Brighton Homes Arena (Springfield) discussions

Remove this Banner Ad

That’s better than I had heard.. got told that the Lions would train there but play at the Gabba which makes no sense. Thanks!

We will keep playing at the Gabba. Why doesn’t that make sense?

We will keep playing at the Gabba. Why doesn’t that make sense?
So we are going to train at Springfield and play at the Gabba? Which means we lose a decent part of the ‘home ground advantage’ that comes with training on your home ground.

So we are going to train at Springfield and play at the Gabba? Which means we lose a decent part of the ‘home ground advantage’ that comes with training on your home ground.

You know we rarely train on the Gabba currently right? Coorparoo (Giffin Park) and to a lesser extent Yeronga (Leyshon Park) are our major training grounds.

Not really different to power clubs like Collingwood, Essendon, Carlton or Richmond. They do very little of their training at the MCG or Marvel. Generally one run-through a week at the actual stadium.

You know we rarely train on the Gabba currently right? Coorparoo and then Yeronga are our major training grounds.

Not really different to power clubs like Collingwood, Essendon or Richmond. They do very little of their training at the MCG. Generally one run-through a week at the actual stadium.
Oh right. My apologies then, I thought we trained on the Gabba 2-3 times a week leading into home games.

Oh right. My apologies then, I thought we trained on the Gabba 2-3 times a week leading into home games.

The main training oval at our new facilities is a replica in size/shape of the Gabba oval so that helps.

You know we rarely train on the Gabba currently right? Coorparoo (Giffin Park) and to a lesser extent Yeronga (Leyshon Park) are our major training grounds.
Should swap that around. Main training oval is Leyshon Park. Fagan really dislikes training at Coorparoo. Or so I’m told.

Caro Wilson on the Age Footy podcast today mentioned that we’re now five or Six million dollars short on the funding for Springfield.

Didn’t explain how or why.

But mentioned it in discussion about QLD hosting the AFL GF. So the State government chips in the extra millions, as part of the package to buy the GF from the AFL.

Caro Wilson on the Age Footy podcast today mentioned that we’re now five or Six million dollars short on the funding for Springfield.

But mentioned it in discussion about QLD hosting the AFL GF. So the State government chips in the extra millions, as part of the package to buy the GF from the AFL.
Oh for crying out loud just build the bloody thing!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Now that Anna is in a full on love affair with AFL no excuses not to throw some more money our way

Quote in her article today...

""Particularly when that stadium is crying out for a redevelopment and the Lions sit $5 million-$6 million short on funds for their new training facility."

Sounds like nothing is going to change in the short-term.

I'm looking forward to catching the train to my first game there. Will be a great ride back when we win!
Fair commute out to Springfield, wonder how many times a week the team will train out there. It is also few degrees hotter out there in summer. No doubt it is going to be their training facility but i suspect Yeronga will still be part of the weekly training schedule.

Fair commute out to Springfield, wonder how many times a week the team will train out there. It is also few degrees hotter out there in summer. No doubt it is going to be their training facility but i suspect Yeronga will still be part of the weekly training schedule.
I can't see any more official training sessions being at Yeronga once Springfield is up and running, which is unfortunate, no chance of me being able to walk to Springfield in 5 minutes.

Yeah, Yeronga has a nice breeze off the river in the afternoon.

I imagine it’s hotter out on the field still.

Quote in her article today...

""Particularly when that stadium is crying out for a redevelopment and the Lions sit $5 million-$6 million short on funds for their new training facility."

Sounds like nothing is going to change in the short-term.
Any chance the AFL will pick up the shortfall following Queensland saving their arse for the 2020 season?

Thought I would add these here.

1. Enjoy.

2. Qld. has had an extraordinary (for a RL-dominated state) boom in female AF. Amazingly, it had greater female nos. than Vic. until 2017!

As per Springfield, having female teams unquestionably attracts additional Council/govt. & private etc funding also for local GR AF facilities

Here the creation of the Gympie Cats women's team would have greatly assisted in getting $150k funding for new, game-quality lights at their oval.
The Gympie women's team, at their inaugural game, "....supporters adorned the Cat's oval with banners of support, while the healthy local crowd was at times deafening.....".

Last edited:
Might have dodged a bullet not going with Logan CC: https://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/na...r-and-logan-city-council-20200827-p55q1n.html

A court battle worth more than $150,000 is brewing between Brisbane Roar soccer club and Logan City Council over allegations of a year's worth of unpaid bills.

Logan City Council is suing Brisbane Roar FC over allegations of $153,714.96 in unpaid utility bills between October 1, 2018 and December 31, 2019.

"Brisbane Roar FC strongly disputes charges brought against the Club by Logan City Council, which primarily relate to water usage at the Logan Metro Sports Park complex at Heritage Park," the club said in a statement on Wednesday, after questions from Brisbane Times.

"A deal that was agreed upon in 2015 by Brisbane Roar and Logan City Council was that sponsorship benefits provided by the Club to the council were to off-set the provision of facilities.

"Following the appointment of a new council in 2019, it appears this deal has been lost on its new councillors.

Hard to know where the fault lies from the outside, but it doesn't bode well. Some good lessons to be learned about about how to deal with changing councils.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back