Can we finish top 2?

Remove this Banner Ad

Nah we can. These 2 teams are rubbish. We've been saying all year "but we haven't played Essendon and Brisbane" we must smash them.

Yes, we must. However, he is right to a certain extent. There's no way the coach and players will be going for a 100-pt win right from the off. We have to put the game to bed first, and then turn up the wick in the second half.
What I'm worried about, as I've said above, is whether the coach/team will actually have the "percentage-mindset" at this early stage of proceedings, exactly when it is necessary. Historically, they don't seem to worry about percentage until it's too late in the season. The normal perspective of coach/teams is that winning is everything and the percentage can look after itself. In most cases that's fine, but not this year.

I'm pretty confident that we can win the next 5/5. Im hoping that by the time the Showdown comes around Port and truly done and dusted and have nothing left to play for. Confident should beat the Eagles at home. If we don't, that's a bad loss coming into the finals....

Round 21 and 22 loom large for us.

Hopefully Saints can knock off the Swans at Etihad. They have a tendency to play well vs the bigger teams. Then the Swans go to Bloodstone to face North, another key match up. Hoping North are good enough to get over the line there and put us into the top 4.

North vs GWS in round 23 will probably determine who we play round 1 of finals out of Hawks and Geelong....

Trouble is Port like us want to win the showdown and try that extra bit harder.They could be missing half their team and they'll still come out and hit us with everything they got. It's the way it is with showdowns and they'll try to create some damage. That's the way things roll between our clubs.
I do hope you're right.

Trouble is Port like us want to win the showdown and try that extra bit harder.They could be missing half their team and they'll still come out and hit us with everything they got. It's the way it is with showdowns and they'll try to create some damage. That's the way things roll between our clubs.
I do hope you're right.
The only damage they will be able to do is with a gut punch.

Sent from my HTC_0P6B6 using Tapatalk

I do hope you're right.

Yeah I know that showdowns are always a 50/50 prospect, but Port have had a real up and down season. Hyped up massively to begin with and still fell short. A lot of pointing the finger too with not a lot of results to back it up.

I'm just hoping that by round 22 they are so mentally jaded and we are pushing hard for that top 4 spot. If we lose that showdown then it's game over in terms of top 4 I think.

Nah we can. These 2 teams are rubbish. We've been saying all year "but we haven't played Essendon and Brisbane" we must smash them.
I am hoping for 100 but anything can happen . The opposition may play their best game of season, it may hail , wind, injuries . Over course of next 3 weeks let's hope we have 3 good wins and % improves . Maybe we get more % out of last 2 games than expected too

All the players can do is keep working on their game in lead up to finals and try and play style pykey wants and get themselves
into good form and wins/% will come

The trouble with needing a 100 point win is that it turns into demanding a 100-point win, and melts on this board when we don't get it.
As has been pointed out, Essendon have only lost by 100+ once (?) this year. And both teams - any team in their situation - are capable of turning a game into an arm wrestle so they don't get too badly smashed.

You can't go in to a game planning on a massive win. But we can hope.
If we miss a top 2 or 4 spot by a bee's dick of percentage then that will be very disappointing. And we would probably say "if only" about the North and Hawthorn games. But - if percentage is to decide our fate, then it is what it is. You can't end a season lamenting "if only" that we didn't smash a lowly team.

We will get what we deserve \Kern
(probably the only sensible thing he has said as a coach)

Which is a very long way of saying - please let's not melt if/when we don't put away Brisbane and Essendon by 130+ points.

I am the squiggle:D
5f034f8ddb3e7b88d6a9eb835f009378.jpg

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk

Actually I think it was about flights, and what the **** is wrong with anticipation? o_O Apart from the fact that flights are ******* expensive left to the last minute... what is wrong with getting excited about our prospects? Do you do anyone any harm by doing that? NO. Let people enjoy the moment. As we all know, they are few and far between.

Just try to understand what you're responding to for once.

I didnt raise a particular criticism of that in this thread, I merely pointed it out in response to a positive statement that Crows fans werent behaving like that.

Oh dear, how dare some supporters get excited about our 8 game winning streak, it was fun! played some great footy!.....If people want to go ahead and book them, let them be. It's their money to (potentially) waste or at least get a cheaper weekend in Melbourne if we don't make it....

... that's just super. I have a ball. Would you like to bounce it?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not really. You said it'd be a long year, referring to the fact that we'd probably miss finals. I was more bullish about our chances of having a semi decent year

The fact is, we've played some brilliant footy (which you can't deny) Sydney and WC games being the 2 that stand out. Will it be enough? Who knows.... but we're giving ourselves a chance at top 4, which in case means a shot at the flag

There's no way you thought we were a chance at that. Not many did. We've already exceeded our early season expectations and now it's time to re-evaluate and set new goals

Top 4 is the next goal. Anything less would be a failure from here. If that comes to fruition. We reassess again. It's not hard

I think the particular comment that you're obsessing over was in the aftermath of the round one loss. It wasnt unreasonable in that context. Very very disappointed with our rolling over in that game. Had the draw been as difficult as we thought pre- round one, we would have struggled imo.

