Bon Jovi 2018 AFL Grand Final entertainment ? Black Eyed Peas confirmed.

Remove this Banner Ad

Ugh, can't stand the Black Eyed Peas. Crap, crap, crap! They heralded a temporary death of chart music in 2009. Where is the love? and Let's Get it Started are the only ones I can stand really.

Could see Let's Get it Started pre-game and I Gotta Feeling post-game working well.

I'd be up for 2010s Aussie rock acts like Tame Impala, King Gizzard, Gang of Youths, etc. But no, we get a Jimmy Barnes or Paul Kelly well past their prime and within contrived settings. The superbowl pressure kills a lot of the performances anyway. Every 2 years it goes alright (Ritchie, Killers, Tom Jones, even Bryan Adams, etc.).

Who woulda every thought that three of those were pretty good? (Ritchie, Jones, Adams)

Assuming Killers would be good was a safe bet

You don’t necessarily want acts in their ‘prime’ as that is rarely when they have reached mass public adoption.

The number one factor in a booking like this is a name that majority of people recognise, and songs that people can instantly recognise and sing along with.

Sure personally I think the Peas turned to sh1t when Fergie started, Head Bob, Joints n Jams and Weekend were half decent tracks...pity they won’t get a look in today and didn’t get anywhere near the popular adoption as a ‘my humps’.

But that is the beauty of music, everyone thinks what they like is the good stuff.

AFL needs to book an act with maximum general public acceptance, hence you get a sh1t band like BEP who had massive success just putting out average pop songs.

I gotta feeling, lets get it started, pump it...there is a pregame set and they have plenty of other big songs for a post match concert.

So what, we need to wait 10 years until every mum has heard a particular song in a supermarket before the act behind it is considered for the Grand Final?? I just don't see much benefit in doing this and the AFL looks incredibly out of touch in the process.

The entertainment should be curated for a TV audience. It shouldn't matter if all 100,000 people in the crowd aren't familiar with a particular song - don't broadcast them. Instead, limit camera footage to the "rent-a-crowd" going nuts that surrounds the stage usually and that way the atmosphere can seem incredible for any act. The average spectator rarely gets up and dances at the footy anyway, regardless of whose performing.

An act in their 'prime' whose recently had a big hit is just so much more marketable. Imagine the TV ratings if the AFL had Kendrick Lamar, Arctic Monkeys, Drake, Lorde, Kanye West, Tame Impala, The Weeknd, Gang Of Youths, Beyonce, Flume, Childish Gambino, Peking Duk, Disclosure, Violent Soho etc. playing at halftime instead of the has-beens they're currently booking??

Those acts would generate hype and attract people who are not typically AFL fans to watch the game. Advertising revenue goes up and the AFL enhances their brand by appearing tuned in with 2018 culture. Win-win.

Last edited:

An act in their 'prime' whose recently had a big hit is just so much more marketable. Imagine the TV ratings if the AFL had Kendrick Lamar, Arctic Monkeys, Drake, Lorde, Kanye West, Tame Impala, The Weeknd, Gang Of Youths, Beyonce, Flume, Childish Gambino, Peking Duk, Disclosure, Violent Soho etc. playing at halftime instead of the has-beens they're currently booking??

Those acts would generate hype and attract people who are not typically AFL fans to watch the game. Advertising revenue goes up and the AFL enhances their brand by appearing tuned in with 2018 culture. Win-win.
You are obviously in your 20s...

When the AFL brings a ‘modern’ act to the table they are pop acts - Vance Joy, Ellie Goulding, Ed Sheeran, Temper Trap

They let Birds of Tokyo do one song ‘Lanterns’ and then do the GF after party back in 2013...the after party was like a wake, as majority of people at the ground didn’t know the songs!!

You don’t want critically acclaimed on trend acts, you want popular artists with big hits people of all ages have at least heard of...no matter how ‘daggy’ they might be.

So what, we need to wait 10 years until every mum has heard a particular song in a supermarket before the act behind it is considered for the Grand Final?? I just don't see much benefit in doing this and the AFL looks incredibly out of touch in the process.

The entertainment should be curated for a TV audience. It shouldn't matter if all 100,000 people in the crowd aren't familiar with a particular song - don't broadcast them. Instead, limit camera footage to the "rent-a-crowd" going nuts that surrounds the stage usually and that way the atmosphere can seem incredible for any act. The average spectator rarely gets up and dances at the footy anyway, regardless of whose performing.

I'm someone in my late 20's, a regular AFL attendee and really enjoyed last years Grand Final entertainment.

However your list of artists proves that music is so incredibly subjective and personal. Of your list I think I could recognise the music of maybe half of those and some of the ones that I do (Arctic Monkeys, Kanye West, Beyonce) I can't think of any of their new stuff, it's their songs from 5-10 years ago.

The key to increasing a larger TV audience to the Grand Final definitely isn't by targeting the Triple J radio audience, especially on a Saturday afternoon-- the key is trying to attract casual/non-AFL watching families (mostly from the Northern states) who are more likely to recognise the names of the Black Eyed Peas & Jimmy Barnes.

