Brian Cook- Carlton to win at least one flag next 5 years

Remove this Banner Ad

They have definitely got more of a chance with Brian Cook at the helm. They do have top end talent but I am not sure about their depth.
Quite a few guys like McGovern, martin, Cerra, Williams that are all good players but get the feeling they’re not going to die beside you in the trenches. Prefer a Jack silvagni type who gives his all each week.

They have definitely got more of a chance with Brian Cook at the helm. They do have top end talent but I am not sure about their depth.
Quite a few guys like McGovern, martin, Cerra, Williams that are all good players but get the feeling they’re not going to die beside you in the trenches. Prefer a Jack silvagni type who gives his all each week.
Cerra is an extremely tough mid. One of the best tacklers we have

Cerra is an extremely tough mid. One of the best tacklers we have
Yeah dunno. This might be viewed as sour grapes because he left us but always got the feeling with Cerra that he is cruising around out there a bit. How many chase down tackles per game? How many spoils? How many shepherds? How much gut running in the last quarter? Don’t get me wrong, he’s highly skilled and going to be a good AFL player, but he’s never going to drag your team across the line to win like the really top players do.

Yeah dunno. This might be viewed as sour grapes because he left us but always got the feeling with Cerra that he is cruising around out there a bit. How many chase down tackles per game? How many spoils? How many shepherds? How much gut running in the last quarter? Don’t get me wrong, he’s highly skilled and going to be a good AFL player, but he’s never going to drag your team across the line to win like the really top players do.
He was 2nd for tackles at the club in 2022. Had a few games where he played a very defensive mid role last year like locking down Heeney against Syd. Hopefully will go to another level this season with more centre bounce time where he thrives

Not every player needs to be a match winner.

Not every player needs to be a match winner.
Fair enough but if you’ve draft a first round 22 Year old with 80 afl games in the bank(that you’re paying a lot of cash for) , you’d be hoping he’d finish higher than 10th in the best and fairest, and be your 5th best midfielder.

Fair enough but if you’ve draft a first round 22 Year old with 80 afl games in the bank(that you’re paying a lot of cash for) , you’d be hoping he’d finish higher than 10th in the best and fairest, and be your 5th best midfielder.

Cerra is on less than what you offered him to stay, still young and no where near his prime. Nor does a mid have to win a game off his own boot, to be effective

We didn’t draft Cerra, we traded him in for significantly less $$ than his original club offered.

We didn’t draft Cerra, we traded him in for significantly less $$ than his original club offered.
Trade is what I meant. Nobody knows exactly what Cerra is on (money wise) but a reasonable guess (for a high draft pick 23 year old midfielder) is that he'd be on more than Kennedy, who has barely played 50 afl games in 7 years, and Hewett, who has only played 130 games in 10 seasons. Both those guys are midfielders that are getting paid less and finished higher in your BandF. My point stands, so far Cerra has underperformed at Carlton.

Last edited:
Trade is what I meant. Nobody knows exactly what Cerra is on (money wise) but a reasonable guess (for a high draft pick 23 year old midfielder) is that he'd be on more than Kennedy, who has barely played 50 afl games in 7 years, and Hewett, who has only played 130 games in 10 seasons. Both those guys are midfielders that are getting paid less and finished higher in your BandF. My point stands, so far Cerra has underperformed at Carlton.

And right now Will Brodie and Nat Fyfe are on more coin than Caleb Serong.

In an ideal world the salary cap would reflect the BnF results down to the 45th player but other things are factored in to how much a player is paid, such as potential and projected output, which as you know is extremely high for Cerra.

Glad to have him at Carlton for LESS than market value 😁

And right now Will Brodie and Nat Fyfe are on more coin than Caleb Serong.

In an ideal world the salary cap would reflect the BnF results down to the 45th player but other things are factored in to how much a player is paid, such as potential and projected output, which as you know is extremely high for Cerra.

Glad to have him at Carlton for LESS than market value 😁
Brodie is a great comparison. He cost us nothing (in draft picks) and nothing in salary (Gold coast paid it last year) to bring him in. In fact, his nickname at the club is "steak knives". All that considered, he was our third highest placed midfielder in last year's Best and Fairest. He massively overperformed.
Not sure why you are bringing in Fyfe to this, he's a 2x brownlow medalist at the tail end of his career. Not really apples for apples.

