Can Hawthorn succeed while ignoring the elite end of the draft?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
mate by 2021/2022, Hawthorn, if they are smart, which they generally are, will on the bottom of the ladder getting top 5 draft picks.

For the hawks to win the flag by 2021. The 2020 offseason is gunna be huge. they will have to bring in players of the quality of

Coniglio
Whitfield
Prestia
Lynch
kelly
Shiels

Um, considering all these guys knocked them back, I don't think so.

Worst thing that could happen is a desperate attempt to stay relevant by bringing in more B graders .

This will keep them middle of the road for longer . Its a tough spot.
thx for the opinion

im far more optimistic

mate by 2021/2022, Hawthorn, if they are smart, which they generally are, will on the bottom of the ladder getting top 5 draft picks.

For the hawks to win the flag by 2021. The 2020 offseason is gunna be huge. they will have to bring in players of the quality of

Coniglio
Whitfield
Prestia
Lynch
kelly
Shiels

Worst thing that could happen is a desperate attempt to stay relevant by bringing in more B graders .
take the tiges in 2017

who'd you bring in?
-caddy, prestia, nank off the top of my head

all B/C graders when you brought them in

Port also targeted established players in recent seasons.

Unless there are free agents on offer it's an expensive exercise.
for the top-line talent/players you need to pay a premium. Kelly cost a lot but no doubt he's probably worth it

hawthorn's brought in the burgoynes and wingards over the years, using trade currency when they feel it's warranted

but in order to get established players without paying a high price, the hawks have targeted
a)players with an injury history e.g. patton, scully
b)players wanting to come home e.g. impey
c)displaced players( pushed out of best 22 calculations) e.g. Frost, Hartley
d)fringe players in good teams e.g. mitchell

Yes and yes. However if the Hawks won it next year wouldn’t be anymore surprising then when Dogs won it 2016, Tigers 2017 or WC 2018. No one picked these sides going into the season. During 2016/17 summer Hardwick would have been talking to career advisers on a plan B on what to do next as he was on the verge of being sacked given the Tigers pathetic 2016 year.

you are seriously joking ?
In 2017 Richmond had Jack , rance, cotchin Martin and Edwards

in 2019 who do hawthorn have ?

Last edited:
Should we change the name of this thread to reflect how awesome Richmond are? Given that's what this thread (as well as many other threads on the MB) has devolved into. We get it. You're awesome. Can we actually get back to discussing the original premise of the thread now?

you are seriously joking ?
In 2017 Richmond had Jack , rance, cotchin Martin and Edwards

in 2019 who do hawthorn have ?

Those guys played for Tigers in 2016? The jungle drums were pounding. Tigers supporters have short memories or blinkers on to think that winning it 2017 wasn’t a massive massive surprise.

Given that the Hawks are not that far off the best teams nothing would surprise.

None of the current soft Bomber mids would attempt that. That is courage, toughness right there. Heppel would have skipped out the way. Not bad for a 20yo at pick 45!

If you're going to have a dig at an Essendon player for squibbing a contest you probably should have picked someone other than Heppell. Zaharakis for example, now he loves to avoid contact.

None of the current soft Bomber mids would attempt that. That is courage, toughness right there. Heppel would have skipped out the way. Not bad for a 20yo at pick 45!
Dyson Shortsteppell.

Coniglio
Whitfield
Prestia
Lynch
kelly
Shiels

Um, considering all these guys knocked them back, I don't think so.

This will keep them middle of the road for longer . Its a tough spot.

lynch got out.
Port also targeted established players in recent seasons.

Rockliff, Ryder, Motlop, Polec, Watts, White, Dixon, Lycett, Monfries and I guess Burton were all brought in to be best 22 players. They brought in fringe guys too (same as Hawthorn) but every club does that.

Port are an interesting case because around 2013/14 they were ascending and had a fairly young team. Only two players older than 27 in the team that played Hawthorn in the 2014 prelim. Since then they have topped up to some degree but haven't really gone anywhere. Have made the finals once in 5 seasons with a worst result of 10-12 in that time. Complete holding pattern. That roup is now getting on a bit (7 players 29+ in their last 22) and they seem to have made a recent decision to return to youth using 5 first round picks in two years. Hawthorn have an older and more experienced team than Port. Will they keep trying to stay at that point of the curve (26/27 age, 2500-3000 experience)? Unless there are free agents on offer it's an expensive exercise.

as mentioned, since 2010 half the entrants to best 22 come from mature and half come from box hill. Its a hybrid model and not unknown to other clubs

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Should we change the name of this thread to reflect how awesome Richmond are? Given that's what this thread (as well as many other threads on the MB) has devolved into. We get it. You're awesome. Can we actually get back to discussing the original premise of the thread now?

Ah let him have his fun, he aint hurting anyone..

We know more about our team's list than a Richmond fan. You know we are in decent shape, I know it. Thats what matters.

I remember a couple of Hawks fans were acting equally insecure in the off season a couple of years ago.

The more I think about it, the more I come to the conclusion that Hawthorn just aren't going to play finals in 2020. I feel bad saying this but it's just my honest opinion.

Hawthorn supporters are always using "end of season form" as the reason why they're going to jump up again the next year... and it really has no merit. Fact is, they are a middle of the road team with a middle of the road list that spent more time in the bottom 4 than the top 8 after the first month of season 2019. They stink.
Squiggle

That Worpel piece of play was soon after starting his senior AFL career. Probably the moment Hawks fans stood up and noticed. His uncompromising determination, get the ball at any cost attitude is one of the most important traits needed when the heat is on during games. It’s either in you or it’s not, you can’t teach that. Could be a player built for finals!

I am a fan of Worpel.

Wanted him big time but you guys stole him just before our first pick that year.

To be fair, we probably would have turned him into a s**t forward pocket with the way our development program works.
Sammy Mitchell in the coaching department could be our best recruit of late. Our midfield will soon make Jobe Watson cry

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back