Game Day Carlton v St Kilda Practice Match Gameday Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Best you adjust your original comment then, eh? You said " our stoppage set ups are terrible ". If they are so terrible, how is it that we're getting " the first effective disposal " more often than 13 other clubs (I note that we tied with WC for clearances last year)?
Cripps and Ed would be my guess.

Not because of effective setups.

We get the clearance despite our terrible setups, rather than because of them.

Where did I mention you, I said others
You asked if I had thrown enough toys , surely by that you were saying that I had called them cheats . All I did was say that they made a few shocking decisions . Why not say something to the people that actually did call them cheats ?

How would you know whether Barker can coach or not unless you are part of the inner sanctum?
Isn't it obvious that he is no good as a coach ? Anyway isn't this just an opinion board ? That's just my opinion sorry if you disagree but is it worth you carrying on about it ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Says anyone who wants to remove head high dangerous tackles and bumps from the game.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Go and watch touch footy if you dont like contact sport.

There will always be incidental high contact in a contact sport- most players are coached to duck and go head first into tackles to score a fee kick. I want 'dangerous hard tackles' as part of the game and I want to see legitimate bumps as part of the game - and more so I want to see Carlton get some nasty in their play - because for 20 years we have been every other Club's pounching bag and free hit.

You asked if I had thrown enough toys , surely by that you were saying that I had called them cheats . All I did was say that they made a few shocking decisions . Why not say something to the people that actually did call them cheats ?

You replied to my stand alone post, with a smartass comment then cry foul? Yet you still want to carry on.

Isn't it obvious that he is no good as a coach ? Anyway isn't this just an opinion board ? That's just my opinion sorry if you disagree but is it worth you carrying on about it ?

Again, how would you know, what evidence do you have to suggest any of our coaches are s**t or otherwise?

Back up your opinion

Yeah fair call, I'm just adding that I don't think that's on the cards, but improving his contested marking would be just as beneficial given his ability to make position despite his underwhelming pace.
His marking if fine. When the big bodies get back, he will get the third or fourth tall defender and he will show out.

Again, how would you know, what evidence do you have to suggest any of our coaches are sh*t or otherwise?

Back up your opinion
Like I said I thought this was an opinion board , that is my opinion and if you don't agree fair enough that's your opinion , I'm certainly not going to attack you over your opinion like you are doing to me over my opinion .

I wish the side showed half the mongrel in evidence on this board - we'd be premierships favourites.

My 2c on Barker ( fwiw)

I dont know him and wouldnt recognise him from a bar of soap.
I knwo his 'type' very well.

He is teh 'type' who spends a lot of time 'positioning' himself in organisations/clubs - always wearing the "I'm here to help" hat.
He is the type that wishes to inherit the earth - because meakness is his strength.
He is also teh type that would dissuade the Club from hiring any person(s) with genuine smarts/track record or real drive - accountability is something he redefines every month.
He is so convinced about this strategy and philosophy - that he has (just yesterday) gone on public record to say he has 'withdrawn from coaching for now and patience is important'...wytf was that interview about?

I think he has had enough time to demonstate leadership and ability at Carlton.
What his track record shows is that depsite a plethora of high pick talent - we are bog ordinary between the arcs. In fact we are so far behind Richmond levels of performance , skill, application and execution - that it is embarassing.

Barker been at the club for too long and isn't a great coach period .

I know that this board is a place to express opinions but these sorts of comments don't add anything. We all have opinions but please try and at least back them up with some facts.

I've followed Barker since his first game. I worked with his father (who was/is a mad * supporter), so like anyone would do, you follow that person a bit more than you would otherwise. Had a soft spot for him as it cannot have been easy starting at Fitzroy right at the end of their time.

I don't know Barker at all personally and I doubt that many on this board do. But I respect that Carlton have seen him as useful and effective. He would not still be in his role unless he had personal and football qualities that were valued.

Just because he has been an assistant coach for many years and in later years a midfield coach and we didn't win the centre clearances in a practice game don't go making unsubstantiated assertions regarding his coaching credentials. Any assistant coach working for a down the ladder team has a hard time proving that they are the bee's knees and the best in the business. If all goes well this year and our midfield get to work together in a successful team how many will say it was because of Barker. Not many. Reality is he is a small cog in a larger organisation and he just has to fulfill the requirements of the Head Coach. Let DT make the judgements as to his usefulness.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I know that this board is a place to express opinions but these sorts of comments don't add anything. We all have opinions but please try and at least back them up with some facts.

I've followed Barker since his first game. I worked with his father (who was/is a mad * supporter), so like anyone would do, you follow that person a bit more than you would otherwise. Had a soft spot for him as it cannot have been easy starting at Fitzroy right at the end of their time.

I don't know Barker at all personally and I doubt that many on this board do. But I respect that Carlton have seen him as useful and effective. He would not still be in his role unless he had personal and football qualities that were valued.

Just because he has been an assistant coach for many years and in later years a midfield coach and we didn't win the centre clearances in a practice game don't go making unsubstantiated assertions regarding his coaching credentials. Any assistant coach working for a down the ladder team has a hard time proving that they are the bee's knees and the best in the business. If all goes well this year and our midfield get to work together in a successful team how many will say it was because of Barker. Not many. Reality is he is a small cog in a larger organisation and he just has to fulfill the requirements of the Head Coach. Let DT make the judgements as to his usefulness.
He has been in the system for 15 years or more and in every year failed to improve or made his line worse during his time working on it. I think most of us would be happy to see him apply his talents elsewhere.

He has been in the system for 15 years or more and in every year failed to improve or made his line worse during his time working on it. I think most of us would be happy to see him apply his talents elsewhere.

Yet in the last 18 months we have improved as a team. What measures, KPI's are you using to determine the effectiveness of our assistants

:fish:

EvxWwUQVkAI7gxQ

I wish the side showed half the mongrel in evidence on this board - we'd be premierships favourites.

My 2c on Barker ( fwiw)

He is teh 'type' who spends a lot of time 'positioning' himself in organisations/clubs - always wearing the "I'm here to help" hat.
He is the type that wishes to inherit the earth - because meakness is his strength.
He is also teh type that would dissuade the Club from hiring any person(s) with genuine smarts/track record or real drive - accountability is something he redefines every month.
He is so convinced about this strategy and philosophy - that he has (just yesterday) gone on public record to say he has 'withdrawn from coaching for now and patience is important'...wytf was that interview about?

What his track record shows is that depsite a plethora of high pick talent - we are bog ordinary between the arcs. In fact we are so far behind Richmond levels of performance , skill, application and execution - that it is embarassing.

If you don't know him, how do you that he is that type of person?

My 2c on Barker ( fwiw)

Did you - at any time of writing this - stop to consider how ridiculous it may read that you're judging a person on their character despite knowing absolutely nothing about said person?

The pile on re: Barker has extended well beyond being cringeworthy, it is now simply pathetic.

Do we try McGovern as a defender once Curnow comes back to see if we can add even more pace to our backline? They are happening less but out the back goals will hurt us still a bit this year and I reckon having a go with gov at back, especially with sos doing well, would be a good pathway to try
No, he can't. We have to accept that Doc, along with Plow and Jones and to a lesser extent Weiters and SPS regularly fluff their kicks and concede goals as a result. My view is changing, and I think it's too costly having so many players back there with inconsistent or unreliable kicks. I reckon we either need positional changes, game plan changes or one of them has to go in an attempt to find a better solution. Same applies to other areas of the ground.
Weiters is an excellent field kick, bit tough on SPS, but agree on the others

Remove this Banner Ad

Back