News Brownlow Betting Scandal allegations - 6th Dec Police Widen Investigations

Remove this Banner Ad

We’ve known all about corrupt umps since the 2016 GF.
It all started in 2005. So many clubs have broken their droughts since then including my own and the only team who failed was St Kilda who had a few chances to do so. The league is very much in the business of manufacturing results but you can’t stop St Kilda from being St Kilda.

I feel like all the clubs with droughts since the 90’s will break them over the following 15 years.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Being arrested isn’t anything intimidating. I’m on parole right now but I still don’t believe I did anything wrong because I didn’t harm someone or cause anyone financial loss. It’s definitely my fault though.

Well every time I have been in handcuffs I've been screwed over by the power. Hopefully you're doing ok.

Star Lizard uses advanced analytics to monitor stuff like this.

Maybe the betting companies are clients.

Maybe, though this is pretty basic stuff.

Apparently it was single game betting so it would've stuck out like dog's balls. Those markets are very minor in the overall scheme of Brownlow betting so a big result for a punter would stick right out.

Report irregularity to licensing body and AFL (which the bookies are required to do under their AFL contracts).

Investigation sees the same results across a few books. Probably the same punters. Jump on social media / google and lo and behold, who are they friends with?

It would've taken an hour to investigate.

If the punters are betting legally (ie with legit Australian books) then this stuff will always get uncovered.

Maybe, though this is pretty basic stuff.

Apparently it was single game betting so it would've stuck out like dog's balls. Those markets are very minor in the overall scheme of Brownlow betting so a big result for a punter would stick right out.

Report irregularity to licensing body and AFL (which the bookies are required to do under their AFL contracts).

Investigation sees the same results across a few books. Probably the same punters. Jump on social media / google and lo and behold, who are they friends with?

It would've taken an hour to investigate.

If the punters are betting legally (ie with legit Australian books) then this stuff will always get uncovered.

My understanding is that process you describe is all but automated now no? In terms of the suspicious results, like the computer would have flagged it asap.

Four people, including an AFL umpire, have been arrested over suspicious betting activity around the AFL's 2022 Brownlow Medal votes.

It all started in 2005. So many clubs have broken their droughts since then including my own and the only team who failed was St Kilda who had a few chances to do so. The league is very much in the business of manufacturing results but you can’t stop St Kilda from being St Kilda.

I feel like all the clubs with droughts since the 90’s will break them over the following 15 years.
Hope so!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back