Brodie Grundy tackle on Ben Brown

How many weeks?

Votes: 39 28.5%

Votes: 30 21.9%

Votes: 59 43.1%

Votes: 9 6.6%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Also Ziebells suplex tackle was worse but no injury, no suspension. Hell the MRP didnt even look at it!

This is where it is most confusing - there was a free kick paid so the umpire thought it was a dangerous tackle and yet the MRP didn't bother to assess it? I don't want Ziebell rubbed out for a tackle like that but there's probably no more than 3 or 4 'dangerous tackle' free kicks paid so you'd think it would almost be mandatory that those tackles are at least assessed?

Only in the AFL can you get a free kick and a suspension for the same act. I'm tired of the perennial debate 'are players overpaid?' The question should be 'is McLaughlan overpaid?' Fix this issue, or piss off. Go and find some other competition to * up. Unless they change the rule, players will have to stop bringing their opponent to ground, because it's Russian roulette. But how are you supposed to keep your opponent upright if you're tackling at pace? It's an impossibility. I'll say it again. This is a bureaucratic * up only possible by the AFL, and somebody should be held responsible for it.

What happens if both arms are pinned, and the player gets a concussion because he knocks his head on the knee of a third party during the tackle? Is the tackler liable for that? If we start penalising for accidents, well, with the finals just around the corner, all players should be very afraid. Sam Jacobs was on radio tonight, saying he has a firm grasp on the situation, and he doesn't understand the furore. My message to Sam is this: if you've got the balls to bring your opponent to ground in a tackle, I say go for it. Roll the dice. But don't come crying when you get suspended.

Ziebel's wasn't looked at? This gets better and better. So they're suspending players according to the injury sustained. There are some patently stupid people in charge of this competition. Had a gut full. Now Grundy can join Varcoe, Wells, Greenwood & Pendles on the sidelines. Who plays in the midfield now? I see the future. It's three losses in a row. The season can end the way it started. My guess is that there won't be a Magpies 2017 highlights DVD. Maybe a lowlights dvd. Call it 'A Magpie Nightmare' and release it on Halloween. Half price if you mention Rose O'Dea.

Only in the AFL can you get a free kick and a suspension for the same act. I'm tired of the perennial debate 'are players overpaid?' The question should be 'is McLaughlan overpaid?' Fix this issue, or piss off. Go and find some other competition to **** up. Unless they change the rule, players will have to stop bringing their opponent to ground, because it's Russian roulette. But how are you supposed to keep your opponent upright if you're tackling at pace? It's an impossibility. I'll say it again. This is a bureaucratic **** up only possible by the AFL, and somebody should be held responsible for it.

What happens if both arms are pinned, and the player gets a concussion because he knocks his head on the knee of a third party during the tackle? Is the tackler liable for that? If we start penalising for accidents, well, with the finals just around the corner, all players should be very afraid. Sam Jacobs was on radio tonight, saying he has a firm grasp on the situation, and he doesn't understand the furore. My message to Sam is this: if you've got the balls to bring your opponent to ground in a tackle, I say go for it. Roll the dice. But don't come crying when you get suspended.
Actually, all the focus on it means I am starting to get it too. If you pin both arms and sling, drive, forcefully propel the player into the ground and concussion results, you will be suspended.

Ziebel's wasn't looked at? This gets better and better. So they're suspending players according to the injury sustained. There are some patently stupid people in charge of this competition. Had a gut full. Now Grundy can join Varcoe, Wells, Greenwood & Pendles on the sidelines. Who plays in the midfield now? I see the future. It's three losses in a row. The season can end the way it started. My guess is that there won't be a Magpies 2017 highlights DVD. Maybe a lowlights dvd. Call it 'A Magpie Nightmare' and release it on Halloween. Half price if you mention Rose O'Dea.
Yeah. Imagine a world where punishments were based on the consequences of your actions. Frightening stuff.

Weak trolling attempt. Piss off.
Where's my apology? Rather than trolling, I was clearly on the money, although 3 weeks would've been better. It was more of a slam tackle than a sling. Check the view from behind Grundy.

It cracks me up how people on here seem to think that defending their players on this forum will somehow reduce their suspension

Last edited:
Yeah. Imagine a world where punishments were based on the consequences of your actions. Frightening stuff.

