Buddy's contract killing Sydney's depth?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
btw

Where did Hawthorn get the $1.1mill per year to offer Franklin ?....who did they move on to clear that kind of money from the cap to offer such big money to get him to stay ? All Sydney did was offer an extra 4 yrs.

derrrrr....if i was a 10 yo it would sounds like there's an AFl conspiracy to support Hawthorn.

What about the rumour Hawthorn are paying Lake $750K and Rioli $900K ?? Where did you pull that cap space from ? Would like those rumours confirmed or denied before "i get carried away"...sound familiar ? Best i keep saying that over and over coz it makes a good story.

Where did Adelaide find the $850K they offered Tippett to stay ? He's not even on $800K at Sydney, less than Cloke negotiated at Pies last yr. Ok for Adelaide to be able to afford him but not Sydney ? Funny that isnt it.

Where did Collingwoood get the 950K they're paying Cloke ? They didnt free up much space either...Sydney moving 8 players counts as noone and no money so i wonder how Pies can afford it....was Daisy on 800K ??? How the hell did they afford that ? How did they afford to pay White ...actually there's a rumour that White is on $600k...i'd like that confirmed or denied "before i get carried away" like a Hawthorn fan. Till then i better just keep saying it over and over coz it sounds a good convenient story to spin.

Sounds to me like there's an AFl conspiracy in favour of Melb clubs. Sydney moves 8 guys in a single season and yet apparently we still shouldnt be able to afford one big contract...but the Vic clubs dont need to move much at all. Bloody pets.

One million dollars extra is one millions dollars extra

Nobody cares what they say it's for, more is more and noone gives a flying **** about the cost of living anywhere and that you think it's valid as an argument is delusion, it never has been a valid reason.
You can make up any reason to advantage a team and call it an allowance for that and make an arbitrary compensation.
We'd love to have a fishbowl town allowance over here in Adelaide, an allowance for being an unattractive place to set up a business, since noone bloody comes here.

If you honestly don't think clubs can find affordable accommodation for new recruits it's not worth having a dialogue with you at all.
Oh s**t these 3 new inter-staters have to pay 10 bucks more per week for their shared accommodation in Sydney if it is they actually pay rent.
Just stop, you can't just keep repeating yourself and expect it to be valid and it's just insulting at this point that you think people should take your naive BS on board.
Produce a rent certificate for a Swans recruit to give this some actual substance or STFU with this done to death failed argument, even then it doesn't extend to payments to other players at a percentage, you have no argument.

An NBA player is paid 10 mill living in L.A gets taxed in one state 13.3% moves to Houston is taxed nothing.
Team isn't paying anything more player gets more in other state can attract more players for less.

I can call something the child health fund and use that money to destroy children's health, because titles for things totally matter.......

Stop just please stop flogging something that is clearly misappropriation or it would not be getting changed as policy makers don't like to be pushed to do anything they would rather cover their asses with slight adjustments even when something is glaringly ridiculous and the slow death of these allocations is the only way to go not to cause problems for the Swans who are just doing as they should and using what they are allocated...

Wow, what an aggressive response to what was quite a simple and factual post. You must be so proud. Travel to Sydney. If you can't be bothered doing that, get on to realestate.com.au and have a browse of the rental costs of homes within an hour's drive of the Swans facility.

A mortgage is not a cost of living?

Rent was explicitly stated as something that was "especially" more expensive in Sydney than any other Australian city.

The Swans have consistently stated that the allowance is spread across its playing list to compensate them for the fact that basic costs of living - especially rent - are considerably more expensive in Sydney than any other Australian city

w***er.

Would like Malceski to stay.

If he doesn't, then we've got Gary Rohan, Zak Jones, Dean Towers and (fingers crossed) Alex Johnson outside this year's best 22 who can play the attacking half-back role. Or we can move Jarrad McVeigh back there again and free up space in the midfield for someone like Tom Mitchell or Lloyd Perris to claim a spot.

Lack of depth? Tell that to the two dual premiership players, one of them a Norm Smith winner, who can't get a game.

Would like Malceski to stay.

If he doesn't, then we've got Gary Rohan, Zak Jones, Dean Towers and (fingers crossed) Alex Johnson outside this year's best 22 who can play the attacking half-back role. Or we can move Jarrad McVeigh back there again and free up space in the midfield for someone like Tom Mitchell or Lloyd Perris to claim a spot.

