Can we afford all of De Goey, Grundy, and Moore

Remove this Banner Ad

There is not a single club in the land who if they had the choice between Judd back then or Grundy now would even think twice before saying Judd.
True, but without Grundy we wouldn't be in the top 8 and there's no doubt he'd similarly boost most other sides. Rather than a direct pissing match with Judd that was context of my original post; ie that Grundy is having a similar impact on our side that Judd did for the eagles and Buckley did for us. As such I'd want similar value. Doesn't mean it will happen (and it won't given his pending FA status), but Grundy is having rare achievements and impact for a ruckman.

True, but without Grundy we wouldn't be in the top 8 and there's no doubt he'd similarly boost most other sides. Rather than a direct pi**ing match with Judd that was context of my original post; ie that Grundy is having a similar impact on our side that Judd did for the eagles and Buckley did for us. As such I'd want similar value. Doesn't mean it will happen (and it won't given his pending FA status), but Grundy is having rare achievements and impact for a ruckman.

2 first round picks and a set of steak knives thrown in would be fine. Preferably Adelaide get one of the top 5 picks though to seal the deal along with their current pick.

This one is interesting- wonder why Pies haven’t played him in the VFL. Hide him away sounds like exactly what we need back?

Keysborough dasher Riet Pal turns heads at AFL Vic Young Guns game

A 20-year-old playing division two football in the Southern league has emerged as a draft bolter, stealing the spotlight in yesterday’s Young Guns game.

Keysborough’s Riet Pal is catching the eye of AFL recruiters.

Riet Pal plays for Keysborough, in Division 2 of the Southern league.

On Saturday he played for Vic Country in the third AFL Victoria Young Guns game at Werribee — and was best-afield as he advertised his ability to recruiters.

It was a jump in class for the tall 20-year-old but he handled it with aplomb, earning him lift-off from Country coach Tom Curran

“He was absolutely amazing. I was blown away by him, just with his ability in the contest to stay strong and keep his feet,’’ Curran said this afternoon.

“He looked like a seasoned veteran. Every time the ball went near him you could rely on him.

“He was half back and we slipped him up to a wing in the last quarter. He said he’d never played there much but he adapted, found the ball, kept his feet in the contest.

“Off half back he was an absolute lock, really composed under pressure. He was really impressive.’’

Pal played one season of junior football, at under-12s, and joined Keysborough in 2017.

Keysy ruckman and former Collingwood and Carlton player Chris Bryan recommended him to Collingwood, which placed him on its VFL development list this year.

Pal is yet to debut for the Pies.

“After the way he played, I can’t believe that, but it’s always tough when you’re on the VFL list of an AFL club,’’ Curran said.

“If he’s been playing footy only for three years he’s got a lot of potential.

“To me he was a cut above the rest and clearly our best player. All of us coaches were sitting in the box in awe of some of the stuff he was doing. We’ll be watching his name with interest.’’

Pal has regularly been among Keysborough’s best players this season.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

AFL.com.au

EXCLUSIVE:
THE WESTERN Bulldogs are eyeing a play to lure Darcy Moore out of Collingwood.

AFL.com.au understands the Dogs have expressed interest in the contracted Pie in what would shape as the ultimate key position pairing with prodigious youngster Aaron Naughton.

Moore joins Jordan De Goey, Brodie Grundy, Scott Pendlebury and Mason Cox as big-name Pies to fall out of contract next season as the Pies face a juggling act to keep their list together.

While there is no suggestion Moore is unhappy at the Holden Centre, the Dogs will enter this year's NAB AFL Trade Period with significant salary cap room.

As a player under contract, any move for Moore would need to weigh heavily in the Pies' favour at the trade table.

The sudden retirement of Tom Boyd, departure of Liam Picken and leftover money from the failed pursuit of Chad Wingard last season will see the Dogs armed with up to $1.5million of space.

While they have had to fork out for healthy extensions for Naughton, Tim English, Lachie Hunter, Caleb Daniel and Josh Dunkley this season, the Dogs are expected to be active come October.

Essendon small forward Anthony McDonald-Tipungwuti and Adelaide key defender Alex Keath have also received interest from the Dogs.

A move for Moore would give Luke Beveridge two star swingmen given the elevation of Naughton's move from defence to attack this season.

Beveridge, who this month recommitted until the end of 2023, has long shown a tendency to switch players in different positions on the ground.

The Dogs have long held interest in the son of dual Brownlow medallist Peter and bid pick five for his services in the 2014 NAB AFL Draft.

Moore was then taken with the Pies' first pick at No.9 under old father-son rules and has since played 68 matches across five seasons.

The 23-year-old spent much of last season weighing up interest from elsewhere before re-signing with the Pies until the end of 2020.

He remains out of the Collingwood side with another hamstring injury and is in a race to return before the home and away season.

https://t.co/Yx7eCG7Klw

There's no reason to trade Grundy ever, even for a rebuild, he's still young and a star ffs!

Moore on the other hand, is looming as the new Ben Reid. Trade him now whilst he still has currency. His hamstrings are cooked, those never seem to get better.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Recruiting based on sentiment can put the offending club back years. It's a massive issue.
It's not really a massive issue if I'm sentimental :D

the club will do what the club will do

There's no reason to trade Grundy ever, even for a rebuild, he's still young and a star ffs!

Moore on the other hand, is looming as the new Ben Reid. Trade him now whilst he still has currency. His hamstrings are cooked, those never seem to get better.

The only reason you would trade Grundy is if hes going to move through FA. Compensation for FA would be terrible and trading him before would net a much better result. Obviously I want him to stay, but this is the reality of it.

Clubs find a way to sign players who want to be at a club, I can't remember a team who lost players due to price when they actually wanted to keep them.

Clubs find a way to sign players who want to be at a club, I can't remember a team who lost players due to price when they actually wanted to keep them.

Did you read Scott Waters review of where the Saints were when he took over? That's why they had to get rid of McEvoy, Dal Santo and Goddard....they were $200,000 in the red.

I totally agree in relation to Moore. He will never play 18 to 22 games a year plus finals. He certainly does not have the durability of his old man. If we could get 2 1st round picks for him or Jackson McRae & a !st rounder, I would take such an offer in a heartbeat! No time to be sentimental as next year will be 10 years since a premiership. That is totally unacceptable for a club like Collingwood given its resources and its supporter base. We must no longer accept or tolerate mediocrity.

I cant see how there will.be a cap squeeze coming. Yes Grundy.and Degoey will get paid but who else is on big coin in 2 years? Pendles will be gone. Sidey and Adams will be mid range dollars. Treloar is costing himself money this year.

Moore needs 25 uninterrupted games to get any sort of pay day.

If Richmond can fit Rance, Cotchin, Reiwoldt, Lynch and Prestia in surely we cant be paying more for ours.

I cant see how there will.be a cap squeeze coming. Yes Grundy.and Degoey will get paid but who else is on big coin in 2 years? Pendles will be gone. Sidey and Adams will be mid range dollars. Treloar is costing himself money this year.

Moore needs 25 uninterrupted games to get any sort of pay day.

If Richmond can fit Rance, Cotchin, Reiwoldt, Lynch and Prestia in surely we cant be paying more for ours.
Plus Degoey is unlikely to be offered the enormous money that is spruiked.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back