Moved Thread Buddy or Ablett Snr?

Buddy or Ablett Snr?

• Buddy

Votes: 33 24.4%
  • Ablett Snr

Votes: 102 75.6%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

GAS v GAJ would be a nice poll tbh. I’d probably go with GAJ. Better overall player imo. Didn’t have a better peak but he’s got records that won’t be broken. GAS is like 5th-6th in all time goals. Many would say Lockett was a better forward.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Yeah but many people would also have Lockett ahead of Buddy. You've got to remember that GAS didn't even play full forward until later on in his career. Obviously if he played there for longer, Buddy isn't getting close to his goals tally. Too many unnecessary 1-2 handballs from GAJ for me. His stays very a little inflated imo. I'd go GAS-Lockett- Franklin- GAJ. Only because I like key forwards over mids. I'd have no issues with going GAJ over Franklin personally.

But yeah at least I provided reasons why I'd take GAS over Franklin. people forget he was almost 100kg. Extremely powerful.

Yeah but many people would also have Lockett ahead of Buddy. You've got to remember that GAS didn't even play full forward until later on in his career. Obviously if he played there for longer, Buddy isn't getting close to his goals tally. Too many unnecessary 1-2 handballs from GAJ for me. His stays very a little inflated imo. I'd go GAS-Lockett- Franklin- GAJ. Only because I like key forwards over mids. I'd have no issues with going GAJ over Franklin personally.

But yeah at least I provided reasons why I'd take GAS over Franklin. people forget he was almost 100kg. Extremely powerful.
SNR had everything. Power, speed, strength, could kick 60+ both feet and take marks in any way shape of form.

No player I've seen comes remotely close.

If he played in today's game he'd have kicked 2,000 goals.

I was at the game where he kicked 14 against Richmond playing on a wing/HF. He was unstoppable. He also tore Dipper a new one the year Dipper won the Brownlow. If you watch the highlights of that game Ablett made Dipper look like Cale Morton.

A once in a lifetime talent.

SNR had everything. Power, speed, strength, could kick 60+ both feet and take marks in any way shape of form.

I was at the game where he kicked 14 against Richmond playing on a wing/HF. He was unstoppable. He also tore Dipper a new one the year Dipper won the Brownlow. If you watch the highlights of that game Ablett made Dipper look like Cale Morton.

yeah I agree. If we're comparing him to buddy, GAS was stronger, better 1 on 1, a farrrr better mark, a better kick for goal, better aerially and better on the ground. Franklin just had him for athleticism. And GAS was doing this whilst being undersized. A freakish talent. And definitely better than Junior.

For me Ablett's peak was from 2007 - 2014 inclusive (before his shoulder injury) and he was miles above every other player in the competition. Unlike just about every other star player, his peak was for a long time. It wasn't a two or three season burst.

I think peak should just be his best season. 89 v 09 or 13. Peak means the highest point, so it’s singular. GAJ didn’t win Brownlows every season from 07-14 anyway. So he’s not the outright best in each year.

I don’t really buy the position argument. He didn’t play FF because he wasn’t good enough their compared to the flank. It’s a chicken and the egg argument. His goal tally is his goal tally, that’s all we judge him on.

No body comes close? You don’t actually believe that do you? Pretty sure most people say Matthews was better. He got voted player of the century over GAS for a reason.

I don’t really buy the position argument. He didn’t play FF because he wasn’t good enough their compared to the flank. It’s a chicken and the egg argument. His goal tally is his goal tally, that’s all we judge him on.

I mean you obviously haven't seen him play. It's like someone saying LeBron is better than Jordan. And saying they've seen Jordan's highlights so now feel qualified to talk about him.

Ablett is the Goat and did most things better.

the highlights speak for themselves. Buddy couldn't do what Ablett could do aerially. And Ablett was dual-sided. Franklin had no right foot. When is the last time you saw Franklin kick bananas on his right from the boundary?

Franklin is one of the greats but there were still shortcomings to his game like marking, lack of right foot etc.

