Buddy's contract killing Sydney's depth?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
lol, I think i touched a nerve. let me try again....
2012 GF....3 first round picks........12 first round picks.....

jeeebus...some of you guys are awfully sensitive given you just won a flag. I was making a point about the irrelevance of 1st round picks if you draft, trade and recycle well, and you brought it back to cola.

Why did hawks have to bottom out after 08? Oh, thats right you didnt, you just got lazy.

Sydney did bottom out....in 2009 when we missed the finals, the only time in 11 seasons. They dont like missing finals. Its why they have played more than any other teams since 1996....oh wait, must be cola.....pft, please, putting so much emphasis on it is insulting to the players of all teams and game....or maybe you are just showing your ignorance.

go on, tell me more about cola, i need a laugh.

We haven't had a pick inside the top 15 since 2008. Since then we've traded away plenty of our first and second round picks in order to top up on experienced players from other clubs that will help us win a flag. So far we've achieved that goal.

While Sydney hasn't had too many good players picked in the first round, they've done very well to find some hidden talent with some late round picks with the likes of Smith, Bird, Jack, Jetta and co.

Not to mention I'd rather have LRT in our 22 as first choice 2nd ruck and swingman. Oh wait, we have issues with our depth....

Just on this, and I have been a supporter of Syd in this thread, but nominating at 31 yo (in 14) 194cm guy with dodgy knees who has averaged 1.4 H/O in his career as your choice for second ruck does nothing to further your cause in this thread.:)
I know, he did ok in late 2011, but that is like an eternity ago in footy terms.

Just on this, and I have been a supporter of Syd in this thread, but nominating at 31 yo (in 14) 194cm guy with dodgy knees who has averaged 1.4 H/O in his career as your choice for second ruck does nothing to further your cause in this thread.:)
I know, he did ok in late 2011, but that is like an eternity ago in footy terms.

He wouldn't be the traditional second ruck, he would play more of a Leigh Brown role. His versatility around the ground, plus his support ruck work and effort would be invaluable. If he can contribute for another year whilst the others develop it would be awesome.

Well then, there's your problem, no no, not that you had a thought, but that you thought it was for average clubs, it's for Shizen teams and the 04 Hawks were shizen.:)
Another two years you'l be in the same boat ;)

If we don't trade and or shop in the F/A market well to boost our Mid depth you may well be close to accurate, but I think our mid depth is ok going forward, pick up a quality couple of mids via trade or F/A and we could just battle on Syd like.

In two years time we will have a stack of cash remaining in our cap to throw around following the retirements of our senior players who are about to finish up and of course the 'Buddy money' that's still left over. The last time we tanked, we won the flag four years later. So which ever path we take in the future, we are certain to win another flag or two given our current strike rate.

LRT was the difference between hawks swans in 2012

In two years time we will have a stack of cash remaining in our cap to throw around following the retirements of our senior players who are about to finish up and of course the 'Buddy money' that's still left over. The last time we tanked, we won the flag four years later. So which ever path we take in the future, we are certain to win another flag or two given our current strike rate.
Cash doesn't buy you good kids and that is what you lack!

Cash doesn't buy you good kids and that is what you lack!

There's GWS and Gold Coast youngsters we can go after and offer them a huge contract and we can also trade for high draft picks if we need to. So it's not all doom & gloom.

There's GWS and Gold Coast youngsters we can go after and offer them a huge contract and we can also trade for high draft picks if we need to. So it's not all doom & gloom.
Who are you going to trade out for high draft picks?

Yes it is, now you have two players on multi million dollar deals which doesn't help.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He's not a bad defensive forward

Keep your daft replies for the trolls, I thought I was having a decent footy discussion.

Let's have a look at the kids coming through in 2014:

Hawks
Gunston: 23
Hill: 21
Shiels: 23
Duryea: 23
Anderson: 20
Grimley: 23
Langford: 22
Hallahan: 22
Woodward: 21
O'Brien: 20
Garlett: 20

Syd
Hannebury: 23
Rohan: 23
Reid: 23
Johnson: 22
Parker: 22
Mitchell: 21
Cunningham: 21
Brandon Jack: 20
Membrey: 20

Gunston and Hannebury the standouts, Mitchell and Anderson the quality young mids, the list is pretty even.

Keep your daft replies for the trolls, I thought I was having a decent footy discussion.

Hawks

Syd

Gunston and Hannebury the standouts, Mitchell and Anderson the quality young mids, the list is pretty even.
Get your hand of it 8 of the hawks players mentioned are spuds. Garlett lol

Hawks

Syd

Agree, both lists are pretty even. Dont forget Perris though.

I might be biased, but I'd go wit the swans list. Mitchell, Hannebery, and Perris should/would have all been top 5 picks, arguably top 3.

Add to that the 2nd level of Reid, Parker, Jetta, Rohan, Johnson (fit)

Then the 3rd level potential of Membrey, Jack, Cunningham, Jones, Hewitt, and Nakkas...

...actually on second thought its not that even...imo Sydney have this comparison by a country mile, and I think most non-syd/hawk supporters would agree.

I like Gunston, Hill, Shiels, Duryea.....but not sure about the others.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back