Can Hawthorn succeed while ignoring the elite end of the draft?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
, yes I've been enjoying a footy free summer, feelsgoodman

You are taking a break????? but you still need to stop in here for your fix of talking about Hawthorn with Hawthorn supporters.

I don't how much money you have, or if the banks have enough money to cover the cost of the high end psychotherapy that you need to realise that you truly love the brown and the gold.

You are taking a break????? but you still need to stop in here for your fix of talking about Hawthorn with Hawthorn supporters.

I don't how much money you have, or if the banks have enough money to cover the cost of the high end psychotherapy that you need to realise that you truly love the brown and the gold.
wow how triggered are you?

To jump on literally the only post I've made in a Hawthorn thread in over 3 months, on a post that is a simple opportunistic word play joke, and isn't even remotely about Hawthorn?

Send me the deeds to your account when you get a chance, as I obviously own you lock stock and barrel

wow how triggered are you?

To jump on literally the only post I've made in a Hawthorn thread in over 3 months, on a post that is a simple opportunistic word play joke, and isn't even remotely about Hawthorn?

Send me the deeds to your account when you get a chance, as I obviously own you lock stock and barrel

Truth is not your strong point,

out

Ryan Burton, pick 19
Kieran Lovell, pick 22
Jonathan O'Rourke, pick 2
Brendan Whitecross, pick 29
Cyril Rioli, pick 12
Ty Vickery, pick 8
Only two of those were drafted by us in the last 5 years and we didn't pay the picks listed for O'Rourke or Ty, in fact we didn't pay any picks for Ty

While whitey was unlucky not to get a premiership medal, he’s definately been in the ‘win’ column

Trying to think of a more unlucky player ever. Looking at the books, Rod Lester-Smith played 97 games in 84-87, playing only in the losing grand finals 84 and 85, last minute omission in 86

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rod_Lester-Smith

Last edited:
Every teams list hovers around the same mark due to a decent proportion of it being made up of 18-21 year olds who never play more than a couple of games.

What matters is the age of the best 22. Hawthorn’s is old. That is not a problem by itself, but having an old best 22 and getting better is a very difficult thing to do. A player like Breust being 28 may not be a problem, but having half the best 22 older than 28 is, because injury risk increases with age, and increases dramatically as a player approaches and surpasses 30.

Which is why you get teams like Geelong, Fremantle and Hawthorn bundles out in straight sets in recent years. Very old sides do it tougher at the end of the year

Burgoyne, Shaun 36yr
Roughead, Jarryd 32yr
Puopolo, Paul 31yr
Birchall, Grant 31yr
Henderson, Ricky 30yr
Frawley, James 30yr
Smith, Isaac 30yr
Stratton, Benjamin 30yr
McEvoy, Ben 29yr
Schoenmakers, Ryan 28yr
Breust, Luke 28yr

:openmouth:

If anything, doesn't that list prove that the top end of the draft is a crap shoot and not the fundamental element of building a champion team?

CRioli was a jet, Vickery kicked a lot of goals in the AFL,Ryan Burton departure outraged a large percentage of hawks fans, Whitecross was servicable

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The bigger question is whether flimsy hawks fan stay fat for the long haul

Hard yards ahead
Or whether geelong will be able to fill their little boutique stadium once selwood and ablett are playing in wheelchairs and there getting belted by carlton after trading there draft picks away.

You dont have the ability to reach while drafting and pickup elite young talent like Scilily.

Or whether geelong will be able to fill their little boutique stadium once selwood and ablett are playing in wheelchairs and there getting belted by carlton after trading there draft picks away.

You dont have the ability to reach while drafting and pickup elite young talent like Scilily.
We'll be right

Your clubs concern is the reliance on the half hearted fans who wont tolerate non finals action

We'll be right

Your clubs concern is the reliance on the half hearted fans who wont tolerate non finals action
That’s why Hawthorn broke their membership record the season after they last missed finals(2017).

You paid money for Ty which is just as bad
There is a minimum spend on the salary cap, I'm less worried about the money he took than the list position.

And that is only because he turned out to be a poor choice. the idea was sound

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back