Bluemour Season Blast Off Edition XXXIII

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yep, big no for me also on the Hawks players don’t need them for the draft price and money they’d cost…
Keep next years first rounder as well…
I just reckon you put a few irons in the fire now about a pick swap and wait for draft night - if the player we want is there, you pull the trigger.

EDIT: Does anyone know if the trade rules are similar to previous years where the deadline only relates to player movement and picks can be traded up until the draft?

Sayers is quite clearly not going to be a President in the shadows like most of them including the Gooch, he’s definitely made a conscious decision to be “out there” considering I haven’t heard boo from him in the whole time he’s been on the board.

Not sure why he’s decided that’s the way to go, but I don’t think it will be stopping anytime soon.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

The board and Luke copped a fair bit of flack from the media because they didn't do things in the time frame that the media wanted them to.

What do you know, they took their time and did the coaching panel properly and appear to have done an excellent job doing it.

Then, as a club, we have gone out and hit all of our recruiting targets. Tick.

I think I'd prefer a president with a bit of passion for his job and a bit of a "stuck it right up em" attitude as opposed to a mild mannered accountant approach.

Yes you can go over the top in your jingoism, but this doesn't.

All good mate. I'm sure more share your opinions than share mine and that's cool and I will say that I'm not an "I told you so" kind of person if all goes pearshape.

One question though, where do you see us finishing next year?

I'll go on record as saying that I expect top 6 at least and would have that same expectation had we not sacked Teague.

Hoping we're wanting to trade our future 1st for a 1st this year for the draft (to get a year advantage) or to target a ruck. Quite a few apparently available. Not sure if Young is the backup we're seeking. Looks like he will be fixed in the backline - which is what he wants too.
How many teams play two genuine or decent rucks these days?
You run with TDK as the only ruck, then get Harry to chop out in forward 50, Young to chop out in def 50 and SOS to chop out in the middle of the ground when TDK is on the bench or resting forward.

Sayers is quite clearly not going to be a President in the shadows like most of them including the Gooch, he’s definitely made a conscious decision to be “out there” considering I haven’t heard boo from him in the whole time he’s been on the board.

Not sure why he’s decided that’s the way to go, but I don’t think it will be stopping anytime soon.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Dare I say it, a bit like Eddie in that way? At least he's got passion for seeing us become a powerhouse on field again - something his predecessor lacked.

Your not suggesting Bevo does logical things are you?
For a packet of chips worth a look.
Appreciate your thoughts but my take is that if we are looking at a ruckman he would have to clearly be a better ruckman than we have or be a good ruck forward.

Don't think that Sweet is either of these. Might be cheap but still takes a list spot.

IF:

You listen to anything Damian Barrett has to say and believe it…

THEN:

Uppercut yourself repeatedly

Loves to hate on Carlton. Clickbait journo who shops in the bargain bin at specsavers.

Problem is, our board for several years has listened and actioned based upon his commentary of the club.

4 years of Mitchell in this squad right now is 1000% worth it.
[/QUOTE Mitchell of JOM would be great gets for us and top off the midfield nicely. But only if the hawks are giving them away ie pick 25 for one of them so save them salary cap, but I suspect they want to move them on for more more draft capital rather than salary dump so I don’t think we are in the mix. Conversely if we think we are going to make finals next year is a future first in the 11-15 range worth it for Mitchell. Maybe

If the Hawks are willing to subsidise the salary of JOM or Mitchell then, get it done, either of them would go straight to being our second bst mid behind Walsh, both have at least 4 seasons of footy left.

I don’t understand the idea that, we won’t be contending for a few more years, we just sacked a coach because we underachieved last year and underachieved this year, if we aren’t ready to seriously challenge for a premiership in the next two seasons, then we are in a bigger hole than I thought.

Either one of JOM or Mitchell, puts us in the top 3 midfields in the league, if either came, we could trade setters to offset any picks paid, it wouldn’t cost much at all.

If the Hawks are willing to subsidise the salary of JOM or Mitchell then, get it done, either of them would go straight to being our second bst mid behind Walsh, both have at least 4 seasons of footy left.

I don’t understand the idea that, we won’t be contending for a few more years, we just sacked a coach because we underachieved last year and underachieved this year, if we aren’t ready to seriously challenge for a premiership in the next two seasons, then we are in a bigger hole than I thought.

Either one of JOM or Mitchell, puts us in the top 3 midfields in the league, if either came, we could trade setters to offset any picks paid, it wouldn’t cost much at all.
I was agreeing with your position until the suggestion that Setterfield has any trade capital. He's worth less than SPS.....

(Log in to remove this ad.)

All good mate. I'm sure more share your opinions than share mine and that's cool and I will say that I'm not an "I told you so" kind of person if all goes pearshape.

One question though, where do you see us finishing next year?

I'll go on record as saying that I expect top 6 at least and would have that same expectation had we not sacked Teague.
Opinions are exactly that. Not too fussed either way with L.S. but do love his passion.

I know that there are many variables in a season like injuries etc. However 99 times out of 100 teams finish where they finish because that's where they deserve to be.

So unless we have a catastrophic run with injuries and assuming that our coaching panel has a semblance of a competitive game plan I think that we should be aiming for 14 wins. That should put us near that 6 mark but that can vary from year to year.

Our defence on paper looks outstanding. Just needs a bit of defensive cover from the midfield which we have specifically recruited to achieve. Jones, Weitering, Plowman, Saad, Williams, Stocker, Docherty, Newman, Young and Marchbank reads well.

Midfield has gone from a couple of proven and hope that the rest come good to Sn excellent solid two way core. If Dow or Cuningham or Fisher or setterfield were to become the players we hope then look out.

Forward line looks very good, particularly if Charlie can get back to his best. Mid sized forwards need to be consistent. Mitch McGovern, Jack Martin and JSOS will all have chances.

Our main weaknesses look to be ruck although expect tdk to improve. Pittonet is much maligned but was competitive against all early in the season but doesn't do a lot around the ground. Mirkov is a project.

Small forward is another area that we are not naturally strong with. Hoping that owies or durdin jump up and grab it or we might try and draft one.

Long story short. We are as best placed as we have been since 2011 with our list. We probably have better depth now than then. We've been through a few false dawns though so I can understand why people are reluctant to get too carried away.

I think that 2022 will be an exciting time to be a Carlton supporter.

That’s pretty insane, 26 is still prime as an AFL footballer. They are going a HARD rebuild if this is true.

If a Mitchell type in terms of quality was being thrown away/they pay part of the salary, I would say we need to do some due diligence on it. But for the most part I don’t see us getting involved. Freo look like they’re going to be the busy ones for the rest of the period.

No trading next years first round pick.

Not even to get into the first round this year. This year is going to be a s**t shoot. Let's try our luck with 2nd and 3rd round picks.

Save next years first for the draft or trade needs.

Austin and team can sit back now and chill for the rest of trade period. If an absolute bargain pops up, sure let's look at it, but no need for any big moves from here.

How many teams play two genuine or decent rucks these days?
You run with TDK as the only ruck, then get Harry to chop out in forward 50, Young to chop out in def 50 and SOS to chop out in the middle of the ground when TDK is on the bench or resting forward.
From the finals teams
Demons Gawn Jackson
Bullldogs Martin English
Port Lycett Ladhams
Lions McI Fullerton ( probably wouldn't have if McStay/Hipwood were available)

That's the 4 best teams in the league and you can add Swans - Hickey McLean

I just had a horrible thought - was yesterday (with the Cerra and Young trade) our high-point for the off-season.

is it all downhill from here ??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back