Past Coach Brett Ratten - set to depart NM - Thanks Ratts!

Coaches of the past.

Remove this Banner Ad

He's a great pick up for you, he's a fantastic assistant coach and a decent enough senior coach too. Unfortunately you need to be better than just decent to succeed in the top job and he had bad luck too with injuries.

I think his strength is development, a number of our players really stepped up under his tutelage such as Steele and Sinclair. He'll be good for your young mids.

He's a great pick up for you, he's a fantastic assistant coach and a decent enough senior coach too. Unfortunately you need to be better than just decent to succeed in the top job and he had bad luck too with injuries.

I think his strength is development, a number of our players really stepped up under his tutelage such as Steele and Sinclair. He'll be good for your young mids.
And Hunter Clarke will know someone when he comes over to North next season..;)

We are almost there...

images
No wonder it’s taken so long for us to get our s**t together, bloody hard jigsaw puzzle when all you’ve got is blue sky.

Wouldn't mind seeing a non-Clarkson disciple with similar clout on the books though. Ratten, Viney, Shiels - someone who isn't one of Clarko's old mates, but also "non-NMFC 2020-22" mediocrity but with serious chops could be handy.
Yeah I have to say I’m not as excited about Clarko “getting the band back together” as a lot are. First time around there wasn’t a band to get back together - all those Clarkson disciples that went on to bigger things started as fresh faces with a bit of coaching talent with him. Honestly I’m much more excited about what Patch and Kearney can do working with him than the recycled warm bodies.

That said, I’m sure Ratten will be good value and Viney was an outstanding get.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hey JHF, you must be excited moving to Trent Henchel, Brett Montgomery, Chad Cornes and Tyson goldsack 😂😂😂 under the tutelage of Kern Hinkley. 😂😂😂🤣🤣🤣🤣
Hinkley must be on 2 million if that’s who they can afford under the soft cap

Yeah I have to say I’m not as excited about Clarko “getting the band back together” as a lot are. First time around there wasn’t a band to get back together - all those Clarkson disciples that went on to bigger things started as fresh faces with a bit of coaching talent with him. Honestly I’m much more excited about what Patch and Kearney can do working with him than the recycled warm bodies.

I'm 50/50 on it. Like Shiels I guess.

And like him I can see the advantage of it. Clarko did mention that he wants people around him who can stand up to him when he needs it. Patch and Karnage might struggle with that but if they see the example of Viney and Ratten standing their ground against the "coach of the century" that will be invaluable I reckon, especially in a couple of years when those older guys may have moved on to other things.

I agree with this though where North is currently it's probably not the worst thing to have a team that knows how to build stability.

I'm 50/50 on it. Like Shiels I guess.

And like him I can see the advantage of it. Clarko did mention that he wants people around him who can stand up to him when he needs it. Patch and Karnage might struggle with that but if they see the example of Viney and Ratten standing their ground against the "coach of the century" that will be invaluable I reckon, especially in a couple of years when those older guys may have moved on to other things.
100%. Viney was massive for us because he can reign Clarko in when he needs to be.

Ratts joins North

Sacked St Kilda coach Brett Ratten joins Alastair Clarkson’s North Melbourne coaching staff​

Former St Kilda and Carlton head coach Brett Ratten has joined Alastair Clarkson’s North Melbourne coaching staff after his sacking from the Saints, writes DANIEL CHERNY.

Sacked St Kilda coach Brett Ratten will reunite with Alastair Clarkson after signing to be a part-time assistant coach at North Melbourne.
And Clarkson is leaning on another old ally, with consultancy firm Leading Teams also joining the Kangaroos.

Ratten, who was axed by the Saints last month with two years left to run on his contract, has been lured back to the fold by Clarkson, with whom he worked for six years as an assistant at Hawthorn.

The 51-year-old will have a matchday role as well as spending some time at Arden Street during the week. He will primarily work with the Roos’ midfield group alongside fellow assistant Jordan Russell.

North’s first-to-fourth year players resumed training this week. Ratten is set to begin at the club on Friday.

The former Carlton star was let go by the Saints in the wake of the club’s football department review. Across three and a bit seasons, he had a 50 per cent winning record; having previously been sacked from the Blues, where he coached the side to the finals in three consecutive season.

Ratten was replaced by Ross Lyon, who returned to St Kilda more than a decade after leaving the club for Fremantle.

While Ratten has thus far kept silent on his sacking, Brendon Lade, who had been Ratten’s right-hand man at the Saints before leaving to take on an assistant coaching role at the Western Bulldogs, told RSN radio on Thursday that the fact Ratten had been sacked just three months after signing a two-year contract extension had left a bitter taste.

“I was pretty disappointed how it played out in the end, as a lot of people were,” Lade said.

Leading Teams, meanwhile, have started working with North’s players, coaches and executive. The firm, who have worked with a host of AFL clubs since the 1990s, had partnered with the Hawks during part of Clarkson’s 17 years at the helm.

Having signed with North in August, Clarkson arrived at the club on schedule but remains embroiled in an AFL investigation over allegations of inappropriate conduct towards First Nations players during his time at Hawthorn.

Clarkson, Viney, Ratten, Monkhorst. We're putting the band back together. We're on a mission from God!! :cool:

100%. Viney was massive for us because he can reign Clarko in when he needs to be.
He’s already been a strong voice. Maybe due to circumstances with Clarko but I think it’s a good thing.

I think all the coaches they’ve brought in have that in common. It’s a strong group of voices and experienced people - including Boomer and Lynch.

People worried about Clarko bringing the old gang back, I don’t think we would have had endless options. This is a sound strategy. He brings in people who know how he works and know standards he will set. Changes can be made in years to come. This is a foundation year. They can’t take risks with the coaching group and the messaging they need to send.

I wonder what differences we’ll see early in the season. Will we need to give them the season to start seeing the changes, groundwork we’re hoping to build a more competitive team around?

Amazing you suddenly know all that in hindsight considering you said this only a week ago.

Maybe, just maybe you should stop posting every little tidbit you hear as if it were absolute fact?
Sorry for posting what I was told/know. He wasn’t spoken to AT ALL until last weekend that is fact. Until that time all I’d heard was that due to soft cap he wouldn’t be at North. I don’t know what your problem is - do you just want me to be wrong. Because I can be wrong and it doesn’t really worry me. I have subsequently found out that the conversation turned on the basis Ratten would come on part time - which changed the soft cap issue.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back