Brighton Homes Arena (Springfield) discussions

Remove this Banner Ad

The way I see it is that they may have a longer drive to get there but once there they can stay and do all that is required.
Without having to move mid way through the day to another venue to do their Gym work or recovery in the pool etc.
Sounds like a good option to me.

I suppose the other question is not so much the comparative commute from 'current location' to Coopooroo/Yeronga to Springfield but what is the commute from 'current location' to Springfield like compared to the commutes that the players in other teams have to do each day. If the 40 minutes sucks compared to the 15 mins but moving clubs will get me a 90 minute commute if I am lucky then it is a minor subjective bad vs a major objective good.

Also once you are actually there how much angst is saved by using consolidated facilities designed for you compared to multiple locations and not enough equipment?

I suppose the other question is not so much the comparative commute from 'current location' to Coopooroo/Yeronga to Springfield but what is the commute from 'current location' to Springfield like compared to the commutes that the players in other teams have to do each day. If the 40 minutes sucks compared to the 15 mins but moving clubs will get me a 90 minute commute if I am lucky then it is a minor subjective bad vs a major objective good.

Also once you are actually there how much angst is saved by using consolidated facilities designed for you compared to multiple locations and not enough equipment?
1. Most things are relative.
2. People adapt.

Just on 1, if you're used to a 5min walk to work, suddenly a 5min drive feels like a hassle as you have to get into a car and find a parking spot. However, if you're used to a 90min commute, suddenly 60min feels a lot shorter.

On 2, most of us will groan about change, but once we accept it is and what it will be going forward, we get used to it and move on.

So let your employer give you a notice period to 1. sell your home to avoid a commute they are imposing on you or 2. accept the commute they are imposing on you. How would you feel about that? Not to mention they are moving from lovely suburbs to the ass end of the city.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
It's not just the players but some posters like to go straight to them to pile on the "toughen up Princess" badge. There is no doubt the facility is first class. There is also no doubt its located well outside the Brisbane CBD. Given time, all players, coach's & admin people who are affiliated with The Brisbane Lions (including the women's team & people connected to the women's team) will get used to the drive and wont remember the much shorter trek as it was before Springfield became available.

So you want names? LOL.
Yes Please Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

We don’t need names you’ve already confirmed THEY ALL are struggling with it, every coach and player.. lock it in!
Lol, when arguments are framed as fact (everyone hates it), fact based evidence should be provided to support the argument.

I know and have spoken with people or contacts with people across the various parts of the club and they love it. I dont claim to know what every individual thinks though.

I suspect different people on here are creating a story to suit their personal agenda that they personally dont like leaving their own little bubble. I suspect these same people are resistant to change in general.

Yes there will be players that arent excited about changing their routine but the club is bigger than the individual. No one can deny we are in a better position facilities wise than ever before and the club has clearly articulated the reasons why there werent any better options, google is your friend.

I call bullshit on commute times people put up too by the way. I actually live around the corner from BHA, am currently sitting in the airport after a 45 minute trip in peak hour… My office is in murarrie, it is also regularly a 45 min trip despite being 50km unless some moron forgets how to drive. However, that scenario is not just applicable to springfield.

Just to be clear I am not having a crack at you lioninthesand, I noted the sarcasm in your comment.

I live in Moorooka, I can get to the Springfield facility in about 20-25 minutes.

The players commute times will be fine as they gradually start migrating to more central or south/western suburbs.

Some might even set up shop in Brookwater, live on the Golf course and drive a golf cart to training! Hardly a massive issue.

Will just take a while for the traditional home of Lions players to move away from the Camp Hill, Coorparoo, Bulimba, Morningside, Hawthorn, Norman Park areas and slowly migrate to places like Yeronga, Tarragindi, Moorooka, Salisbury, Sherwood, Chelmer, Corinda, Indooroopilly, West Lake, Jindalee zone which would all be within an easy 20 minute drive to Lions HQ and offer a perfectly good cross section of ultra premium suburbs and more affordable ones for the players not earning Neale $$.

It was always a strange move to go out there, but now its there - should be a relatively simple adjustment.

I know a heap of the AFLW team live around the Corinda/Sherwood area - didn't take them long to work it out.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We don’t need names you’ve already confirmed THEY ALL are struggling with it, every coach and player.. lock it in!
Thats sort of suprising particulalry when many of them as juniors travelled hours to get to training as juniors especially the ones from country areas. Didnt Jimmy T make round trips of like 3 hours each way in regional WA to play and train for East Fremantle not to mention many other boys that came from the Sunshine Coast down to BRisbane etc. Sure its an adjustment, but no doubt they'll be fine once they get a bit used to it and get in habits of listening to podcasts or talking to family and friends or whatever they like on there drives to pass the time effectively.

The club playing mantra is anyone, anytime (or whatever it is they respond with when asked) where they say travelling to games just isn't an issue.

Can't imagine players in that mindset whinging/whining /sooking about a commute.

That may be less than the total travel time when moving between venues as previous

If you live in Yeronga as an example, you are 20-25 minutes from both the airport and springfield and 10 minutes from the Gabba.

not like they're are being asked to drive to Waverley or Tullamarine as examples!

If you live in Yeronga as an example, you are 20-25 minutes from both the airport and springfield and 10 minutes from the Gabba.

not like they're are being asked to drive to Waverley or Tullamarine as examples!
I think a 20 hour drive would be expecting a little too much of anyone.

this old chestnut. pops up every few months. In reality though its certain posters annoyed their own commute to watch the club players train or be involved in the club in any capacity has increased. Interesting that supporters who are out of state or who are further out from Brisbane in general don't really care.

Reportedly the facilities are world class and the club got it on a discount. The cost savings over the forward estimates should be enough to satisfy most people involved in the club. No brainer and I'm glad the club has moved away from the exorbitant fee's they were paying before. Puts the Lions right back into a position of financial strength and that will flow through to on field performance for years to come.

this old chestnut. pops up every few months. In reality though its certain posters annoyed their own commute to watch the club players train or be involved in the club in any capacity has increased. Interesting that supporters who are out of state or who are further out from Brisbane in general don't really care.

Reportedly the facilities are world class and the club got it on a discount. The cost savings over the forward estimates should be enough to satisfy most people involved in the club. No brainer and I'm glad the club has moved away from the exorbitant fee's they were paying before. Puts the Lions right back into a position of financial strength and that will flow through to on field performance for years to come.

Nailed it in one with the bolded bit !!!

I live in Moorooka, I can get to the Springfield facility in about 20-25 minutes.

The players commute times will be fine as they gradually start migrating to more central or south/western suburbs.

Some might even set up shop in Brookwater, live on the Golf course and drive a golf cart to training! Hardly a massive issue.

Will just take a while for the traditional home of Lions players to move away from the Camp Hill, Coorparoo, Bulimba, Morningside, Hawthorn, Norman Park areas and slowly migrate to places like Yeronga, Tarragindi, Moorooka, Salisbury, Sherwood, Chelmer, Corinda, Indooroopilly, West Lake, Jindalee zone which would all be within an easy 20 minute drive to Lions HQ and offer a perfectly good cross section of ultra premium suburbs and more affordable ones for the players not earning Neale $$.

It was always a strange move to go out there, but now its there - should be a relatively simple adjustment.

I know a heap of the AFLW team live around the Corinda/Sherwood area - didn't take them long to work it out.

IIRC, as did the Scott brothers.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back