News Buddy Franklin wants to be traded to Brisbane.

Remove this Banner Ad

It's been great having Buddy as a swan, but it wouldn't bother me if he left for any other team - especially if still wanting big bucks. There are a lot of young/mid-career players on their list I think they should be prioritising.

Would rather see him head to Gold Coast. Brisbane don't need him anyway. They have two rangey tall left footer forwards already.

Honestly a tiny bit gutted he isn't coming to the Kennell.

While the Daniher/Hipwood combination has not worked this year, one caveat on your numbers there is that Buddy doesn't have to compete with another tall target. He's definitively the number one guy at Sydney.
Maybe - thats fair. Doesn't account for the defensive disparity though:
1659673945246.png

And when it comes to availability, both Hipwood and Daniher have a worse record than Franklin over the last 3 years for getting on the field consistently, and Hipwood only managed 3 more games over the last 5 years - so reliability isn't the problem.

Its a no brainer to me, I'd take Franklin in a heartbeat over either of the incumbents.

While I agree with most of your post, can I ask the Sydney fans how many games this year have they won with Franklin in the team vs him not being on the ground..?

From the Sydney games I've watched this season, purely from a neutral perspective, the Swans footy appears to be as good whether Franklin is playing or not... Sure, you'd never leave out the great man from the team if he's fit to play, but I've not seen any huge difference in the Swans performances with or without him.

Accordingly, in a World of 'Who needs who" which predominately determines all our lives, would Franklin really be such a great loss..?
I've only watched a handful of games, the 1000th goal, Richmond game, when Port played them and a few others when he was quiet.
I'm not in any camp regarding keeping Franklin or him moving to Brisbane.
The essence of my posts was:

• The strategy of him and his manager to discuss/leak the story of him moving.
  • His profile and financial worth to memberships and merchandise.
  • His history of shock announcements, moving to Sydney instead of GWS.
  • The potential for him to leak this story with the view that he'll have a big finals series and then renegotiate his contract.

I'm bullish of Sydney's chances this year and think their list is very strong but I'm also aware that moving on Franklin might not be a bad idea especially if they need space to get Dustin Martin (another poster mentioned this).
I also prefer a multi target forward line as it's better than a sole focus set up which Franklin sides can be guilty of.

If I had to lean a certain way then I'd actually support Franklin having one last shot at a flag with Sydney this year before moving on in 2023. If it opened up cap space to get Dustin Martin then that's a big plus for Sydney.
I'd also see a short term benefit for Brisbane off and on the field if they transitioned a current forward into their defence or even slimmed down Franklin a little and played him as a high half forward with brief bursts on the wing. Matthew Richardson nearly won a Brownlow when he transitioned to the wing late in his career, unsure what distance in kilometres that Franklin can cover these days but Brisbane need to gamble a little to win a flag in the next two years.

I understand the need to be close to family, but does it have to be Jesinta's family? They could see Buddy's family if he went to Freo, who actually need a key forward.
This seems like a somewhat sensitive issue, but personally I think it's pretty natural for women have a closer relationship to their parents than men do. It was never a question with my wife, we've always lived closer to her family that mine. I dunno why it's a bad thing to imply that women decide where their families live.

I've only watched a handful of games, the 1000th goal, Richmond game, when Port played them and a few others when he was quiet.
I'm not in any camp regarding keeping Franklin or him moving to Brisbane.
The essence of my posts was:

• The strategy of him and his manager to discuss/leak the story of him moving.
  • His profile and financial worth to memberships and merchandise.
  • His history of shock announcements, moving to Sydney instead of GWS.
  • The potential for him to leak this story with the view that he'll have a big finals series and then renegotiate his contract.

I'm bullish of Sydney's chances this year and think their list is very strong but I'm also aware that moving on Franklin might not be a bad idea especially if they need space to get Dustin Martin (another poster mentioned this).
I also prefer a multi target forward line as it's better than a sole focus set up which Franklin sides can be guilty of.

