Bruce Lehrmann revealed as man charged with two counts of rape in Toowoomba

Remove this Banner Ad

Have we seen the details of Rachelle Millers payout yet?

For the record I'm all for the Higgins details being made public, as well as the Gaetjens enquiry, all of Scott Morrison's various messaging and correspondence, same for Dutton, Cash and Reynolds, etc.

Here are some published details - they are not hard to find. Interesting Albo is not mentioned once;

would love to know who the person in cash' office was (or was it cash herself) who passed on info about a AWU HQ police raid

[edit] and there are any number of lnp cabinet leaks during the abbot/turnball/preacher man years that mysteriously ended up as front page fodder in the australian that would be worth closer examination

Last edited:
And as far as the legal costs of Ten and Wilkinson, you clearly still can't see the similarity with the BRS case.

In the BRS defamation case and at the conclusion of the costs allocation hearing NINE sought to show ACE and Seven controlled the litigation and so should be liable for their legal costs.

It sought, and was granted access to, documents from Seven West Media commercial director Bruce McWilliam, Stokes, ACE and Roberts-Smith’s legal team showing their communications about the case. Stokes then capitulated for what some say was a fear of his full role in urging BRS to take defamation action being revealed.

Like I said lets wait and see how this plays out.

Well, well, well, what do you know...

Bit rude of them to not wait until Justice Lee had handed done his decision on costs though. Perhaps they had an inkling of things going on in the background and wanted to get in quick.

“With freelance photographers following him, Mr Lehrmann drove up Sydney’s M1 motorway and abandoned the car in a No Stopping zone outside the Gosford police station.

Sources have told The Australian the 28-year-old sought the protection of officers at the station, who then drove him to an undisclosed location due to the fears for his safety.”

“A report was made at Gosford police station yesterday (Monday 15 April 2024); however, as the matter is not subject of a criminal investigation, no further information is available,” the spokesperson said.”

https://apple.news/AxoVoi6iWSGmgJ7vYtua1_Q

I’m just wondering if after being found to have raped Brittany Higgins in Federal Court, Bruce swiftly received threats from the people he might owe money to, people who don’t really deal with the bankruptcy act and such laws, and went right to the police station after court to get help and protection.

IMO

I’m just wondering if after being found to have raped Brittany Higgins in Federal Court, Bruce swiftly received threats from the people he might owe money to, people who don’t really deal with the bankruptcy act and such laws, and went right to the police station after court to get help and protection.

IMO

Nope.
Here's what really happened (reportedly).

'One freelance photographer told Daily Mail Australia that Lehrmann knew he was being followed and drove around Lane Cove and the M1 motorway trying unsuccessfully to lose the cameras.

Following a pursuit around Sydney's lower north shore, the pair wound up travelling along North Connex before a woman in a white utility appeared to try to block the photographer's view.

According to the freelancer, the aim was to block so his view so he couldn't see Lehrmann exit the highway.

But that didn't work either.

Eventually, he was tailed all the way to Avoca, which is about 100km north of Sydney.

'He came up to north Avoca, past a cop shop, then called out to some cops who were walking by, and drove another lap around,' the photographer said.

'He went up the road and around a cul-de-sac, then drove past the cop shop again and then carried on like that.

Lehrmann then pulled up to a police officer for help, before the photographer shouted out his car window: 'We're news and that's Bruce Lehrmann.'

He said: 'The cop looked at me and looked at him, and he didn't care.'

Lehrmann then abandoned the car in a No Stopping zone outside Gosford Police Station and bolted inside, before officers drove him to an undisclosed location for his own safety.

Police called the photographer later to verify he was news media, rather than a dangerous stalker.

When asked how Lehrmann was doing, the officer said: 'Yeah, he's alright.'

Police are not investigating the matter.'

Are they required?

It was formally requested in a Senate Estimates hearing. So yes.

If Labor has nothing to hide, then why provide a redacted copy? It just doesn't pass the sniff test.

We are entitled to know how the figure of 2.4 million taxpayer dollars was justified.

Nope.
Here's what really happened (reportedly).

'One freelance photographer told Daily Mail Australia that Lehrmann knew he was being followed and drove around Lane Cove and the M1 motorway trying unsuccessfully to lose the cameras.

Following a pursuit around Sydney's lower north shore, the pair wound up travelling along North Connex before a woman in a white utility appeared to try to block the photographer's view.

According to the freelancer, the aim was to block so his view so he couldn't see Lehrmann exit the highway.

But that didn't work either.

Eventually, he was tailed all the way to Avoca, which is about 100km north of Sydney.

'He came up to north Avoca, past a cop shop, then called out to some cops who were walking by, and drove another lap around,' the photographer said.

'He went up the road and around a cul-de-sac, then drove past the cop shop again and then carried on like that.

Lehrmann then pulled up to a police officer for help, before the photographer shouted out his car window: 'We're news and that's Bruce Lehrmann.'

He said: 'The cop looked at me and looked at him, and he didn't care.'

Lehrmann then abandoned the car in a No Stopping zone outside Gosford Police Station and bolted inside, before officers drove him to an undisclosed location for his own safety.

Police called the photographer later to verify he was news media, rather than a dangerous stalker.

When asked how Lehrmann was doing, the officer said: 'Yeah, he's alright.'

