Game Day Carlton v St Kilda Practice Match Gameday Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

You wonder why Cripps has a quiet night..

Starts the stoppage being held, doesn't take possession but tackled on the way through.

View attachment 1070987

Still without possession, opponent focused only on grabbing his arm to impede run at it.

View attachment 1070991

In anticipation of Cripps taking possession, opponent grabs and starts the tackle prior to him doing so.

View attachment 1070994

After finally taking possession, opponent pins him in a headlock, while another runs in to pin his arm for good measure.

View attachment 1070996

Umpire calls ball up, better luck next time.
I was yelling at screen......dosn't he have a GREGORY PECK !!!!

In all seriousness D.T. has to highlight this like Clarkson would.
We gotta get him some help.

Great footage Brackets

Having just watched the game i was really impressed with the performances of Fisher, Dow, Jsos, saad, zac (although not impressed by the opening incident), fogarty, jones and pittonett.

Overall i thought we did ok. Saints were very good but we kept in touch most of the way and considering we were missing levi and mcgov. We still don't look as smooth and synergistic as the better sides when moving the ball forward although at times it looked good. Few times we got a chain of several handballs but just couldn't capitalise. I think we will improve in this area as the season progresses.

And Harry and Weiters for most of the game too?

You wonder why Cripps has a quiet night..

Starts the stoppage being held, doesn't take possession but tackled on the way through.

View attachment 1070987

Still without possession, opponent focused only on grabbing his arm to impede run at it.

View attachment 1070991

In anticipation of Cripps taking possession, opponent grabs and starts the tackle prior to him doing so.

View attachment 1070994

After finally taking possession, opponent pins him in a headlock, while another runs in to pin his arm for good measure.

View attachment 1070996

Umpire calls ball up, better luck next time.

clearly holding the ball, should have been a saints free kick.

And Harry and Weiters for most of the game too?
It was a usual good performance by weiters.

Harry competed all night but I would like to see him run out on leads more often. He is not an overly strong mark overhead yet so the better defenders spoil and bump his body out of contest most of the time. If he runs out and has his hands extended out front he will mark more and have more scoring shots. This applies to our other forwards as well and I don’t know why we don’t do this as much as we should.

I thought LOB looked good in limited time. May give Newnes a run for that wing spot.
I agree. I've already brought Dow and Fog into my best 22, so there's probably only one spot left on the bench right now. I'd think LOB is fighting it out between Cunners, Gibbons and Newnes. Betts sadly I think misses out, although I do believe he has good footy left in him.

Some glaring errors from Doc but still lead our disposals with 27 at 70% efficiency. He was visible bad at times, whereas Martin was invisible bad. Let's not be over the top though when Callum Moore had 4 disposals.
Yes Doc had some stinkers, but I actually didn't think he was too bad.

But let's also not compare our skipper and former AA to a guy that's been delisted from two different clubs.

Well said. I do not mind Setters on one wing if the other is O'Brien, Walsh, Fisher, Honey or Philp but the sooner we move beyond Ed and Newnes and only have them as emergencies the closer we get to being a truly classy team.
Ed???
Ed plays in the midfield doesn't he?
You are equating Ed with Newnes?
Ed Curnow? You want him out of the team?

Each to their own. If we are focused just on the younger kids I liked more of what I saw from LOB. I say younger because there comes a point where we have to expect more than just a few nice handballs. To progress we need the likes of Dow, LOB, cunners etc to stop being bit players....need to project more like setters
Dow definitely stepping up this year, LOB probably will and is trying hard, but Cunningham I don't think ever will.
I wasn't impressed at all with what he showed this game, or hardly any for that matter. He is completely lost in the middle. Needs to focus as a small forward and pinch hit mid rotation like Fish and then he will be brought into the game

I’ve only seen a bit of the third quarter and some of the last on replay and already he’s not rewarded three run down holding the ball tackles and immediately pinged one against us.

Screen-Shot-2016-11-29-at-12.02.01-pm.png

Umpires get me riled up for sure.
It would take a lot though to think they actually cost us the game.
Not saying it has never happened to a team, but on the whole, you find a way to win, even with some shocking decisions.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just my thoughts on the game ..

Kicked 99 points with basically none of our main targets in the FWD 50, that is huge. If you had of told me before the game we'd have a forward line of Silvagni, O. McDonald, Murphy I would have said we'd struggle to kick 50 points.

Thought the Dow looked fantastic, had moments where he did amazing things. Few times he shot out a handball that just opened the play up.

Thought that Fog was great, in the past few years i've seen far too many times opposition players waltz out of our forward line and break tackles.. but this guy CAN TACKLE. Hope he gets a regular game this year.

Disappointed in Doc's game as I can see a few are, his disposal at times was terrible. But he can clean that up.

Overall a pretty decent hitout against a team who is supposed to be top 4 bound. Also I felt we looked much fitter, in the 3rd they seemed to drop off, which allowed us to get back into the game.

I was reading the game day thread as the game played out on Thursday and only watched the replay last night for the first time.
I was expecting, from what I read on here; really bad games from Doc and Walsh, I actually think they played pretty well. Couple of mistakes here and there but overall attacked the ball well. Quiet game from a couple of players, but doesn’t that happen ever game? I think it is a lot less emotional for you watching a game knowing the result, my take away from that game. Team overall has taken another step in the right direction and played very well considering the players that were missing or injured.
Really hope we can make the 8 this year.
Oh and thanks for everyone who was commenting on here Thursday, there was some great observation made.

picsart_03-05-09-14-07-jpg.1070996

Juddy copped 4 weeks for that 'chicken wing' tackle on Adams.

This one ...... play on!

imagine that five to six times a game x twenty games a season, and people wonder why he needed shoulder surgery....

If not, we know we are stagnating this season.
Lots of nice hay in earlier morning games for Mr Ed to feast on as more talented guys blossom in the seniors this season.
You know it makes sense...
Who comes in to play his role ? Keeps the opposition best mid to a dozen touches ,racks up 20 + and more often than not bobs up for a snag or 2 for himself .
We'll have to wait and see.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back