Brendan Goddard or Andrew Mackie?

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 27, 2004
Dr Geoffrey Edelsten's jacuzzi
AFL Club
Carlton
Goddard was rated the best kid in the 2002 draft and is a long kick of the footy, but I'd take Mackie because he isn't slow and pushes forward from the backline to kick goals. Goddard is a good player, but has lost a lot of mobility after he hit the weights under Thomas and is more a mark and kick player at his playing weight of 96 kgs.

Andrew Mackie pick seven in the 2002 draft 192 cm 82 kg

Brendan Goddard pick 1 in the 2002 draft 191 cm 96 kg

Great recruiting by the Cats to draft Mackie at seven when he was an unknown player who didn't come through the Under 18s. :thumbsu:

Goddard, alround good player with good skills, can play KP, can play running half back, midfield or even forward with his massive kick.

Mackie is a good player, but in my eyes he's just a half backer with good skills, i dont rate attacking half backs because nearly anyone can play the role and it mainly involves in getting cheap kicks.

Goddard quite easily.

Goddard, alround good player with good skills, can play KP, can play running half back, midfield or even forward with his massive kick.

Mackie is a good player, but in my eyes he's just a half backer with good skills, i dont rate attacking half backs because nearly anyone can play the role and it mainly involves in getting cheap kicks.

Goddard quite easily.
Goddard can only play loose man in defence.

Goddard quite easily.

Dont rate Andrew Mcleod eyy??

Goddard can only play loose man in defence.

Goddard usually plays loose man in defence because his freakish kicking is best used setting up plays from half back.

A couple of years ago we lost Penny, Hudghton, Maguire and Koschitzke and he played at full back for a couple of games and did an excellent job. Has also played some great games at half forward and was playing stints in the center at the start of this season before he was injured.

Goddard can play just about any position on the ground, but is best suited to half back with short bursts in the midfield.

It's good to see Mack getting some respect, very stabling influence in the backline, and he has great footskills, hugely important part of our team, If he can tighten up defensively next year, he'll take steps to becoming an All Australian.

• Banned

Goddard quite easily.
Don't rate Dustin Fletcher? ;) :cool:

I think Mackie started his career as a forward before he was moved back this year. Mackie could also play on the wing if the Cats didn't have the strongest midfield and forwardline in the AFL.That kick just missed Mackie when he ran back with the flight after he pushed forward off half back.

Goddard's knee might affect his mobility more than bulking up to 96 kgs when he returns from a knee reco.

Mackie has more pace and provides more run out of the backline.

I like Goddard and was impressed with a game up forward early in the year, but Mackie is a bolter. :thumbsu:

Don't rate Dustin Fletcher? ;) :cool:

I think Mackie started his career as a forward before he was moved back this year. Mackie could also play on the wing if the Cats didn't have the strongest midfield and forwardline in the AFL.That kick just missed Mackie when he ran back with the flight after he pushed forward off half back.

Goddard's knee might affect his mobility more than bulking up to 96 kgs when he returns from a knee reco.

Mackie has more pace and provides more run out of the backline.

I like Goddard and was impressed with a game up forward early in the year, but Mackie is a bolter. :thumbsu:
He defends as well as attacking off half back, just like Scarlett does. Mackie just runs it off half back and and doesn't do too much defending. Mackie was tried out in the midfield and forward line and wasn't good enough to take a position in either position so he was sent to half back and IMO it's the only position he can play well at.

As for McLeod, he can dominate in the middle as well as half back, he was only sent to half back role because that's where they needed him most and where they thought he'd be most damaging where as Mackie was sent to half back because he wasn't very good at any other positions.

He defends as well as attacking off half back, just like Scarlett does. Mackie just runs it off half back and and doesn't do too much defending. Mackie was tried out in the midfield and forward line and wasn't good enough to take a position in either position so he was sent to half back and IMO it's the only position he can play well at.

As for McLeod, he can dominate in the middle as well as half back, he was only sent to half back role because that's where they needed him most and where they thought he'd be most damaging where as Mackie was sent to half back because he wasn't very good at any other positions.
How about you watch Mackie more than just for the Grand Final before passing judgement. He does more defending than Goddard as he often played on the 3rd/4th tall forward.
Eg Against Melb in round 3?? he towelled up brad miller

How about you watch Mackie more than just for the Grand Final before passing judgement. He does more defending than Goddard as he often played on the 3rd/4th tall forward.
Eg Against Melb in round 3?? he towelled up brad miller
Iv'e watched more than just the grand final mate. Brad Miller is hardly a good player, he was lucky to not get delisted IMO, plus your midfield was dominant so the ball wouldn't have gone down there as much as they would have liked. Sure he can play 3rd/4th tall, but Goddard has played KP when needed when Maguire and Hudghton and even Fisher were out and done quite a good job.
Mackie is a good player yes, but i just don't rate him as highly as Goddard.

Iv'e watched more than just the grand final mate. Brad Miller is hardly a good player, he was lucky to not get delisted IMO, plus your midfield was dominant so the ball wouldn't have gone down there as much as they would have liked. Sure he can play 3rd/4th tall, but Goddard has played KP when needed when Maguire and Hudghton and even Fisher were out and done quite a good job.
Mackie is a good player yes, but i just don't rate him as highly as Goddard.

He also towelled up Lance Franklin.

I went to school with Andrew Mackie and I'm a good mate of his older bro. But Andrew was such a commited boy and such a believer, he loved his sport, cricket, footy and I always had belief he would become an AFL player.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Franklin got 19 touches and had 4 shots on goal in a winning side. I guess this is a different meaning to "towelled" than the one we usually see?
4 shots on goal against buddy is good, I must admit though i thought buddy had the better of him that day. Buddy will be the most dominant forward in the league... I wouldve liked to have seen Goddard do as good of a job

Franklin got 19 touches and had 4 shots on goal in a winning side. I guess this is a different meaning to "towelled" than the one we usually see?

Franklin picked up a hell of alot of touches in the back half, and in the middle. He kicked 1 goal, 1 point, from a decent shots, the others were just goal hungry stabs that were never going to come close, however Mackie set up plenty of run off half back and was the only reason we stayed close (well, also Bartel, Wojak and Jnr).

Mackie won the day, I thought he was our best player.

Unfair on Goddard to have this poll when he hasn't been playing.

At the end of the 2006 season, you would have said Goddard by a mile.

At the end of the 2009 season, I suspect Mackie won't rate a mention.
It's a fair comparison because Goddard's best season wasn't superior to Mackie's 2007.

Was Goddard in career best form before he did his knee?

The answer is in the negative.

i really like andrew mackie .. good player, told my mate at start of the year that he was going to have a good season .. my mate didnt believe me and he barracks for the cats to ... so mackie for me

i would say it is quite equal but i would say mackie he has alot of potential and he is very young and at the roght club atm good luck to him

i really like andrew mackie .. good player, told my mate at start of the year that he was going to have a good season .. my mate didnt believe me and he barracks for the cats to ... so mackie for me

I said during a pre-season match against Melbourne to my Geelong mates.

"Mackie is going to be a star"

I was laughed at by all of them, and the 3 guys sitting behind me. Not a star yet, but I feel pretty good about my prediction.

really depends which team you follow, if you support hawthorn or west coast then you would definitely go for goddard simply so that you could put his brother and father on the club payroll:rolleyes:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back