Police are not investigating the matter.'
Oh, ok, so it seems like there was a snapper (and also potentially a driver too) working for News Corps (who’s staff refer to their company simply as ‘News’) and they were assigned by their superior(s) or Editor to follow Lehrmann for the purposes of reporting news, and announced themselves correctly to police on the scene:

Lehrmann then pulled up to a police officer for help, before the photographer shouted out his car window: 'We're news and that's Bruce Lehrmann.'”

Perhaps Bruce has then made a complaint to police regarding perhaps an accusation of stalk/intimidate, which won’t pass muster if it’s a media representative with a Press Pass.

Thanks for the update, BFew. I suppose that most of us here on this forum have jobs or occupations and those people allegedly following Bruce that day were simply doing their job, which they are entitled to do.

Maybe Sydney is not the right place for Bruce. IMO

Perhaps Bruce has made a complaint to the nature of stalk/intimidate, which won’t pass muster if it’s a media representative with a Press Pass.
My! How the worm turns.

Not much love left between Lehrmann and the media.

if Bruce has threatened the media or their suppliers (freelance photographers) with legal action, thinking that this might get him more favourable reporting moving forwards, he is probably deluding himself.

Even an editorial in the Australian today says to respect Justice Lees decision in the defamation case, sending what appears to be a clear signal to have the lying rapist categorised as just that.

'Editorial: Few escape the lion’s den of Higgins affair unscathed

12:00AM APRIL 16, 2024
Court is where the matter always should have been decided. The way in which it has transpired has produced an outcome that must be respected but one that is necessarily diminished by circumstance.'

It was formally requested in a Senate Estimates hearing. So yes.

If Labor has nothing to hide, then why provide a redacted copy? It just doesn't pass the sniff test.

We are entitled to know how the figure of 2.4 million taxpayer dollars was justified.
What on earth does it have to do with Labor?

A liberal Party staffer was raped by another Liberal Party staffer in a Liberal Ministers office who was part of a Liberal government that had a huge sexual assault problem.

You can’t whitewash this so stop trying.

<trigger warning, this article shows P Dutton’s face > yech

“Opposition Leader Peter Dutton has suggested that Brittany Higgins and her partner David Sharaz should apologise to Liberal senator Linda Reynolds after declaring his Coalition colleague had been vindicated in the Bruce Lehrmann defamation decision.”

I disagree. I think PD should just not be speaking on this matter at all.

Not an issue.

Back in February Justice Lee ruled that it was reasonable for Lisa Wilkinson to retain separate lawyers to represent her in the Lehrmann defamation trial stating:

“This is not a case where Ms Wilkinson acted unthinkingly in retaining separate representation,”

“In any event, it seems to me plain beyond peradventure that in all circumstances it was reasonable for Ms Wilkinson to retain separate lawyers.”
Good call. Silly me for missing this.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

<trigger warning, this article shows P Dutton’s face > yech

“Opposition Leader Peter Dutton has suggested that Brittany Higgins and her partner David Sharaz should apologise to Liberal senator Linda Reynolds after declaring his Coalition colleague had been vindicated in the Bruce Lehrmann defamation decision.”

I disagree. I think PD should just not be speaking on this matter at all.
Vindicated by having it found in a Court of law that she hired a rapist?

For a bloke who was so control freaky he secretly had himself sworn into five ministries it's a touch naive to think that Morrison wasn't all over this too. Particularly with a tight election imminent and had this got out it may have sunk him.

For a bloke who was so control freaky he secretly had himself sworn into five ministries it's a touch naive to think that Morrison wasn't all over this too. Particularly with a tight election imminent and had this got out it may have sunk him.
Didn’t Ben Dillaway work for PMO?

Hopefully everyone involved and invested in this case takes sone time to digest Justice Lee’s findings and move forward.

BL should think king and hard about his next move - it’s a long and extremely detailed and well considered judgement. I sincerely doubt there are any holes in it. No one will back him in an Appeal.

The Media in general needs to take a good hard look at itself and the role it played.

The cover up allegations within Linda Reynolds office were totally unfounded.

Plenty of mistakes were made immediately after the incident happened, everything is much clearer with the benefit of 20/20 hindsight.

No one won here.

I'd contend that the most likely turn of events was that Reynolds was at worst OK with Higgins going to the AFP and then Morrison's office found out and applied pressure to have the allegation withdrawn. That's why the cover up looks like a cluster*.

Reynolds essentially went rouge by somewhat following normal (normal) protocol and not normal (liberal party) protocol.

They probably shuffled Higgins off to Cash's office to babysit her because Cash was seen as loyal and holding the right kind of scruples. Only question there is is how much knowledge they gave Cash of the situation (giving things went pear-shaped they might have neglected to tell Cash it was important to keep Higgins onside) but shuffling 'problems' around to another office seems to have been the protocol (frankly common outside of Parliament too).

Last edited:
Brown and Reynolds came out of it OK in the judgement, they did exactly what they were supposed to do in the situation, Brown even going above and beyond on behalf of Higgins. She probably regrets not following Reynolds' orders to refer it to the AFP immediately.

Reynolds' actions afterward - including lying at the criminal trial - on the other hand show what a mean, spiteful cow she is.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back