Opinion Why is Trent Cotchin hated by so many ?

Remove this Banner Ad

I actually don't have a strong opinion on him, as a Richmond player and Captain I respect him.

But outside of that, I don't really think about him, I probably wouldn't be mates with him if I met him. Although apparently he buys really nice presents for Brooke on valentines day.

No, the drug cheat got disqualified. Cotchin and Mitchell won it fair and square.

Maybe, but drug cheat is contentious in itself - I feel for the bloke, it was the club.

Anyway, what would have been fair is a re-count, the AFL didn't do that. Does it matter that Dangerfield would have got more points on a re-count? What about Scott Thompson and Swanny, runner-up? Garry Ablett?

The recount would have been fair, remove the points Watson got, but then move up the players to get more points.

Then award the Brownlow*

BnF results 2017 onwards

4th, 7th, 19th, 10th, 10th, 6th,

Are those who vote on the Jack Dyer Medal also clueless?
He was still a good player but those results kind of show that especially in 2019 and 2020 he wasn't as vital except for leadership. Which of course is bloody important especially when your club is contending for and winning flags. But most of his elite level output stopped after that fantastic 2017 or 2018 at a push. His last 5 years by veteran standards aren't up there with the greats but it's hardly an insult. By 2019 and 2020 the likes of Prestia, Lynch, Short, Grimes and others stepped up while Martin was still top tier when finals came around.

Maybe, but drug cheat is contentious in itself - I feel for the bloke, it was the club.

Anyway, what would have been fair is a re-count, the AFL didn't do that. Does it matter that Dangerfield would have got more points on a re-count? What about Scott Thompson and Swanny, runner-up? Garry Ablett?

The recount would have been fair, remove the points Watson got, but then move up the players to get more points.

Then award the Brownlow*

there's no asterisk on winning a flag in 2020 in bizzarro covid world. the record books will show that sam mitchell and cotchin won.

jobe, or any of the other essendon players could have gone, hang on, all these jabs are a bit unusual. but they didnt. they had the usual anti doping education, but they rolled with it because they were blinded by the cult of hird.

ancient history now, but they got what they deserved and we move on.

BnF results 2017 onwards

4th, 7th, 19th, 10th, 10th, 6th,

Are those who vote on the Jack Dyer Medal also clueless?
You’re really upset by Trent. Far better career than Kreuzer who the Blues picked ahead of him, cheating themselves out of a desperately needed transformational leader.

Probably third best from his draft year after Dangerfield and Rioli.

Then award the Brownlow*
Remove the Essendon drug cheats and there is a high likelihood Trent gets votes v Essendon in round 9 (29 disposals, 3 goals, 6 tackles, 6 clearances, 6 I50s).

You’re really upset by Trent. Far better career than Kreuzer who the Blues picked ahead of him, cheating themselves out of a desperately needed transformational leader.

Probably third best from his draft year after Dangerfield and Rioli.

I was simply answering the question. I don’t dislike Cotchin. I dislike how overrated he is by Richmond supporters as a player. You’ve just proven my point by rating him higher than Rance. Just ridiculous.

He will be a hall of famer at Richmond and rightly so.

He was 4th in the BnF in 2017 and his finals series that year was phenomenal - He finished 2nd in the Gary Ayers medal votes, behind Dusty.

He was a star of the competition when he was getting 25-30 a week for a few seasons there but he eventually realized that wasn't what best served the team and become one of the most selfless and inspirational leaders for them which is probably the biggest feather in his cap.

Find me one 300 gamer that has won multiple flags and multiple BnFs that isn't a star. Get off it. There's more to being a great footballer than getting 30+ disposals with 10 one-two handballs a game.

Great post. He’d rate Sam ‘25+ uncontested touches a week’ Walsh or Sam ‘watch me get 35 touches off half-back with no impact’ as stars. That’s the problem with Carlton, just have no idea what it takes to win games of football.

He’d be better off asking why Crippa has gone missing so often in the last 5-years when his team desperately needs him to lift. I especially liked Crippa’s zero tackles on the weekend in a must-win game …. Oh, but he’s playing injured, right …… yep, of course he is.

Crippa, Walsh and Docherty could take a leaf out of Cotchin’s playbook … impact games with a block, a tackle, a desperate hand in when your team needs you for once.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

(Log in to remove this ad.)

4th in 2017 and top 10 in every season bar 1. while also missing a lot of games through injury...

Top 10 not considered your best players?

That’s right … if he played every game he finishes top-5 every season (he missed 11 games in 2019 so who knows that season). And as we know, club B&F’s reward not missing games (Stewart made AA in 2022 and finished 10th in Cats B&F as he missed 5 games…. not one of Geelong’s best players…hmmmm)

He was still a good player but those results kind of show that especially in 2019 and 2020 he wasn't as vital except for leadership. Which of course is bloody important especially when your club is contending for and winning flags. But most of his elite level output stopped after that fantastic 2017 or 2018 at a push. His last 5 years by veteran standards aren't up there with the greats but it's hardly an insult. By 2019 and 2020 the likes of Prestia, Lynch, Short, Grimes and others stepped up while Martin was still top tier when finals came around.

He missed 2-games in 2018, 11-games in 2019, 3 in 2020, 5 in 2021 and 4 in 2022. Richmond’s B&F heavily rewards playing every game as you get a score of 0-5 every week, so even an average game can get you a vote. So you need a stack of huge games to finish top-3 if you miss a bunch of games (ala Lynch winning it in 2022).

So 5 x top-10 results in the last 6-years despite missing chunks of games has been pretty good going.

I was simply answering the question. I don’t dislike Cotchin. I dislike how overrated he is by Richmond supporters as a player. You’ve just proven my point by rating him higher than Rance. Just ridiculous.

You’d better prepare to be disappointed when he’s selected in the AFL hall-of-fame. Might even be the first year he’s eligible he’s straight in. Prepare the salt

You’d better prepare to be disappointed when he’s selected in the AFL hall-of-fame. Might even be the first year he’s eligible he’s straight in. Prepare the salt

This is right. If you skipper 3 flags and win a Brownlow+ Coaches MVP, play 300 games and don't get into the AFL HOF there is something wrong. That skippered 3 or more flags club is a very exclusive one. Every one of those who is eligible is in the HOF and no doubt Hodge will be soon. But just looking through all the names in the HOF Cotchin sits comfortably among many of those based on his playing deeds and longevity alone.

He will be a Hall of Famer in the AFL too, your kidding yourself if you don't think he will.

Even Shane Edwards & Bachar Houli are good chances to get in.
You could only argue Dustin Martin & Riewoldt have had better careers than Cotchin at Richmond.
Rance as good as he was & only played 200 games I say "only" that's still impressive but I'm taking Cotchin's career everyday of the week.

Last edited:
Remove the Essendon drug cheats and there is a high likelihood Trent gets votes v Essendon in round 9 (29 disposals, 3 goals, 6 tackles, 6 clearances, 6 I50s).
That's not how a recount works, there is no fourth place. You just remove the 1 vote Jobe got for that game. Nice try, but it is exactly that slap dash 'he would have won anyway' attitude that I'm saying taints the awarding to the runner ups without a recount.

That's not how a recount works, there is no fourth place. You just remove the 1 vote Jobe got for that game. Nice try, but it is exactly that slap dash 'he would have won anyway' attitude that I'm saying taints the awarding to the runner ups without a recount.
Tell me… when an Olympic gold medallist is found to be a drug cheat what happens to the bronze medal?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back