Opinion Why is Trent Cotchin hated by so many ?

Remove this Banner Ad

I find him unlikeable because he plays for Richmond mainly. The hair line, facial hair, insurance ad and jumper punches are a mild annoyance. Everyone I know is more Meh then hatred for Trent. Jack Reiwoldt- different story.

He is a smug little prick

Being a faux tough guy, regularly gut punching unsuspecting blokes is a big part. Being the AFL protected species and never getting suspended doesn't help.

His mrs claiming bullying by the media for calling out his s**t performances didn't help

Him & his mrs latest venture into sucking his kids school into forcing their sock brand to be official school uniform doesn't help

His whole diva hub bullshit. Once again his mrs playing a big part

Know some people that have bought his Cameo (or whatever it's called) bday messages for friends. Fair to say he comes off as a w***er in those too

Sent from my SM-S908E using Tapatalk
You've developed a whole world of delusions about the Cotchins.
It seems to be far right, mens' rights, MAGA types that have created this mythological Trent persona. You know, the easily conned, bigoted stupids of this world. He's a massive trigger for them. Don't know why he's such a focus for them, but I think it's largely because his wife doesn't know her place and he refuses to violently put her back in her box like they think a real man should.

The other group that apparently detest him are Crows supporters and other non-Vics who seem to have convinced themselves that a non suspension that wasn't there in the first place in 2017 is undeniable truth that they are victims of unbearable injustices by a Vic-biased conspiratorial AFL.

I imagine both groups to be generally unhappy, entitled, poorly educated, low income individuals.

I find him unlikeable because he plays for Richmond mainly. The hair line, facial hair, insurance ad and jumper punches are a mild annoyance. Everyone I know is more Meh then hatred for Trent. Jack Reiwoldt- different story.
Yeah pretty much this.

He might be a ripper bloke in reality, and the fact he was best friends with Matty Kreuzer could suggest he's a good sort too.

But yes, he plays for Richmond, has lego hair and always seems to be smirking a lot. Just one of those players that's easier to dislike than others.

He’s a dirty player in his era who gets protected by the AFL and whinged in his twilight years instead of maturing and becoming more humble.

The OP asking this question is like a Dad asking his kids why he’s not cool and trying to justify it.

So far off the mark.

To answer the OP, I think it’s just a lack of knowledge of who Trent really is by oppo supporters. Didn’t Toby Greene seek him out in the off season because of how highly Adam Kingsley spoke of him?

If it wasn’t for Trent, Dusty doesn’t become the player he was and Richmond never become successful, he’s the most caring and loving captain a footy club has ever had

He's kind of like the Taylor Swift of the AFL.....where for some reason everyone just believes the 'nice' persona is a front for secretly being a terrible human being......
So basically just assumption, no proof , basically you're just salty. Cheers for the explanation 😂

He’s a dirty player in his era who gets protected by the AFL and whinged in his twilight years instead of maturing and becoming more humble.

The OP asking this question is like a Dad asking his kids why he’s not cool and trying to justify it.
Dirty player yet other actual dirty players like Barry hall and pickett don't get the same treatment.

To answer the OP, I think it’s just a lack of knowledge of who Trent really is by oppo supporters. Didn’t Toby Greene seek him out in the off season because of how highly Adam Kingsley spoke of him?

If it wasn’t for Trent, Dusty doesn’t become the player he was and Richmond never become successful, he’s the most caring and loving captain a footy club has ever had
I think ppl just don't believe that someone can actually be that good of a bloke

its just a vibe man, no need to get upset.

Have you never seen a celebrity who comes off as arrogant?
Na usually I judge someone more than just smiling 😂 and why would I be upset ? I'm just intrigued hence why I'm asking the question. I'm enjoying seeing the salt and jealousy though , keep it going lads!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

wtf are you on about?
So you can't read too ? You basically defended other actual dog acts but because this person doesn't have an ugly bogan face then they should be hated because they don't look "tough" that's your logic

Why do we have this thread? Trent Cotchin seems like a decent bloke to me.

I actually quite like him. A few years back I got an autograph from him at Woolies in Hobart, when my daughter and I were waiting in line next to him and his missus. I even got my daughter to go and get me a sharpie just for it.

Once he realised what he signed just smirked and said "well played". It was an envelope for a Savoy Day Spa voucher I had in my bag for my wife for Mother's Day.

Brooke was a bit less enthusiastic about things, so was my daughter when I explained what she was just part of.

He's got a dope hairline.

You've developed a whole world of delusions about the Cotchins.
It seems to be far right, mens' rights, MAGA types that have created this mythological Trent persona. You know, the easily conned, bigoted stupids of this world. He's a massive trigger for them. Don't know why he's such a focus for them, but I think it's largely because his wife doesn't know her place and he refuses to violently put her back in her box like they think a real man should.
hahaha come on man if that's what you took from my reasons you are a joke

I think it all started when his wife went into bat for him when he was getting roasted on line by all and sundry (even Richmond supporters) several years ago.

LEAVE TRENT ALONE

And yes he has gotten away with many sniping acts on field (should have been suspended for the 2017 Grand Final)

I don't hate him, just don't respect him or rate him like other modern day premiership captains like Hodge or Selwood.

Incredibly baffling and unusual. This guy is pretty clean cut off the field. He doesn't assault or do any drugs or anything . On the field he led a mediocre team to 3 flags yet you get most oppo fans calling him a dog and ppl bagging him left right and centre.

What's the problem with him ?

He plays tough on the field and sometimes crosses or goes close to crossing the line ?

Though dont many successful captains do that ? Look at Hodge and voss, I saw a video of hodge bumping some players head into a post , yet cotchin does a tummy tap and people start crying ? Even thugs like Barry hall get more love than him

He got off the bump with shiel?

That was 6 years ago , get over it. He went in hard for the ball , to some it deserves a suspension but for that to be the cause of the hate ?

He won Watson's brownlow.

Yes and Mitchell won it too, yet do you see him being hated as much ? It's cotchins fault Watson did drugs ? Lol

It only leads to the most possible explanation . And that is that he is the face of a club who was laughed at by most for many years and now for the last 5 or 6 years are not a laughing stock anymore . And ppl can't handle that. Add to the fact he's squeaky clean image isn't the typical bogan tough image of other leaders hence why people can't identify with that
It's definitely the Kevin Arnold hairstyle.

He's not hated.

Seems like a good bloke, very professional and a good leader.

But fk he'd be a boring yes man commentator.

Many reasons really:

1) Sense of entitlement that he (and his wife) showed during the COVID bubble;
2) Should have been suspended on several occasions, but the VFL always find some BS excuse to get him off;
3) Has two medals that he doesn't deserve: 2012 Brownlow (after Jobe was stripped) and 2017 Premiership (should have been suspended); and last but certainly not least
4) The cocky smirk that's permanently super glued to his face.

Just an objectionable human being all round.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back