Last edited:
I think peak should just be his best season. 89 v 09 or 13. Peak means the highest point, so it’s singular. GAJ didn’t win Brownlows every season from 07-14 anyway. So he’s not the outright best in each year.

Brownlow's mean very little. I mean just look at Wines last year, yet not a top 50 player this year. Cripps wasn't a top 15 player this season either.

Ablett for mine. Tore Essendon apart on a number of occasions (Like Buddy) but the thing I remember is him kicking 8 goals from the wing (i think) on debut for Victoria against a very strong WA side in Perth. Also, played for Myrtleford for a season and my uncle, who lived in the next town, would not stop raving about him.

Brownlow's mean very little. I mean just look at Wines last year, yet not a top 50 player this year. Cripps wasn't a top 15 player this season either.

It is generally is a good indicator. The Fyfe, Judd, Swan, Bartel Brownlows in that period. None of them were the best that year? Idk about they they had mad seasons.

It is generally is a good indicator. The Fyfe, Judd, Swan, Bartel Brownlows in that period. None of them were the best that year? Idk about they they had mad seasons.

yeah but its just a midfielders medal anyway. it doesn't really mean much to true footy nuts.

Look at Gary Ablett Senior. Round 13, 1993. 10 goals, 6 behinds. 0 Brownlow votes. haha, I mean the award has been a joke for years. Round 19 in the same year, 8.2. 0 votes. Round 2 the same year: 7.2, 0 Votes. Round 5 he kicked 8.5 and only got 1 vote. Round 9: 7.6 but 0 votes. Round 18, he kicked 10.6 and didn't poll 3 votes. The Brownlow means almost nothing. If you go through his 1993 season, he would've had 35 votes by todays Brownlow votes standards. in only 17 games.

yeah but its just a midfielders medal anyway. it doesn't really mean much to true footy nuts.

Look at Gary Ablett Senior. Round 13, 1993. 10 goals, 6 behinds. 0 Brownlow votes. haha, I mean the award has been a joke for years. Round 19 in the same year, 8.2. 0 votes. Round 2 the same year: 7.2, 0 Votes. Round 5 he kicked 8.5 and only got 1 vote. Round 9: 7.6 but 0 votes. Round 18, he kicked 10.6 and didn't poll 3 votes. The Brownlow means almost nothing. If you go through his 1993 season, he would've had 35 votes by todays Brownlow votes standards. in only 17 games.

I heard back then the voting was different, like they took players character into account for the actual votes and AA selections. Maybe that’s why, cause he only has 4 AAs and Lethal has 1. Was GAS a grubby player?

But yeah it’s midfield centric, but I think usually the best players are midfielders. A lot of a forwards dominance is reliant on the performance of the midfield. But no way somebody kicks 10 and doesn’t get a vote nowadays. Pretty sure the only player to win a Coleman and a Brownlow is Lockett.

I mean you obviously haven't seen him play. It's like someone saying LeBron is better than Jordan. And saying they've seen Jordan's highlights so now feel qualified to talk about him.

Ablett is the Goat and did most things better.

the highlights speak for themselves. Buddy couldn't do what Ablett could do aerially. And Ablett was dual-sided. Franklin had no right foot. When is the last time you saw Franklin kick bananas on his right from the boundary?

Franklin is one of the greats but there were still shortcomings to his game like marking, lack of right foot etc.

Have to be honest, these highlights are pretty boring in my opinion.
What we really need to see are some of his earlier games when he just arrived at Geelong. I have most of his career stored away but will start loading everything onto YouTube. It gives a better picture of what he was like as a 21-26 yr old. He was extremely athletic in his younger years. Brilliant spring and quick first step which allowed him to slot some amazing goals.

A shame Geelong never made finals when he was flying high in the mid 80's. We saw some of the best of him from 1989-1993 but that was at the tail end of his 'prime' years.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I heard back then the voting was different, like they took players character into account for the actual votes and AA selections. Maybe that’s why, cause he only has 4 AAs and Lethal has 1. Was GAS a grubby player?

But yeah it’s midfield centric, but I think usually the best players are midfielders. A lot of a forwards dominance is reliant on the performance of the midfield. But no way somebody kicks 10 and doesn’t get a vote nowadays.