Just use State Of Origin in Melbourne this year-- Peking Duk performed. Did it gain any new fans or extra tickets sales because of that?

When the AFL brings a ‘modern’ act to the table they are pop acts - Vance Joy, Ellie Goulding, Ed Sheeran, Temper Trap

They let Birds of Tokyo do one song ‘Lanterns’ and then do the GF after party back in 2013...the after party was like a wake, as majority of people at the ground didn’t know the songs!!

You don’t want critically acclaimed on trend acts, you want popular artists with big hits people of all ages have at least heard of...no matter how ‘daggy’ they might be.

You can probably group The Temper Trap & Birds Of Tokyo together and both are a bit vanilla - I'd argue only Gang Of Youths of the acts I have listed would be at risk of delivering a similar lacklustre performance.

Ability to perform at the "afterparty" shouldn't necessarily be a determining factor either. Maybe even get rid of it if it means we can attract better acts because we spared expense on paying for the bonus show.

Hype act performs 3 songs at pregame/halftime, cameras film rent-a-crowd going crazy - bang, you have an exciting product.

I'm someone in my late 20's, a regular AFL attendee and really enjoyed last years Grand Final entertainment.

However your list of artists proves that music is so incredibly subjective and personal. Of your list I think I could recognise the music of maybe half of those and some of the ones that I do (Arctic Monkeys, Kanye West, Beyonce) I can't think of any of their new stuff, it's their songs from 5-10 years ago.

The key to increasing a larger TV audience to the Grand Final definitely isn't by targeting the Triple J radio audience, especially on a Saturday afternoon-- the key is trying to attract casual/non-AFL watching families (mostly from the Northern states) who are more likely to recognise the names of the Black Eyed Peas & Jimmy Barnes.

Just use State Of Origin in Melbourne this year-- Peking Duk performed. Did it gain any new fans or extra tickets sales because of that?

The big acts I have listed can still mix some of their older, "classic" material with their newer hits:

Kendrick - Humble, DNA, King Kunta
Arctic Monkeys - I Bet You Look Good On The Dancefloor, Do I Wanna Know?, R U Mine?/Four Out Of Five
Drake - One Dance, Hotline Bling, Passionfruit
Lorde - Green Light, Royals, Team
Kanye - Gold Digger, Famous, Power
Tame Impala - The Less I Know The Better, Feel Like We Only Go Backwards, Elephant/Let It Happen
The Weeknd - Starboy, Can't Feel My Face, I Feel It Coming
Gang Of Youths - Let Me Down Easy, The Deepest Sighs, The Frankest Shadows, What Can I Do If The Fire Goes Out?/Magnolia
Beyonce - Hold Up, Formation, Crazy In Love
Flume - Never Be Like You, Say It, Holdin On
Childish Gambino - Redbone, This Is America, Sober
Peking Duk - Fake Magic, Stranger, High
Disclosure - Magnets, When A Fire Starts To Burn, Latch
Violent Soho - Viceroy, Like Soda, Covered In Chrome

Each of those acts have a "stadium-friendly" set right there, surely? I'd also argue only Gang of Youths, Peking Duk & Violent Soho wouldn't be known outside of a "Triple J radio audience".

With regards to Peking Duk playing the State of Origin, that's another great booking by the NRL. They are one of the smaller acts I mentioned though and the success of the booking translating to ticket sales/tv viewers probably depends on how well it was marketed or promoted.

If the AFL ran a big marketing campaign around Drake playing and built it up through AFL media articles and TV adverts, then yeah I could see the Grand Final reaching a bigger audience.

170133293-3303f348-9fd9-4ef0-b25a-358cd5a9b801.jpg

I don't understand why its so hard for the AFL to put on decent Grand Final entertainment each year. It's not very often they seem to get it right. NRL have nailed it this year imo.

The big acts I have listed can still mix some of their older, "classic" material with their newer hits:

Kendrick - Humble, DNA, King Kunta
Arctic Monkeys - I Bet You Look Good On The Dancefloor, Do I Wanna Know?, R U Mine?/Four Out Of Five
Drake - One Dance, Hotline Bling, Passionfruit
Lorde - Green Light, Royals, Team
Kanye - Gold Digger, Famous, Power
Tame Impala - The Less I Know The Better, Feel Like We Only Go Backwards, Elephant/Let It Happen
The Weeknd - Starboy, Can't Feel My Face, I Feel It Coming
Gang Of Youths - Let Me Down Easy, The Deepest Sighs, The Frankest Shadows, What Can I Do If The Fire Goes Out?/Magnolia
Beyonce - Hold Up, Formation, Crazy In Love
Flume - Never Be Like You, Say It, Holdin On
Childish Gambino - Redbone, This Is America, Sober
Peking Duk - Fake Magic, Stranger, High
Disclosure - Magnets, When A Fire Starts To Burn, Latch
Violent Soho - Viceroy, Like Soda, Covered In Chrome

Each of those acts have a "stadium-friendly" set right there, surely? I'd also argue only Gang of Youths, Peking Duk & Violent Soho wouldn't be known outside of a "Triple J radio audience".