Brodie is a great comparison. He cost us nothing (in draft picks) and nothing in salary (Gold coast paid it last year) to bring him in. In fact, his nickname at the club is "steak knives". All that considered, he was our third highest placed midfielder in last year's Best and Fairest. He massively overperformed.
Not sure why you are bringing in Fyfe to this, he's a 2x brownlow medalist at the tail end of his career. Not really apples for apples.

You made a silly comparison and I replied with an equally silly comparison. That is all.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You made a silly comparison and I replied with an equally silly comparison. That is all.
A silly comparison would be something like comparing Cerra's output to Patrick Dangerfield. (Like you have attempted to do with Cerra and Fyfe).
My only real point is that Cerra (given he is a high round draft pick and has cost a significant amount in salary and draft capitol) has underperformed so far at Carlton. You've set the bar pretty low if you think a 23 year old top ten draft pick is performing well when he's your fifth best midfielder in your Band F.

A silly comparison would be something like comparing Cerra's output to Patrick Dangerfield. (Like you have attempted to do with Cerra and Fyfe).
My only real point is that Cerra (given he is a high round draft pick and has cost a significant amount in salary and draft capitol) has underperformed so far at Carlton.

What a load of tripe

Again, Cerra was offered more by the Dockers, than what he is on now

What a load of tripe

Again, Cerra was offered more by the Dockers, than what he is on now
What's your point? Even if you're paying something like $600k a year for him. (which would have to be the low end given we offered him $750) that's still a fairly significant salary, not to mention the draft capital you have given up (pick 6 and change). My point is that (given his cost - in salary and draft capital) he has underperformed - particularly for a 23 year old first round draft pick with nearly 100 games to his name.

Last edited:
My only real point is that Cerra (given he is a high round draft pick and has cost a significant amount in salary and draft capitol) has underperformed so far at Carlton. You've set the bar pretty low if you think a 23 year old top ten draft pick is performing well when he's your fifth best midfielder in your Band F.

“Look out for Adam Cerra to come roaring into this team. Last game was 30 possessions and quite possibly the goal of the year. Is better than Brayshaw in my opinion.”

You had the above to say about Cerra in 2021.

Your club offered Cerra 150k more per year in 2021.

I’m completely comfortable with what Cerra is being paid :)

“Look out for Adam Cerra to come roaring into this team. Last game was 30 possessions and quite possibly the goal of the year. Is better than Brayshaw in my opinion.”

You had the above to say about Cerra in 2021.

Your club offered Cerra 150k more per year in 2021.

I’m completely comfortable with what Cerra is being paid :)
If I said that about Cerra in 2021, then I have clearly been proven to be wrong. Last year one guy was voted the most valuable player in the league by his peers - the other finished 10th in a best and fairest. I know which one I'd rather keep.

If I said that about Cerra in 2021, then I have clearly been proven to be wrong. Last year one guy was voted the most valuable player in the league by his peers - the other finished 10th in a best and fairest. I know which one I'd rather keep.
His last game last season and his game the other day were excellent, you may have gone a bit early mate and sour grapes taste awful.

His last game last season and his game the other day were excellent, you may have gone a bit early mate and sour grapes taste awful.
You're right. Time will tell, and it's too early to judge a player when they are only 23. I wish the guy well and have no sour grapes at all - just pointing out that he probably didn't live up to expectations last year - which you guys seem to get mightily testy about.

You're right. Time will tell, and it's too early to judge a player when they are only 23. I wish the guy well and have no sour grapes at all - just pointing out that he probably didn't live up to expectations last year - which you guys seem to get mightily testy about.
Nah mate all good but at only 23 i think he has it in him to be worth every cent, we'll be back for Brayshaw and Serong at a later date lol.

What's your point? Even if you're paying something like $600k a year for him. (which would have to be the low end given we offered him $750) that's still a fairly significant salary, not to mention the draft capital you have given up (pick 6 and change). My point is that (given his cost - in salary and draft capital) he has underperformed - particularly for a 23 year old first round draft pick with nearly 100 games to his name.

You paid pick 5 for him and offered him more money than what we are paying him

Seriously, let it go

You would’ve liked to keep both. Unfortunately Cerra is in it for success and not cash. Oh well :)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back