AA did not exist back then!

Seriously, just stop posting on Ablett Snr and go back to the Dustin Martin threads :thumbsu:

AA did not exist back then!

Seriously, just stop posting on Ablett Snr and go back to the Dustin Martin threads :thumbsu:

Um yes it did. Lethals was 1972, GAS was 92-95. Just google it, why tf are you getting upset and yelling? Do you just want a GAS wankfest everywhere.

Um yes it did. Lethals was 1972, GAS was 92-95. Just google it.

They were known as the Carnival and Victorian & National All Australian teams of the year. There was no AFL All-Australian until the 90's.

Gary Ablett Snr was in the National All Australian team of 1984.
Victorian team of the year 1986 & 1989.
All Australian teams 1992, 1993, 1994, 1995.
Played for Victoria 11 times for 43 goals.

Leigh Matthews was is in the Carnival AA team of 1972.
Victorian team of the year 1982 & 1990.
Played for Victoria 14 times for 29 goals.

Have to be honest, these highlights are pretty boring in my opinion.
What we really need to see are some of his earlier games when he just arrived at Geelong. I have most of his career stored away but will start loading everything onto YouTube. It gives a better picture of what he was like as a 21-26 yr old. He was extremely athletic in his younger years. Brilliant spring and quick first step which allowed him to slot some amazing goals.

A shame Geelong never made finals when he was flying high in the mid 80's. We saw some of the best of him from 1989-1993 but that was at the tail end of his 'prime' years.
Those 3 vids you made were exceptional.

Every footy fan needs to see those, especially the ones not privileged enough to have seen him play.

GOAT.

They were known as the Carnival and Victorian & National All Australian teams of the year. There was no AFL All-Australian until the 90's.

Gary Ablett Snr was in the National All Australian team of 1984.
Victorian team of the year 1986 & 1989.
All Australian teams 1992, 1993, 1994, 1995.
Played for Victoria 11 times for 43 goals.

Leigh Matthews was is in the Carnival AA team of 1972.
Victorian team of the year 1982 & 1990.
Played for Victoria 14 times for 29 goals.

Ah ok fair enough, they didn’t mention those other awards on GAS main wiki page.

I’d like to see them.

All s**t aside I'll send them to you in the next day or two.

I watched all bar 8 games of his career live.

Thanks:) for real though GAS is my GOAT forward. I care wait to see them.

It's blasphemy when you said before that he wasn't good enough to play forward and that's why he was playing on the wing. The guy kicked 9 in a half on the wing lol. They're the levels of his greatness. Also, you haven't really touched on Franklins clear deficiencies. Deficiencies that Ablett excelled at.

It's blasphemy when you said before that he wasn't good enough to play forward and that's why he was playing on the wing. The guy kicked 9 in a half on the wing lol. They're the levels of his greatness. Also, you haven't really touched on Franklins clear deficiencies. Deficiencies that Ablett excelled at.

No no its not a negative thing, it’s just I believe players skills is what determines their positions he played his best for the team as a wingman.

For example Danger and Fyfe are great players but can’t kick goals to save their lives. You could put them as full forwards and they’ll kick more goals but they will play worse for themselves and the team. I raised this point because of the goal tally argument, whatever he kicked he kicked. At that point in time he was the best wingman in the league so that’s where he played. Hope I’ve explained it clearly.

You sort of touched on Buddy’s deficiencies. Not as good at ground level nor as good in the air. He had a massive boot on him though. He kicks 60m goals with ease. I don’t know if GAS was better at it than Buddy as I didn’t see him play, was he better?

But yeah it’s midfield centric, but I think usually the best players are midfielders. A lot of a forwards dominance is reliant on the performance of the midfield. But no way somebody kicks 10 and doesn’t get a vote nowadays. Pretty sure the only player to win a Coleman and a Brownlow is Lockett.

Complete myth. Greg Williams (rightly) won two Brownlows and he was dirtier than Ablett ever was.

Ablett had insane expectations and a great game by anyone else was often deemed ok for him. Lockett was similar.

Back