If I had to lean a certain way then I'd actually support Franklin having one last shot at a flag with Sydney this year before moving on in 2023. If it opened up cap space to get Dustin Martin then that's a big plus for Sydney.
I'd also see a short term benefit for Brisbane off and on the field if they transitioned a current forward into their defence or even slimmed down Franklin a little and played him as a high half forward with brief bursts on the wing. Matthew Richardson nearly won a Brownlow when he transitioned to the wing late in his career, unsure what distance in kilometres that Franklin can cover these days but Brisbane need to gamble a little to win a flag in the next two years.

Solid post and related to one of your points.

If anyone needs further evidence of how disingenuous and hypercritical the media are, one of the narratives running with this story is that Franklin is allegedly choosing the Lions to seek a flag..?
Hang on a minute isn't this the same media who for weeks have been claiming the Swans are the dark horse in the premiership race this season (which I support) to upset the current top 2, moreover with the Swans promising kids coming through most expect them to be playing finals for a few years to come..?

Sadly (due mainly to the demands of 24/7 content) the AFL media have generally evolved into a cesspool of bullshit artists all trying to sell the most believable nonsense they can..!
Related, its always a good belly laugh when their BS catches up with them (which happens more than most are aware) and then they arrogantly attempt to defend their non-existent so-called 'values and integrity'...

Last edited:
This seems like a somewhat sensitive issue, but personally I think it's pretty natural for women have a closer relationship to their parents than men do. It was never a question with my wife, we've always lived closer to her family that mine. I dunno why it's a bad thing to imply that women decide where their families live.

Agree. Everyone’s different and can live their life as they choose, but I’d think it was fairly common when you have young kids to want to be close to one of your families. Maybe coloured by my own experience, like yours - I’m Scottish, wife’s Australian, when we met we lived in London, once we started a family we were on a plane to Melbourne and been here since.

Re. Buddy and the cost - if it’s in the region of $500-600k for a couple of years it’s probably worth the gamble right? It’s not nothing, but it’s also not top end money for a functional key forward who will absolutely bring more people to games and won’t cost any draft capital.

If it’s Brisbane then I’d much rather be paying that money to Buddy than McStay, that’s for sure.

Would rather see him head to Gold Coast. Brisbane don't need him anyway. They have two rangey tall left footer forwards already.

Honestly a tiny bit gutted he isn't coming to the Kennell.
Naughton + Buddy up forward.

I'd love to see that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Agree. Everyone’s different and can live their life as they choose, but I’d think it was fairly common when you have young kids to want to be close to one of your families. Maybe coloured by my own experience, like yours - I’m Scottish, wife’s Australian, when we met we lived in London, once we started a family we were on a plane to Melbourne and been here since.
Yeah, I think it's similar to Tim Kelly's situation. People have good reasons for wanting to be close to certain parts of their family and your time on earth together is pretty short.

That said, I suspect this is just posturing to squeeze an extra $200k out of Sydney anyway.

var reply1 = "Bloke can barely even bend over any more. Have fun paying $700k for 10 games a year."

var reply2 = "Was never going anywhere. Worth every penny to finish his career as a Swan"

if (buddyStays = true) {
delete reply1;
} else {
delete reply2;
}

many would disagree!
Andrews (25), Adams (28), Gardiner (26) all very capable. Payne good low price depth. All just need to stay fit.

Probably time to draft a young KPD but time on your side, no need for urgency.

Starcevich and Coleman are young studs. Rich still going alright, have Wilmot in the wings, probably need to look at a medium and settle Ah Chee back there. Could even move Berry back in a pinch.

Maybe a player like Jacob Ryan in the draft to give you more medium/small depth as Rich retires.

I think your biggest issue is the same as us. Inside mids too good to replace but not damaging enough to match the output of the elites and elevate the side into contention.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back