Lack of depth? Tell that to the two dual premiership players, one of them a Norm Smith winner, who can't get a game.

2 players does not make depth....

not that i dont think the swans have decent depth cover....amazed t .mitch isnt playing....

2 players does not make depth....

not that i dont think the swans have decent depth cover....amazed t .mitch isnt playing....

Persistent injuries this year, unfortunately. Hasn't been able to string together matches in the ressies to allow him to push for a spot.

And our depth is the equal of any team's in the competition. We can cover Malceski, though obviously I'd prefer not to. It may well come down to what Adam decides to do.

Updated in July 2014.

http://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-livin...untry2=Australia&city1=Melbourne&city2=Sydney

Indices Difference

Consumer Prices in Sydney are 2.28% higher than in Melbourne

Consumer Prices Including Rent in Sydney are 14.82% higher than in Melbourne

Rent Prices in Sydney are 41.23% higher than in Melbourne

Restaurant Prices in Sydney are 0.65% lower than in Melbourne

Groceries Prices in Sydney are 0.25% lower than in Melbourne

Local Purchasing Power in Sydney is 5.48% lower than in Melbourne

You would need around 7,118.80A$ in Sydney to maintain the same standard of life that you can have with 6,200.00A$ in Melbourne (assuming you rent in both cities). This calculation uses our Consumer Prices Including Rent Index

Updated in July 2014.

http://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-livin...untry2=Australia&city1=Melbourne&city2=Sydney

Indices Difference

You would need around 7,118.80A$ in Sydney to maintain the same standard of life that you can have with 6,200.00A$ in Melbourne (assuming you rent in both cities). This calculation uses our Consumer Prices Including Rent Index

Bruce, people have been using data and reason for years to argue this case. It falls on deaf ears.

Bruce, people have been using data and reason for years to argue this case. It falls on deaf ears.

The main factor seems to be rent..... Do you not have families for the new draftees to stay at when they come from interstate? For us, Gaff stayed with a family for a couple of years and when he did move out he'd obviously be on a better contract than his rookie one. This happens with all our non-WA recruits.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yes. And they also seem to ignore that there are very few Swans supporters who argue that COLA should apply to the top paid players despite the verifiable FACT that a contract worth $1 million in Melbourne is worth only $870,000 in Sydney.

Call it trolling if you will, but inserting a few factual statistics into the debate makes me feel good.

Updated in July 2014.

Indices Difference

You make a valid point, Sydney is more expensive than Melbourne. That said Sydney also offers advantages to a number of players that Melbourne can't offer such as reduced media coverage, lifestyle & home locations that make Sydney still a desirable place to live/work. You can't just say things are more expensive in Sydney than Melbourne for the same product.

Wow Another "Buddys destroying Sydney Piece" from the media. It wouldn't surprise me to see Malceski go because yeah the guy does deserve a pay rise that Sydney can't give him. But to say its going to destroy their depth is idiotic, Great teams build their list not just for now but for the future when stuff like this happens so yes they have plenty of young guys who can come up and do his role maybe not as good at first but the young guys will get a lot better at it as the years go on.

You make a valid point, Sydney is more expensive than Melbourne. That said Sydney also offers advantages to a number of players that Melbourne can't offer such as reduced media coverage, lifestyle & home locations that make Sydney still a desirable place to live/work. You can't just say things are more expensive in Sydney than Melbourne for the same product.

I think if you take out the home locations that can really only be afforded by Buddy, they're much of a muchness really. As to reduced media coverage, that's actually a downside to many. The opportunities to develop a profile are far fewer in Sydney than in Melbourne. I'm sure anonymity is an advantage to some, but certainly not others. Indeed, this was the justification for the Brisbane salary cap concessions, which were based on the average additional earnings of Melbourne based footballers that simply weren't available at the time to Brisbane players.

I've seen this said a bit, but as a young AFL player, do you think you crave anonymity and a nice flat near the beach or fame and all that comes with it? While some would like a house near the beach, i think most would trade it for fame, sponsorship and groupies.

The perks generally cancel out. All you get left with is the cost difference.

