Injury Blue Healers Medical Room - 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Obviously I'm no expert but surely there's a much greater injury risk if they go from limited contact to full contact in round 1 (or zero). Not concussion based but shoulders etc.
Borrowing from the NFL, former players talk about how much the limited contact training leads to more injuries these days than when they played due to players not being conditioned to getting hit and knowing how to take a hit, land etc.

I'd completely agree with the AFL in this, you need to know how to take contact in a pack, how to fall, how to properly standup in a tackle and knowing how to absorb contact - all these sorts of things. Going into the AFL and not knowing how to take a tackle, or make a tackle, knowing how to enter a contest just makes everything more dangerous.

Knowing how to fall and handle contact is a skill, how can you get better at the skill if you aren't allowed to practice it.

Borrowing from the NFL, former players talk about how much the limited contact training leads to more injuries these days than when they played due to players not being conditioned to getting hit and knowing how to take a hit, land etc.

I'd completely agree with the AFL in this, you need to know how to take contact in a pack, how to fall, how to properly standup in a tackle and knowing how to absorb contact - all these sorts of things. Going into the AFL and not knowing how to take a tackle, or make a tackle, knowing how to enter a contest just makes everything more dangerous.

Knowing how to fall and handle contact is a skill, how can you get better at the skill if you aren't allowed to practice it.

100%. Plus the fact that concussions are pretty rare in training as it is. There might have been 1-2 during the whole home and away season last year.

You need to weigh up the cost vs benefit with all this stuff. I personally think we are going a little over the top. It is a contact sport and you will never be able to legislate concussions out of the game. What you can do is put sensible precutions in place to minimise the risks which the AFL is already doing.

100%. Plus the fact that concussions are pretty rare in training as it is. There might have been 1-2 during the whole home and away season last year.

You need to weigh up the cost vs benefit with all this stuff. I personally think we are going a little over the top. It is a contact sport and you will never be able to legislate concussions out of the game. What you can do is put sensible precutions in place to minimise the risks which the AFL is already doing.
AFL won't have a choice in the matter. There's a coroner is telling them they have to put further measures in place, and there's a class action already underway claiming the AFL knew of the risks of concussion, and haven't done enough. Changes will be forced upon the AFL, whether we like it or not.

AFL won't have a choice in the matter. There's a coroner is telling them they have to put further measures in place, and there's a class action already underway claiming the AFL knew of the risks of concussion, and haven't done enough. Changes will be forced upon the AFL, whether we like it or not.

I agree they need to be seen to be doing more but they do have a choice in making sensible changes that actually make a meaningful difference rather then just completely pandering to the haters by turning the game into touch footbal. That's what leadership is. Absorbing the external noise and making balanced decisions, not just caving in and reacting to it.

I keep hearing the argument that the afl needs to do more given the coming court cases. Keep in mind that these are historic claims. The AFL has done plenty and will continue to do more since those situations occured which they can point to. In either case it wont lessen any compensation. Those lawyers and players (in some cases warranted, others less so) are out for blood and smell a pay day.

Do those helmet things like Angus Brayshaw wears reduce any head collision injuries?
I know he has concussion history, but would the result of Maynard's impact be lessened much by his headgear?
I reckon all players would have to be required to wear something like this 'afro' style in spongey foam to eliminate rattled brains.
(It would be sight behold though)
diplein-helmet.gif

Do those helmet things like Angus Brayshaw wears reduce any head collision injuries?
I know he has concussion history, but would the result of Maynard's impact be lessened much by his headgear?
I reckon all players would have to be required to wear something like this 'afro' style in spongey foam to eliminate rattled brains.
(It would be sight behold though)
diplein-helmet.gif

0 difference. Studies have been done. Even Brayshaw has admitted it's purely psychological for his mum. Full helmets like nfl would make a difference but not sure how that would go in AFL lol.

0 difference. Studies have been done. Even Brayshaw has admitted it's purely psychological for his mum. Full helmets like nfl would make a difference but not sure how that would go in AFL lol.
I didn't think they worked in nfl. The damage is done with the brain hitting the skull. Helmets, I thought, did very little to mitigate that. Maybe even making tacklers go harder coz it's ”safe",and tacklees a bit more complacent about bracing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I didn't think they worked in nfl. The damage is done with the brain hitting the skull. Helmets, I thought, did very little to mitigate that. Maybe even making tacklers go harder coz it's ”safe",and tacklees a bit more complacent about bracing.

I know thats why the padded helmets dont work but assumed the NFL style full helmets were different though I havent checked tbh. Just assumed they did otherwise why wear them? I guess they could still protect against other stuff like cuts, bruises, fractures ect.

That's what I thought, but the benefits of quality helmets greatly reduce motorbike brain damage incidents.
Which defies the shaken brain scenario?

That's what I thought, but the benefits of quality helmets greatly reduce motorbike brain damage incidents.
Which defies the shaken brain scenario?
I dare say Concussion isn't even considered with regard to Motorcycle Helmets.
They are designed to stop a shattered watermelon all over the road effect, rather than a shaken brain.

I dare say Concussion isn't even considered with regard to Motorcycle Helmets.
They are designed to stop a shattered watermelon all over the road effect, rather than a shaken brain.
I think protective headgear like Brayshaw's, only about 75mm thick with progressively denser rubber/foam as it nears the skull would totally eliminate concussions.
But 'the look' would be f*****g hilarious.
Will this be enforced for the 2028 season...stay tuned.

I know thats why the padded helmets dont work but assumed the NFL style full helmets were different though I havent checked tbh. Just assumed they did otherwise why wear them? I guess they could still protect against other stuff like cuts, bruises, fractures ect.
If anything their helmets have shown to actually be detrimental.

Not specifically because of helmet design, but because of how they're used. They're quite heavy and players lead with their heads into hits all the time, they've tried to outlaw it but there's only so much you can do. Leading with the shoulder wearing a helmet that size means it's still right there, and is usually the first thing to hit the opponent.

Offensive/defensive lineman in particular hit heads every single play, their helmets go directly into eachother.

They do protect from impact though, fractures cuts etc, which is quite important given the amount of blind hits and unavoidable head hits that happen

It'll be interesting to see how the more conservative fans deal with change being foisted on them by way of former player led lawsuits.

Like you, I think something will have to give, like it or not.

Also it's not even the major concussions that are considered a risk for CTE later in life, fairly sure low grade head bumps, like in a normal, non slinging tackle, add up over a career to 10,000s of minor impacts that each cause almost imperceptible but lasting damage.

That will be the thing to force major change because the hugely traumatic head impacts are currently being phased out by legislating rules and penalties.

They've done quite a few studies on the efficacy of the different brands of NFL helmets in preventing concussion and are pushing the higher rates ones to the players. I guess we have the example of Rugby League with the front rowers smashing skulls all the time to observe what not wearing helmets does.

Full NFL-style helmets would be worse in AFL because of the nature of the game - the reduction in peripheral vision alone would cause more injuries in a 360-degree game, with players unable to see opponents coming at them. Different story when two teams line up facing eachother, most players just engage in a grapple, and there are maybe 2 blokes who are in danger of getting tackled on any given play (quarterback and receiver).

I guess we have the example of Rugby League with the front rowers smashing skulls all the time to observe what not wearing helmets does.

Is it even possible to assess brain damage in NRL players? :p

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back