Player Watch Trent Cotchin - Congratulations on 300 games

Remove this Banner Ad

darcytiger

Premiership Player
Apr 11, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Trent Cotchin plays his 300th game against the Saints this weekend.

Has a resume that is in the very top echelon of those that have played the game.

• 3x Premiership Captain
  • Brownlow Medalist
  • Coaches Association Medalist
  • All Australian
  • 3x BnF winner
  • Most games captained at Richmond
  • Most consistent hair 10y+

Took over the reigns at Richmond at 22 years old, put the whole club on his back and the former #2 pick dragged the club out of the wilderness.

Won’t make any top 50/100 ever type lists as a player, but as a driver of culture and a leader he’s been right up there.

Leave your congratulations, thoughts, how much you think it’s a tainted Brownlow or how you still would pick Kreuzer ahead of him.

Congrats Trent, go well.

Well done Trent. Your transformation from a stat padding seagull to a hard nosed leader of men was extremely impressive.
Congratulations on an impressive milestone and career.

Separate from his leadership, when he was younger he was a very very good player. Had that rare ability to do impactful things in big moments.

In 2017, he was leading the Gary Ayres voting heading into the GF, such was his influence in Richmond’s wins over Geelong and GWS

Barack Obama Applause GIF by Obama

Well done very good player.

2nd best, by a bee's dick, RFC skipper ever!
Leader of the recent Revolution. RFC's Leon Trotsky, took on the White Army scum and banished them, they are still pi55ed.

Lot of people bag Cotchin as a player. For fun I compared his stats averages to Joel Selwood’s from 2011-2016.

Not as good a player as Selwood, but in his best 6 year block he wasn’t too far off him stats wise
CotchinSelwood
Disposal avg25.8425.76
Goals + goal assists1.251.67
Clearances5.526.19

(Log in to remove this ad.)

3x premiership captain is an impressive achievement so 300 games well deserved.

I’ll never forget where I was when Cotchin chose to kick into a 20 goal breeze at the Adelaide oval in their final against Port. Epitome of courage.

I’ll never forget where I was when Cotchin chose to kick into a 20 goal breeze at the Adelaide oval in their final against Port. Epitome of courage.
I was on my honeymoon is Positano. Woke up early, checked the score - was 40 something to 0 from memory. Put my phone away and went back to sleep :straining:

A great career and seemingly a great person. Cops a bit off oppo fans cos he's always pushed the limits on field but that's what you want from your leaders. I wouldn't have seen a premiership in my lifetime without Cotchin so I will be forever grateful to him. Not too many football resumes in AFL/VFL history better than Trent Cotchins, thank you Carlton.

Fantastic player.

I cannot think of a player who had a more dramatic turnaround in performance and reputation from two successive finals - the Elim final in 2015 to the Qualifying final in 2017. Followed that up with in my opinion his best and most effective game ever in the Prelim against GWS (although it doesn't look like on the stats sheet). It's easy to forget he was a legitimate gun there in his early career, and for a while there I think he did succumb to padding his stats with cheap touches (not unlike what we did with Ling in 2006) before he reinvented himself. Loved how he played from that point on. Absolutely zero meaningless possessions, and everything was in and under and for the team. You could argue one flaw was he never really became a goalkicker, but he's not alone there.

Great career, well deserved.

Fantastic player.

I cannot think of a player who had a more dramatic turnaround in performance and reputation from two successive finals - the Elim final in 2015 to the Qualifying final in 2017. Followed that up with in my opinion his best and most effective game ever in the Prelim against GWS (although it doesn't look like on the stats sheet). It's easy to forget he was a legitimate gun there in his early career, and for a while there I think he did succumb to padding his stats with cheap touches (not unlike what we did with Ling in 2006) before he reinvented himself. Loved how he played from that point on. Absolutely zero meaningless possessions, and everything was in and under and for the team. You could argue one flaw was he never really became a goalkicker, but he's not alone there.

Great career, well deserved.
well said. Im not sure there a many people that have turned around a rabble club into a dynasty team. The equivalent would be Nathan Jones hanging around for the 2021 flag as captain (+a few more). There is an unbelievable level satisfaction to go through the lean years and be rewarded at the end.

On a side note - I'm happy Selwood turned around his public image of being a ducker in the 2022. Was clearly a legend of the game. There is no better publicity than winning a premiership.

I was in Afghanistan. The worlds aligned and I had that afternoon off, I had to send a request thing to some department in Canberra to get the footy streamed live to the TV on base (we’d usually just get the games on DVDs like 5 weeks later).

Told everyone to leave me the * alone for a couple of hours, had my Richmond guernsey on and sat there with a stunned look on my face until half time. Found something else to do after that.

The fact he’s a x3 premiership captain still has me flabbergasted.

In saying that, congratulations on 300 games at the highest level. Led from the front and performed the captain’s act on so many occasions.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back