I've seen this said a bit, but as a young AFL player, do you think you crave anonymity and a nice flat near the beach or fame and all that comes with it? While some would like a house near the beach, i think most would trade it for fame, sponsorship and groupies.

The perks generally cancel out. All you get left with is the cost difference.

That's true but you'd have to say the ability to capture stars of the game like Buddy & Tippet are more valuable than the ability to attract young players. Stars can pick and chose, particularly with free agency, its a bit more difficult to lull young players to a particular club these days.

Why have Geelong been so successful for so long? They built a good list, had a good gamplan, smart recruiting and kept the list together.
Why have Hawthorn been so successful for so long? They built a good list, had a good gamplan, smart recruiting and kept the list together.
Why have Collingwood been so successful for so long? They built a good list, had a good gamplan, smart recruiting and kept the list together.
Why have Sydney been so successful for so long? Apparently, COLA
Why were Brisbane successful? Apparently COLA.

It's just insulting. Why is the success of Brisbane and Sydney not due to exactly the same factors as people credit Geelong, Hawthorn and Collingwood? There is a lot of jealousy and tall-poppy syndrome on BF.

Yeh good comparison.....o_O

Geelong drafted well and grew their list. I challenge you to find me a time when they went out and blew big money on a player from another club. Or even paid a price at the draft table.
Same with Hawthorn, they got Gunston, and more recently McEvoy but they havent exactly been grabbing top players left right and centre.

Sydney did that for a while, but now they're just abusing the CoLA.

Dont worry, it will screw them for years to come.
If they dont win at least a flag in the next 3 years they'll be rooted.

You're making an impassioned case here for the continuing validity of the dictionary in society, which is very admirable, but the bottom line is that if you think a pissy 9.8% made the difference between signing or not signing Tippett and Franklin, you know nothing about the business and I'm surprised you even know how to look up words in the dictionary.

And clearly you can't read the Main Board posting rules.

Lol 10% is pissy.
In a sport where 1% makes all the difference, having an extra million dollars to pay players is a pretty big hecking advantage.

Clearly YOU have no hecking idea.

That's true but you'd have to say the ability to capture stars of the game like Buddy & Tippet are more valuable than the ability to attract young players. Stars can pick and chose, particularly with free agency, its a bit more difficult to lull young players to a particular club these days.
Yeah, but stars don't just choose for lifestyle either. We lucked out that 1: Tippett wanted to live by the beach and GTFO of Adelaide, and 2: Buddy's girlfriend wanted to be in Sydney.

But like Brisbane, we're more prone to players "going home to be with family". We've lost players, and a lot of them have said part of the decision is to be near family. It's never the only reason, people and life just aren't that simple, but it is a factor.

I think it balances, or at least it does as long as we are successful. If Sydney had a spell at the bottom of the ladder, i wouldn't be surprised if the same old problems Brisbane has started raising their head again.

Geelong drafted well and grew their list. I challenge you to find me a time when they went out and blew big money on a player from another club. Or even paid a price at the draft table.
Same with Hawthorn, they got Gunston, and more recently McEvoy but they havent exactly been grabbing top players left right and centre.

Are you a goldfish, or do you have a memory longer than 2 years? I said a long time. Geelong have been up for 8 years. Hawthorn up for nearly as long. Collingwood too. We only bought Tippett and Franklin AFTER 2012, when we'd also had a period of sustained success.

So we've had COLA for a long time, won a flag, and it's only getting Tippett and Buddy that is the COLA problem?

Oh, and Hawthorn... Gunston, MacEvoy, Burgoyne, Lake, Hale... nah, not grabbing players at all. Not that i'm criticising. It's called smart recruiting and building a good list. But it's not like we're the only ones.

Hawks do what Sydney do they go out and get players from other clubs by trade or free agency, Hale,Gibson,Lake,Burgoyne just to name a few. Only difference is that Sydney normally see talent and potential in players where other clubs don't, So sydney pick up under appreciated players at a steal and turn them into good/great players.

Updated in July 2014.

Indices Difference

Rents are a consideration yes - but how many players would actually be renting (particularly ones on 200-300k+ per year).

I think it is a good thing that the AFL provides additional funds to rookies <$100k who will actually be renting and obviously impacted by the higher costs.

However for those who buy (i.e. the majority of players), they should not be given more money.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back