Biggest carlton vs pies game in 40 years.

Remove this Banner Ad

2 irrelevant clubs,neither will make a bump on the rest of the 8 regardless of who wins,let me guess,Carlton will have yet another 1979 premiership
reunion before the game to mask 25 years plus of complete patheticness
tipping Carlton to beat the most ordinary side in the top 5 with 1 round to go that ive ever seen
if Carlton win both will be eliminated week 1 of finals,take it to the bank

Last edited:

Both these teams have the ability to beat anyone. They are not making up the numbers for a change.

carlton playing for a spot in the top 8. Lose and their season could very well be over.

collingwood playing for a spot in the top 4. Win and they are in. Lose and they are out.

its basically a pies vs blues final.

bring it on.
Sounds like someone has been sucked in by Fox Footy's relentless spruiking of this game (which of course they happen to be broadcasting).

Biggest H&A game ever, according to Fox Footy's own David King.

Nearly 100000 will be there, according to Fox Footy's own Jon Ralph.

Fair dinkum.

2 irrelevant clubs,neither will make a bump on the rest of the 8 regardless of who wins,let me guess,Carlton will have yet another 1979 premiership
reunion before the game to mask 25 years plus of complete patheticness
tipping Carlton to beat the most ordinary side in the top 5 with 1 round to go that ive ever seen
if Carlton win both will be eliminated week 1 of finals,take it to the bank
agreed both out week one. your club saved by the fact you are the 6th least crap team in the 8 this year 👍

Both these teams have the ability to beat anyone. They are not making up the numbers for a change.

carlton playing for a spot in the top 8. Lose and their season could very well be over.

collingwood playing for a spot in the top 4. Win and they are in. Lose and they are out.

its basically a pies vs blues final.

bring it on.
The final I went to in 88 was bigger
That 34 years ago

agreed both out week one. your club saved by the fact you are the 6th least crap team in the 8 this year 👍
Sassy with a hint of delusional self confidence claiming one’s opinion as ‘the fact’ AND a thumbs up emoji ? Someone’s team is on top of the ladder

Nah, biggest in 30 years.

This one was pretty big - round 23, 1992.

Pies playing to secure a top 3 spot. Blues playing to make the finals. They were both 14-6 going into it.

I was at the game - Peak Bogan by any measure.

Neither team was a potential challenger then. West coast and geelong were so far ahead of the rest it wasnt funny.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sounds like someone has been sucked in by Fox Footy's relentless spruiking of this game (which of course they happen to be broadcasting).

Fair dinkum.
I didnt say biggest home and away game ever. I said biggest pies vs blues game in forty years. In part highlighting how weak the rivalry has become given this will be their biggest match in many decades and it aint even a final. Although its awfully close to one.

I thought the final round was supposed to be flexible now? It should be moved to before the Bulldogs game otherwise if the Dogs lose it will take lot of the interest out of it
Dogs won’t lose though as we are injured, poor midfield (dogs strength) and from yesterday showing hawks have checked out for season

Match criticality depends a on the Doggies game prior - if the dogs lose, Carlton will finish eighth no matter the outcome of the match and may end up playing bruise-free footy (which lets face it, isnt that far from their stand modus operandi)

Fair dinkum.
The game is a sell out so should be a crowd of around 90,000, it's a massive game for both clubs

But biggest H&A ever??!!! Not even the biggest of the round in terms of premiership relevance

Why are some posters being so dismissive? It ticks every box as all you could ask for from a H&A game.

Traditional AFL rivals - tick
MCG location - tick
Top 4 on the line for 1x club - tick
Top 8 on the line for 1x club - tick
Final round of the year, no chances to make amends for the loser - tick

Someone tell me how a H&A game could be bigger?

Neither team was a potential challenger then. West coast and geelong were so far ahead of the rest it wasnt funny.
WC definitely were not a challenger. They only managed to become a challenger because Collingwood choked in the first final against StKilda, which allowed the winner of 4th v 5th to be granted a second chance.

Gee, WB and Collingwood all finished the season with 16-6.

Match criticality depends a on the Doggies game prior - if the dogs lose, Carlton will finish eighth no matter the outcome of the match and may end up playing bruise-free footy (which lets face it, isnt that far from their stand modus operandi)
That’s a good point. If Hawthorn have sown up the win by 3:20, Carlton will have little to play for providing they don’t lose by 150 points. If they are off by a few percent, Collingwood will likely win the game easily. Yes it would be anti climatic but I am hoping hawthorn get the job done in the earlier game.

Why are some posters being so dismissive? It ticks every box as all you could ask for from a H&A game.

Traditional AFL rivals - tick
MCG location - tick
Top 4 on the line for 1x club - tick
Top 8 on the line for 1x club - tick
Final round of the year, no chances to make amends for the loser - tick

Someone tell me how a H&A game could be bigger?

Top 4 on the line for us is huge but imagine if we both needed to win to make the top 8!

FWIW I really hope the Dogs win (which they should) so that it doesn't lose any spark whatsoever. Even though it's probably better for us if the Dogs lose and the Blues know they don't have to win.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back