La Vache

Premiership Player
Aug 4, 2005
Melb
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
flyers, suns
At odds with Murphy's omnipresence, I was not even aware of this until today. Another spindly footballer gets to 300. I really like this game milestone mainly because there are no s**t footballers who have made it.

So what about Bob's career? I remember vaguely the first time I saw him play. Not who or where or even when, just the disbelief from my mum and I that someone with that physique would be let anywhere near an AFL match. He looked like a 14 year old child. I think he was a first rounder and was considered at the time to be a very high-class prospect with great skill, a good mark for his size and there were possibly some Robbie Flower comparisons.

Really he was a good player very early on but for quite a while I felt like he plateaued as a footballer mainly because he was required to play all over the ground, including a couple of seasons as almost a CHF for Eade's short people. I reckon this period was where I started to like him as a footballer because he was undersized, but performed a very effective lead up role. And quite apart from his skinny outside reputation he was a very courageous aerialist with very strong hands and a gut runner. Those were some weird teams the dogs put out and Murphy was an unlikely lynch pin.

He is one of the more visually effortless footballers of his era, pace with a long stride like some great indigenous players. Decisions and kicking are brilliant. Good left side. Murphy can be simply beautiful to watch.

He is seemingly well liked by most people who are close to him and is of course credited, along with Beveridge, with the repair and resurgence of the Bulldogs. His widely appreciated writing for the Age started the ball rolling on a cult image, and he has delivered some very poignant articles, mixed in with quite a bit of lazy, whimsical shite, in my opinion.

Bob is very polished in front of the camera and the transformation from awkward spotty weed to powerhouse AFL media figure is now complete. His public persona on AFL360 has been huge in the changing image of the Bulldogs. How much does something like that matter? I don't know, someone will have to tell me. What does matter in footy though is people who become part of the fabric of their club. Bob Murphy is not as good as EJ Whitten, Charlie Sutton, Doug Hawkins, Chris Grant or Brad Johnson. But he is probably as big a part of the Dogs as any of them now.

Give me your honest thoughts and memories of Bob Murphy, 300 gamer.

Congratulations Bob.

A huge accomplishment reserved for the games best- those who can keep transforming themselves to adjust and keep getting picked under different coaches, game plans and laws of the game. A resilient body and superb skills.

I think Bob has added something new to the fabric of the game, as AFL360 put it, the 'poetic footballer'. OP called it whimsical, personally I love this awareness and cherishing of the romance and fun (rascal) elements of our game and the characters that play it.

Onya Bob! If we don't win a flag (not bloody likely in 2017) I'd be delighted for you to collect one.

2nd worst 300 gamer behind Drew Petrie.

Please don't edit my posts to suit your agenda, mods. Its obviously my opinion, it doesn't need to be stated.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

all it needs now to make it really memorable is the miracle on grass 2, premiers beaten by wooden spoon favorites after the siren.

This is eminently possible. Martin, Beams and Rockcliff could have a field day if the dogs mids don't sharpen up quickly.

That said, I expect a 40+ win. But that almost never happens with the dogs.....

I was sort of hoping for some input re. Greatest performances, greatest plays, memories, big match pedigree, finals etc.

The dogs would probably be 1-3 without him - crucial marks, kicks and goals against Collingwood and North. And that's just this year.

Has earned the right to be spoken about as one of the greats of our Club. A terrific contributor over a long time and a great leader through some tough times. Media lays it on pretty thick because he isn't your regular boof head, but he is someone who understands that he has made a living out of other people's passions and dreams. Puts his best into everything. Silky smooth footballer.

Rocca rag doling him in a sling tackle where he did his knee was a low light. He had a few seasons playing as a mobile, CHF where his lateral movement and overhead marking were an absolute delight to watch. That first knee injury pretty much relegated him to a play making HBF.

The dogs would probably be 1-3 without him - crucial marks, kicks and goals against Collingwood and North. And that's just this year.
Pretty sad you rely on one man to get you over the line.

s**t, where have I heard that before...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back