You can kill someone in a car accident but if you weren't at fault, you won't get charged. Under the MRP though you would get life in prison even though they ran the red light...

You can kill someone in a car accident but if you weren't at fault, you won't get charged. Under the MRP though you would get life in prison even though they ran the red light...
Except Grundy's tackle put him at fault.
You aren't allowed to pin someones arms and take them to ground. How many times do you need to hear this before it sinks in?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Except Grundy's tackle put him at fault.
You aren't allowed to pin someones arms and take them to ground. How many times do you need to hear this before it sinks in?
So that is why Grundy was awarded a free kick for his tackle:rolleyes:o_O

Look I don't want to see players getting concussed. If Dangerfield got suspended for his tackle then Grundy should too. The only thing is that there was no intent in either incident.
You can purposely punch a bloke and get a lesser penalty?!

Only because Brown was concussed. Otherwise the free kick stands.
Where in the rulebook does it state that?

Yes you are. It's just if they get concussed you are stuffed.
How often do you watch footy?
Concussion makes it an automatic suspension. It has for a couple of years now. No concussion it is still considered a dangerous tackle and a free kick should be awarded - as it was for Ziebel's tackle on Treloar.

Concussion makes it an automatic suspension. It has for a couple of years now. No concussion it is still considered a dangerous tackle and a free kick should be awarded - as it was for Ziebel's tackle on Treloar.

Can you stop making things up like it has for a couple of years now?
No it hasn't as witnessed by Burgoyne and Mumford.

...and yet Ziebel didn't get sanctioned. Go figure.o_O:rolleyes:
Brown - Prior opportunity, incorrect disposal...etc - free kick, as per the rules.

Next you will have players playing possum they are injured in the tackle (..cmon - last minute of a final, why wouldn't you)

They changed the push in the back rule because players were throwing themselves forward when tackled from behind. Gary Lyon was talking about that on Footy Classified. This is the result. Brown was taught to tackle this way too BTW.

I don't know what the answer is, Grundy should cop a whack for the concussion - like Dangerfield.
Ziebel should have been sanctioned too, however the Ziebel tackle was never going to be holding the ball/incorrect disposal in any case.

Oh - BTW it hasn't been "for a couple of years now". Maybe you need a concussion test (or at least a lie detector test)

Last edited:
...and yet Ziebel didn't get sanctioned. Go figure.o_O:rolleyes:
Brown - Prior opportunity, incorrect disposal...etc - free kick, as per the rules.

Next you will have players playing possum they are injured in the tackle (..cmon - last minute of a final, why wouldn't you)

They changed the push in the back rule because players were throwing themselves forward when tackled from behind. Gary Lyon was talking about that on Footy Classified. This is the result. Brown was taught to tackle this way too BTW.

I don't know what the answer is, Grundy should cop a whack for the concussion - like Dangerfield.
Ziebel should have been sanctioned too, however the Ziebel tackle was never going to be holding the ball/incorrect disposal in any case.

Oh - BTW it hasn't been "for a couple of years now". Maybe you need a concussion test (or at least a lie detector test)
Can you stop making things up like it has for a couple of years now?
No it hasn't as witnessed by Burgoyne and Mumford.
Yes. Its been a couple of years now.
Gibbs copped two weeks in 2015 for the same thing after players were warned against this type of tackle.

The problem I have with this whole fiasco is not necessarily about the application of the rules although an outsider would be scratching their head in disbelief at the way it has played out. No, my problem has more to do with the way they have been framed. It is absolutely illogical to frame the rules such that an action is both desirable and at the same time punishable. The morons at the AFL must surely see that if they want to grow this game they simply can't have such nonsensical rules. The league to me just looks like a laughing stock when rubbish like this goes down. How must foreigners be laughing at us when legends of our game have been lining up to say that Grundy's tackle was text book perfect and yet he has been severely punished for something which in the circumstances was clearly accidental. I'm struggling to find a single person anywhere who is willing to say that there was any malice in the tackle at all. It blows my mind. Frankly, I'd be more than happy for Brody to bring an action for restraint of trade due to the demonstrable lack of natural justice.

Back