Injury Blue Healers Medical Room - 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

Great news on CCurnow. It will be amazing to see him playing this year.

I think oppo defenders sort of know what to expect from the big men like Harry and Levi types but Charlie has got that X factor that would make defenders absolutely sh*t themselves not knowing what his next move might be.
He doesn't need to kick 60 goals a year, but a healthy Charlie who can kick 40-45 could be the missing piece of x-factor around the ground. We have heaps of A-grade talent everywhere else...

General defenders - Doc and Saad
Key defenders - Weitering and Jones
Inside mids - Cripps and Ed
Outside mids/wingers - Walsh and Murphy
General forwards - Martin and Fisher
Key forwards - Harry and Charlie?/Gov?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not unusual for a young tall guy to get a stress reaction in the back. AFL is becoming harder and harder for young players to get AFL ready with the AFL's focus on making players tired not helping the cause. I'm not a fan of it because development timeframes are getting longer and athletes are getting games over natural footballers. We're asking guys to put on size and build their running up to crazy levels and it takes a toll on young bodies and a lot of time unless they are freaks.

I think we are lucky that TDK is not looking like being a real long injury. I am guessing we caught it early and that means we still get to see him early in the season. Just a shame it's not going to be the perfect preparation for him.

Hopefully we get to see Curnow come into the side mid season and Kemp later in the year.

I still think we are going ok injury wise. We're a young side pushing players to develop and we have brought guys to our club who have an injury history so we can probably expect a few extra injuries there but really we are probably about standard for injured players at this stage.
I personally think the AFL would rather clubs stop doing the half field press and leave the tall players at home inside 50. The idea may be to make players more tired, but I feel like the reaction the AFL would want is that to alleviate the fatigue clubs will change structures to a more traditional full field set up, giving some players a break at times up forward.

Personally I think coaches are way too stubborn for that and will still play the manic press and pressure then whinge at how fatigued players are and tell the AFL to change it back. At that point I hope the AFL responds reminding coaches they don't implement high physical demand gameplans, the coaches do. Respond to the rule changes or accept the extra-fatigued (and possibly injured) players, your choice.

So what's our current injury list?

Curnow - indefinite
Kemp - 2 months?
TDK - 2 months?
Marchbank - ?
Eddie - ?

With Newman and Docherty on restricted duties?
Pretty sure I've seen photos of Newman & Doc in contact training recently so think they're ok. Jack was out of training for a bit but have seen him in the same photos so no issues there. Can't remember if I've seen Marchbank.

Cripps said this morning Charlie doing alright and expects him right for 'the main part of the season' or something along those lines... whatever that means.

Eddie was meant to be 2 or 3 weeks, something short like that, just a calf. Hopefully it's doesn't become a constant recurring 'old man' calf injury.

Then there's Pitto after being knocked out the other day (what was it, a couple of days before TDK hurt his back?...)

Pretty sure I've seen photos of Newman & Doc in contact training recently so think they're ok. Jack was out of training for a bit but have seen him in the same photos so no issues there. Can't remember if I've seen Marchbank.

Cripps said this morning Charlie doing alright and expects him right for 'the main part of the season' or something along those lines... whatever that means.

Eddie was meant to be 2 or 3 weeks, something short like that, just a calf. Hopefully it's doesn't become a constant recurring 'old man' calf injury.

Then there's Pitto after being knocked out the other day (what was it, a couple of days before TDK hurt his back?...)
I'm not reading too much into this - he hasn't started running yet

He doesn't need to kick 60 goals a year, but a healthy Charlie who can kick 40-45 could be the missing piece of x-factor around the ground. We have heaps of A-grade talent everywhere else...

General defenders - Doc and Saad
Key defenders - Weitering and Jones
Inside mids - Cripps and Ed
Outside mids/wingers - Walsh and Murphy
General forwards - Martin and Fisher
Key forwards - Harry and Charlie?/Gov?
Charlie drawing a defender is enough to let Harry or Mitch off the chain.
Just needs to be able to play and run.

I personally think the AFL would rather clubs stop doing the half field press and leave the tall players at home inside 50. The idea may be to make players more tired, but I feel like the reaction the AFL would want is that to alleviate the fatigue clubs will change structures to a more traditional full field set up, giving some players a break at times up forward.

Personally I think coaches are way too stubborn for that and will still play the manic press and pressure then whinge at how fatigued players are and tell the AFL to change it back. At that point I hope the AFL responds reminding coaches they don't implement high physical demand gameplans, the coaches do. Respond to the rule changes or accept the extra-fatigued (and possibly injured) players, your choice.

Teams will do whatever wins them games. If the ability to run up and back wins teams games over teams playing guys who are naturally talented footballers but cant run up and back all day then they will and they are.

The AFL are pushing s**t up hill with their rule changes. Teams will just play more talented athletes over more talented footballers. Teams will go more tempo slow footy rather than spread the field and attack. IMO let teams defend and encourage teams to play guys whore are stronger bodied, taller and more talented footballers than they are athletes. That would mean no interchange restrictions and 5 on the bench IMO. I would like to think that the making players more fatigued will open the play up more but I believe it will create a trend of less talented athletes playing more and more tempo slow bomb up the line play. I hope I am wrong but I am already seeing evidence I am not by current interchange caps and how teams are reacting and selecting players accordingly.

Coaches are there to win and win flags, not please us.

Our 2007 super team were 15 years ahead of its time going by that logic.

The name of the game is to get the pill and dispose of it to advantage, s**t footballers with a good tank will be chasing all day as they’ll have the ball significantly less and the good footballers will be as fresh as a daisy.

10 interchanges a quarter including breaks, maximum...and then well start to see a return to positional football of yesteryear

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Teams will do whatever wins them games. If the ability to run up and back wins teams games over teams playing guys who are naturally talented footballers but cant run up and back all day then they will and they are.

The AFL are pushing sh*t up hill with their rule changes. Teams will just play more talented athletes over more talented footballers. Teams will go more tempo slow footy rather than spread the field and attack. IMO let teams defend and encourage teams to play guys whore are stronger bodied, taller and more talented footballers than they are athletes. That would mean no interchange restrictions and 5 on the bench IMO. I would like to think that the making players more fatigued will open the play up more but I believe it will create a trend of less talented athletes playing more and more tempo slow bomb up the line play. I hope I am wrong but I am already seeing evidence I am not by current interchange caps and how teams are reacting and selecting players accordingly.

Coaches are there to win and win flags, not please us.
Also increases the risk of injury to fatigued players.
Coaches will always find a way to exploit situations given enough time and resources. Said it before, specify the soft cap spend to limit the number of coaches and maximise player welfare roles and resources.

Also increases the risk of injury to fatigued players.
Coaches will always find a way to exploit situations given enough time and resources. Said it before, specify the soft cap spend to limit the number of coaches and maximise player welfare roles and resources.
Breaking News: several ex players hired as welfare roles that require them to be on the training track with the players

Breaking News: several ex players hired as welfare roles that require them to be on the training track with the players
Teams will find a way to manipulate any situation. I get that. Coaches tend to be risk averse with a focus on minimising scoreboard damage and that annoys the hell out of me. In the early 80s, basketball included a 3 point line which revolutionised the game. What could revolutionise AFLA to increase scoring and a fan friendly spectacle?

Teams will find a way to manipulate any situation. I get that. Coaches tend to be risk averse with a focus on minimising scoreboard damage and that annoys the hell out of me. In the early 80s, basketball included a 3 point line which revolutionised the game. What could revolutionise AFLA to increase scoring and a fan friendly spectacle?
Goal kicking practice and recruiting footballers instead of athletes.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back