Bluemour 'Silly Season' Edition XXXIV

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
My apologies if this caused offence - not much I can do about it now - as it’s been quoted and I’ve been comment shamed as well, even if I delete the comment.

So apologies to all that have been offended.

Honestly mate, you're not the only one. I've probably been guilty of it in the past too. Think it's one of those really innocuous, passive/casual forms of racism that people don't even realise they're perpetuating - those harmless-seeming suggestions that a delisted (or trade-able) indigenous player just needs a sensible indigenous mentor to whisper in their ear and cultivate a professional attitude.

It's the kind of comment that stems from some actual examples, but then gets casually applied to every vaguely similar scenario thereafter as though it's a panacea for wayward black fellas.

Good opportunity for learning here, and not just you as the unfortunate perpetrator but anyone else who happens by the comments before they disappear into the archive.

Bowes and salary are the sideshow. The point would be to hit the draft with 7+10.

We drafted Harry and Charlie with 10 and 12. That set us up for a decade.

7 and 10 has the potential to give us another 2 X 200-250 game players.

If everything goes to plan we won't have another top 10 pick for 5-8 years. And our cap will also be tight for the foreseeable future.

On SM-F926B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Agree with some luck with the perennially injured and low impact type players, we should do better in 2023 no doubt.
However all teams need to improve, there's no escaping it, the final 8 in 2022 will improve their respective teams during trade and draft periods.

My apologies if this caused offence - not much I can do about it now - as it’s been quoted and I’ve been comment shamed as well, even if I delete the comment.

So apologies to all that have been offended.
Nah, I don't think you meant it in a bad way

Bowes and salary are the sideshow. The point would be to hit the draft with 7+10.

If everything goes to plan we won't have another top 10 pick for 5-8 years. And our cap will also be tight for the foreseeable future.

You can frame Bowes and the salary as sideshow, but the reality is they're a major component. It's also, in my view, lazy/clickbaity reporting that has created this idea that Gold Coast are giving away Bowes and Pick 7 for peanuts. They're not. They're gonna want a decent pick back, probably in next year's first round or early second...

10 and 12 got us Harry and Charlie. The next year it would have got us Bowes and Simpkin.

6 got us SPS.

3 and 10 got us Dow and LOB.

7 and 10 might get us 2x 200-250 game players, or it might get us a couple of ordinary players who struggle to notch 100 ordinary games before being flipped for a third rounder.

We shouldn't sacrifice our future first rounder unless it's on draft night, and a player we really like slides a bit and is 100% available for us to take.

Sorry how does Soldo solve that issue?
Soldo can play full time ruck as the a solo ruck and can also play forward and behind the ball as a resting marking option. Pittonet unfortunately cannot do either to an acceptable and is nothing more than a ruck contest player at this stage.

Soldo allows you to play Silvagni or Dekoning as his tandem and when it's their turn to take their split he can atleast provide a marking outlet around the ground rather than being entirely useless.

Love Pitto but its an issue and for the time being TDK simply cannot take handle solo ruck minutes. Would be a good stop gap.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Soldo can play full time ruck as the a solo ruck and can also play forward and behind the ball as a resting marking option. Pittonet unfortunately cannot do either to an acceptable and is nothing more than a ruck contest player at this stage.

Pittonet can't play forward but let's not pretend Soldo is materially better in that role.

The bloke has kicked more than 2 goals in a season just twice in his career.

You can frame Bowes and the salary as sideshow, but the reality is they're a major component. It's also, in my view, lazy/clickbaity reporting that has created this idea that Gold Coast are giving away Bowes and Pick 7 for peanuts. They're not. They're gonna want a decent pick back, probably in next year's first round or early second...

10 and 12 got us Harry and Charlie. The next year it would have got us Bowes and Simpkin.

6 got us SPS.

3 and 10 got us Dow and LOB.

7 and 10 might get us 2x 200-250 game players, or it might get us a couple of ordinary players who struggle to notch 100 ordinary games before being flipped for a third rounder.

We shouldn't sacrifice our future first rounder unless it's on draft night, and a player we really like slides a bit and is 100% available for us to take.

Yep. We are just as likely to draft another SPS, Dow, LOB (doing better lately) or Stocker with 7 as we are to draft another Harry or Charlie.

Do we do the trade to get Bowes and 7 for a future 1st (I imagine GC would want a 1st) or do we keep the future 1st and try to draft our own Georgiades or SDK? Bowes is a salary cap killer and 7 has zero actual value right now, the value comes in years of development and the hope that the player is AFL quality.

Hard no for me.

Pittonet can't play forward but let's not pretend Soldo is materially better in that role.

The bloke has kicked more than 2 goals in a season just twice in his career.
Soldo isn't Max Gawn but he's considerably better in all areas of the ground as an aerial threat than Pitto. Is he worth giving up any real currency? No, but as a cheap option he'd likely replace Pitto and provide depth until TDK is ready.

That's my take on it as well. Given where the list is at and a few high picks that haven't come on, a 7 and 10 at this juncture would be huge for us.

Poor Saints. They miss out on another one.

Saints miss out because they had to add a “douchebag clause” and realised they have already filled their quota on the list.

I've seen this comment made a bit but I don't think it's a coincidence the AFL come out with a new policy that condones 'buying' picks through salary dumps right before the Bowes news emerged.

I don't think the club that takes this deal will need to give up much in return to be honest. Any second round pick will be the best offer imo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back