With regards to Peking Duk playing the State of Origin, that's another great booking by the NRL. They are one of the smaller acts I mentioned though and the success of the booking translating to ticket sales/tv viewers probably depends on how well it was marketed or promoted.

If the AFL ran a big marketing campaign around Drake playing and built it up through AFL media articles and TV adverts, then yeah I could see the Grand Final reaching a bigger audience.

Just because you were able to name a few songs by each of these artists doesn't make their brand name any bigger.

The smaller names on your list wouldn't attract enough of a crowd and the larger names would demand too high a pay cheque to for their performance to be cost effective.

How many more people would genuinely turn in to watch say Beyonce or Kayne West (the biggest names on that list) @ 2:00pm on a Saturday afternoon to do a sub-standard show (due to bad acoustics at the venue and daylight) that wouldn't watch the game otherwise?

It's better to get a more affordable option that will appeal more to a family audience (or more importantly a Corporate audience). It's possible that the corporate boxes may be filled a bit more by people that are non-fans but happy to go to see.... "The Killers" or "Jimmy Barnes" on top of the corporate hospitality. The people in those boxes are typically middle aged business men, not people listening to the bands you mentioned.

Just because YOU like particular music, doesn't mean it's popular in the mainstream. Of those artists how many weeks have they had at No. 1 in the Australian music charts combined?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I have a different view of this. The grand final entertainment should simply add an extra fun element to the day. Personally, I would happily take a band or artist I have never heard of who absolutely nails the performance than a 'name' act who completely slaughters is.
I will guarantee you Gang of Youths, despite not being as recognisable to portions of the crowd, will put on a far better performance than The Black Eyed Peas.
If any older fan of Meat Loaf who had never heard of The Killers could look me in the eye and tell me they liked Loaf's performance more I will call them a liar. People will enjoy the added entertainment element to grand final day if it is good, not just if they recognise it beforehand.

I enjoy an off key Meat Loaf more than some dreary JJJ band, and don't tell me about the two songs that have electric guitar and chords.

If the tunes are low key then it's not a good performance for the pre-game.

Sent from mTalk

Also, nobody in Australia is going to be going or watching just for Barnsey. You can see him at the local entertainment centre ever few years if you like.

It's a choice made to suit the people already there.

Sent from mTalk

Yep I am even older, mid 30s and with kids now.

I recall glory days of early 2000s when off seeing gigs...Kings of Leon supporting Strokes, MUSE touring Uno album, Black Keys at Prince Bandroom even got into some Aussie HipHop with TZU and the Herd out at Ruby’s.

Still like finding new artists like Methyl Ethyl, Baker Boy, Meg Mac, Gang of Youths etc.

But not silly enough to think any of them should be playing stadium gigs at the time...despite me thinking they were great.

I liken it to planning a playlist for a kids birthday, where you are inviting grandparents, your folks, your wife’s mates plus some kids friends...you put on safe popular music that everyone will recognise, can sing along to or just tolerate.

People wanting their fav band just don’t get what they are there for.

Just because YOU like particular music, doesn't mean it's popular in the mainstream. Of those artists how many weeks have they had at No. 1 in the Australian music charts combined?

Well Drake's singles have been at No.1 for 17 of a possible 39 weeks this year, so yeah I'd say he's pretty popular in the mainstream. He's possibly stealing some of the limelight off the others when considering your "Weeks at No. 1" criteria.

Almost every artist I listed has had at least one No. 1 album in Australia over the last 4 years. The only exceptions are Peking Duk (who have never released an album), Disclosure (#2 in 2015) and Childish Gambino. However, Childish Gambino released a No. 1 song this year (This Is America), so I'd say he is quite well known now too.

Yep I am even older, mid 30s and with kids now.

I recall glory days of early 2000s when off seeing gigs...Kings of Leon supporting Strokes, MUSE touring Uno album, Black Keys at Prince Bandroom even got into some Aussie HipHop with TZU and the Herd out at Ruby’s.

Still like finding new artists like Methyl Ethyl, Baker Boy, Meg Mac, Gang of Youths etc.

But not silly enough to think any of them should be playing stadium gigs at the time...despite me thinking they were great.

I liken it to planning a playlist for a kids birthday, where you are inviting grandparents, your folks, your wife’s mates plus some kids friends...you put on safe popular music that everyone will recognise, can sing along to or just tolerate.

People wanting their fav band just don’t get what they are there for.

All of the acts I have suggested are easily tolerated though, hence their commercial success. It's not like I am recommending Parkway Drive play like some other people in this thread.

I wouldn't necessarily call myself a fan of Drake, The Weeknd, Gang Of Youths, Beyonce, Peking Duk or Violent Soho from the acts i listed either. I am not throwing a tantrum because my favourite acts weren't booked. I am simply trying to be somewhat objective by picking out examples of current acts that are popular, critically successful and would be a better fit for the 2018 Grand Final.

Gang of Youths are booked for this year's NRL Grand Final, so you and I can both see first hand how suitable they are for stadium gigs. Personally, I'm confident they'll be a huge success and not seem out of place at all.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back