BT Given the Friday Night Gig

Remove this Banner Ad

BT concentrating on the game and not getting on his soap box about goal reviews or boundary umpires or whatever braindead s**t he hacks on about on Saturday nights is pretty much a normal commentator.

If he can leave the banter and whinging to Saturday he will be ok.

How is it that someone so untalented keeps managing to get promoted?

profilepicture9.png

BT is fine. Clearly he is playing a role to instructions on Channel 7 who are obviously looking to replicate the entertainment style commentating on Saturday nights that Triple M is renowned for, but sadly BT doesn't have the same type of cattle to work with at 7 for it to work consistently.
When he did a few Friday night games this season, he obviously was asked to tone it down and so he did. I have no doubt that BT will be fine.

I have no doubt that Basil however will be a disaster. How this clown consistently is 5 seconds behind the play and gets rewarded is beyond comprehension. Bring in Huddo, or Jason Bennett. Even Peter Donegan is the consummate professional every time he is wheeled out whether it be golf or horse racing. But Basil? God help us all

Basil is not 'ok'. He's about as objectively s**t as you can call a commentator. He gets many names wrong and can't keep up with the play (as an example, the ball will be soaring through the goals as Basil says "and he kicks towards goal"). That's not getting into the subjective stuff like 'how he sounds' and faux excitement, which he is awful at too.

I have long thought that Basil's contribution could be replaced by an untrained person with a set of bongo drums. The other commentators could just speak as normal when its their turn - but Basil's turn to speak would be replaced by short bongo solos.

Personally I think BT on Friday nights is a great idea.

Makes the fact that my team doesn't get Friday night matches a little bit easier to take.

Edit: My hatred of BT is exacerbated by his biased calling against Port Adelaide, even to the point of numerous times yelling "Oh No" when Port have been coming close to hitting the lead in games, and even being forced by Ch 7 to apologise on air after one game when barracking for a Hawks comeback.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

BT is fine. Clearly he is playing a role to instructions on Channel 7 who are obviously looking to replicate the entertainment style commentating on Saturday nights that Triple M is renowned for, but sadly BT doesn't have the same type of cattle to work with at 7 for it to work consistently.
When he did a few Friday night games this season, he obviously was asked to tone it down and so he did. I have no doubt that BT will be fine.

I have no doubt that Basil however will be a disaster. How this clown consistently is 5 seconds behind the play and gets rewarded is beyond comprehension. Bring in Huddo, or Jason Bennett. Even Peter Donegan is the consummate professional every time he is wheeled out whether it be golf or horse racing. But Basil? God help us all

Agree wtf is basil even on tv for

Almost every time BT and Bruce have called a game over the last few years it's been good, they strangely bring out the best in each other.

Basil to Saturday nights is the problem. Clearly Basil is ignorant and only has a mild interest in the game which is why he gets a lot of things wrong, yet he continues to get promoted with a increased pay check due to probably having a connection with someone high up at channel 7.

Personally I think BT on Friday nights is a great idea.

Makes the fact that my team doesn't get Friday night matches a little bit easier to take.

Edit: My hatred of BT is exacerbated by his biased calling against Port Adelaide, even to the point of numerous times yelling "Oh No" when Port have been coming close to hitting the lead in games, and even being forced by Ch 7 to apologise on air after one game when barracking for a Hawks comeback.

When did this happen?

When did this happen?
After the 2015 game at Adelaide Oval when Port annihilated Hawthorn in the 1 1/2 qtrs, and BT spent the game barracking for a Hawks comeback, and after the game had to defend himself on air by pretending he was just trying to make the game interesting. If he hadn't been caught out previously barracking against Port then he could have used that excuse....

Remove this Banner Ad

Back