Generally, in the pre-season I was of the view that we could finish in the bottom half of the 8 again. Wouldnt have gone higher than that, particuarly with what I thought was a more difficult draw than eventuated - in particular I had thought Richmond (last years finalists), Port (should have improved, and always lift against us) and Freo (didnt predict that drop off) would be more difficult games. Had those games been against finals contenders, instead of collapsing teams, there's every chance my prediction of a tough year / start to the year would have played out.

Could we exceed that expectation? Sure. Will we? yet to be determined. Less likely after this week than the week before it.

West Coast and Sydney definitely the stand out wins. I am concerned by the repeated failure against Geelong though. I do note that our close loss (and should have won) against Hawthorn, and the Sydney game both happened before the Geelong games. If those teams don't play us in the same way that Geelong has (and comprehensively out strategised us in doing so), I'd be very suprised.

Just try to understand what you're responding to for once.

I didnt raise a particular criticism of that in this thread, I merely pointed it out in response to a positive statement that Crows fans werent behaving like that.
I understood perfectly well, you responded to adelaidecrows, who said:

Screen Shot 2016-07-25 at 10.08.11 pm.png

You were having a go at the thread. Pure and simple.

I understood perfectly well, you responded to adelaidecrows, who said:

View attachment 269530

You were having a go at the thread. Pure and simple.

Ignore him, he's just playing "I'm a more hardcore supporter than anyone here" card. More hard-arse, more bad arse, more critical, therfore more legitimate supporter..... because in the end "he told you so" no matter what the outcome.

Ignore him, he's just playing "I'm a more hardcore supporter than anyone here" card. More hard-arse, more bad arse, more critical, therfore more legitimate supporter..... because in the end "he told you so" no matter what the outcome.

Easier to predict failure than success in this comp.....

Some top notch analysis right there. Must have really strained.

I'm not claiming to be right in any outcome, my predictions and my criticisms have a common theme- falling short in big games. If we succeed in big games it will be clear that my predictions are in error, and I'll be stoked.

Easier to predict failure than success in this comp.....

Not really.

It's easier to predict failure accurately, sure. It's not an easier task for fans of a club to predict their club's failure though. Most won't do it. This website is full of delusional fans who are consistently talking about how their club is building to a premiership. Not just adelaide fans, just across the site in general.

Very few of them ever actually want to engage in what's making their club fail consistently. Most of them just want to do the easy and sugar hit things. The 'oh our kids coming up are so talented' routine, without any consideration of whether other teams have young talent too. That sort of thing.'

Edit: of course, there's the worst kind. The kind that actually attributes moral superiority to their attempts to gloss. I probably don't really have to provide examples of those fans now, do I?

Last edited:
Do you even read the s**t you write? :rolleyes: You got caught out and now you go on this pompous know it all tangent. Give it a rest, nobody is falling for it.

The suggestion being that I would be unwilling to own a criticism that I've made of the club or our supporters on this board. Anyone with a skerrick of sense and a memory greater than a goldfish could dismiss that hypothesis, but not you.

I rebutted a claim of superiority over port fans, because it was wrong in fact. No more, no less. Unfortunately you very rarely understand what's happening and even more rarely offer a meaningful response to it.

I fear that it stems from your inability to handle even the most minor suggestion of a criticism, which leads to these over zealous eye rolling routines, even when they're entirely unnecessary.

Not really.

It's easier to predict failure accurately, sure. It's not an easier task for fans of a club to predict their club's failure though. Most won't do it. This website is full of delusional fans who are consistently talking about how their club is building to a premiership. Not just adelaide fans, just across the site in general.

Very few of them ever actually want to engage in what's making their club fail consistently. Most of them just want to do the easy and sugar hit things. The 'oh our kids coming up are so talented' routine, without any consideration of whether other teams have young talent too. That sort of thing.'
I don't mind this. Reasoned post. I agree many of us gloss over things that others obsess over , but I think its a matter of perspective at times. Ultimately not winning a flag is seen as failure by some , while others think finishing top 4 is good , top 6 is ok.

I think the nature of the competition means that the pessimistic will always have issue with how the club goes. Unless you are a Hawthorn supporter then there will always be 'something wrong'' with your club.

I agree many of us look at it in small blocks ie yearly instead of long term , and this pattern of inconsistency is lost. On a personal level I look back over 18 years and know we had our chances. I tend to look at it as ''luck of the draw'' rather than any systemic failure. It cant be a huge problem if we have made so many prelims. Not moving past the prelims and the why needs to be looked at more closely. Did we lose those prelims at the club and /or selection or were the other team better and why were they better?

Its not as easy as a throwaway line on the internet

The suggestion being that I would be unwilling to own a criticism that I've made of the club or our supporters on this board. Anyone with a skerrick of sense and a memory greater than a goldfish could dismiss that hypothesis, but not you.

I rebutted a claim of superiority over port fans, because it was wrong in fact. No more, no less. Unfortunately you very rarely understand what's happening and even more rarely offer a meaningful response to it.

I fear that it stems from your inability to handle even the most minor suggestion of a criticism, which leads to these over zealous eye rolling routines, even when they're entirely unnecessary.

I think you are taking some of the comments that include comparisons with Port supporters as a bit literal and way to seriously. Heard of joking around? banter? Take a chill pill.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back