Injury Blue Healers Medical Room - 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hope he sticks with us. Rehabbing for 12 months on the other side of the globe to home at 19 years old would be quite difficult. It’s a shame he won’t be able to work on his ball skills for a large portion of that.

So we have an extra list spot now?
if he stays here to rehab he will probably get homesick I would imagine, so he will most likely end up over there and could lose his interest in trying AFL. It is tough for the kid but most of the Irish players don`t make it here for a reason, as OZ is not their homeland and getting injured and then recovering is more comfortable surrounded by family. We had just better hope that his hunger to try our game (and get paid for doing that of course!!) remains, but he must be doubtful from here......hope he proves me wrong!!!

Who signed off on him playing? Extremely poor imo. No room for leeway in a professional environment.

Would we let Cripps play in a semi-pro basketball game? Or Hollands in a soccer game?

Amateur hour.

Hate to be that guy (not really) but it had to be said.
Quite a few players play cricket in the off season

ACL's are rarely collision injuries. If it was going to go it was going to go. Gaelic footy is barely full contact. Got to do something over summer to keep yourself fit no issues him playing Gaelic footy.
Better it goes now, than once he is up and going. Can rehab at home, be around family and see how he goes about it. Never a good time to do an ACL. But in this case from a club perspective better now than 3 years of development in.
Good luck to him on his rehab.

Provided they're not contagious
Might be worth having him do his rehab at the club.

Might do him good to recover in a professional environment and also be part of the team so he has longer assimilate to both the game and game plan etc.

Also build some chemistry with teammates.

Then he can start in 2025 and hut the ground running.

Could still have a few months at home over the course of the year to combat homesickness.

On SM-F926B using BigFooty.com mobile app

I'm sure we will hook him up with some soccer or other professional clubs medical departments up that way to help get him through his rehab. We're not the only country that knows how to rehab an ACL and I'm sure with our remote support and assistance we'll get him sorted. If he's not professional enough to rehab in his own environment and try to grab the opportunity we've given to him than nothing lost.

Might be worth having him do his rehab at the club.

Might do him good to recover in a professional environment and also be part of the team so he has longer assimilate to both the game and game plan etc.

Also build some chemistry with teammates.

Then he can start in 2025 and hut the ground running.

Could still have a few months at home over the course of the year to combat homesickness.

I wouldn’t blame him for wanting to rehab at home. At 19 years old it would be incredibly tough doing the work here away from family and friends.

But equally, we are paying him a good wage and we see him as a part of our future. We recruited him with Rob as a duo to make their transition easier. We didn’t have to invest in him and take the chance.

If he gets through his rehab in Australia and sticks at it I am confident he will make it as a player. If he can push through that adversity he can do anything. 194cm and as athletic as anyone on the list. So exciting. Over to you Matt.

I wouldn’t blame him for wanting to rehab at home. At 19 years old it would be incredibly tough doing the work here away from family and friends.

But equally, we are paying him a good wage and we see him as a part of our future. We recruited him with Rob as a duo to make their transition easier. We didn’t have to invest in him and take the chance.

If he gets through his rehab in Australia and sticks at it I am confident he will make it as a player. If he can push through that adversity he can do anything. 194cm and as athletic as anyone on the list. So exciting. Over to you Matt.
I don't think it needs to be one or the other. There is scope for him to spend time at home and here over the next 15 months.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

ACL playing Gaelic footy :'(

Don't you love transparency?

Don't you love transparency?

Sorry, what are we looking at exactly?

EDIT: ohh saw your post in the other thread...the fact that the injury happened 1 and a half months ago...

Yep, definately didn't list him in that case. We might have if he was Cat B but as a Cat A no way.

Makes him playing all the more crazier. Not blaming the kid. Not even blaming the club. Accidents happen and we gave him permission but regardless if it was me and I had a professional contract on the line, I would not be taking any risk.

You can say it could have just as easily have happened during preseason. That's true. But for him, he would've been signed and in our system, therefore much more secure (and being paid).

Saw George Hewett today with a cast on his arm.Interesting if he had a procedure or had an accident.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Just because he hasn't got injured doesn't mean it's fine. You can keep fit without playing a contact sport. Professional athletes need to make sacrifices across the board to extract the best out of themselves and at a basic level meet contractual obligations.

I'm more upset at the club for allowing him to play more than at the kid for actually playIng though, they should know better, he wouldn't have yet.

It's called risk mitigation.
Most ACLS are non contact.

Gov - concussion :(

Carlton star Mitch McGovern has suffered a concussion during a Blues training session as the league considers whether to limit clubs’ contact training to help prevent head knocks.
McGovern endured a head knock at training on Monday and will miss the final two training sessions leading into the Christmas break.

While the gun backman has entered concussion protocols, he is expected to make a full recovery in time for training to resume in mid January.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back