Game Day Carlton v St Kilda Practice Match Gameday Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

A slow player who consistently makes front position is more valuable than a quick player constantly getting caught behind.

Would he be better if he was faster? Sure. But he's not going to get faster. He could and should be looking to improve his hands in the contest though, and doing so would elevate his game substantially.
Mate I rate JSOS. All I’m saying is if he was a bit more athletic he’d be a superstar

Is it just me who thinks the Williams “hit” would be incredibly stiff to cop a suspension?

I thought generally players were let off if the opponent gets up and plays out the game so long as there wasn’t malicious intent. Clark played on in a meaningless practice match where every player was wrapped in cotton wool if any sign of danger.

It'll come down to whether the AFL want to assess it by the book, or if they want to upgrade it to make a statement.

Could easily go either way.

It'll come down to whether the AFL want to assess it by the book, or if they want to upgrade it to make a statement.

Could easily go either way.
He underwent a concussion test supposedly after the game so looks like 1week--especially with all the media -- hopefully it cost a player a grand final -- cotchin hit on shiels worse than that lol

I think we need a good minute here to contemplate the not oft seen, but lovely word - 'oft'.

Fair point, but would have rolled with 'the oft unused...'

Bit cleaner, innit.

He underwent a concussion test supposedly after the game so looks like 1week--especially with all the media -- hopefully it cost a player a grand final -- cotchin hit on shiels worse than that lol
I don’t understand how undergoing a concussion test (which he passed) after playing a full meaningless practice match should mean Williams misses 1 week.

I know Jon Ralph tweeted that but he is a known Carlton hater and coincidentally a fan of the team we play in round 1.

I don’t understand how undergoing a concussion test (which he passed) after playing a full meaningless practice match should mean Williams misses 1 week.

I know Jon Ralph tweeted that but he is a known Carlton hater and coincidentally a fan of the team we play in round 1.

the media machine is in overdrive on this one - will miss a week easily if not more.

let’s be honest dumb thing to do... ran past the ball and intentionally clipped him ... another few cms the other way and he breaks his jaw. With all of the concussion issues and the future legalities the league faces around it he’s missing a week let’s not kid ourselves

Yeah, it may be a convenient consideration for them if they decide to make an example of him. But logically, if the player wasn't assessed at the time but then gets tested later and passes, it shouldn't have any bearing on the grading. There were no immediate impacts that warranted a test mid game, and then a (presumably precautionary) test later confirmed that.

Yeah fair call, I'm just adding that I don't think that's on the cards, but improving his contested marking would be just as beneficial given his ability to make position despite his underwhelming pace.
His kicking looks to have improved that’s a massive bonus
You would expect more even contests with Casboult,McKay playing
But just has to kick goals with those chances
So far so good it was a glaring weakness
Third tall should be fast smart and skilful
He will never be fast always smart but if he keeps improving his kicking he could hold his spot

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Is it just me who thinks the Williams “hit” would be incredibly stiff to cop a suspension?

I thought generally players were let off if the opponent gets up and plays out the game so long as there wasn’t malicious intent. Clark played on in a meaningless practice match where every player was wrapped in cotton wool if any sign of danger.
Tipping if it happened to one of our blokes you'd think different.

the media machine is in overdrive on this one - will miss a week easily if not more.

let’s be honest dumb thing to do... ran past the ball and intentionally clipped him ... another few cms the other way and he breaks his jaw. With all of the concussion issues and the future legalities the league faces around it he’s missing a week let’s not kid ourselves
No doubt a dumb thing to do. I’m just going by precedent which has been set over the past few years where if the opponent plays out the game, they generally get off.
Tipping if it happened to one of our blokes you'd think different.
Maybe my navy blue glasses are in full effect, it’s gonna be a massive buzzkill if our star recruit misses this game which is already massive task. Hard to stomach getting reported in a scratch match.

There's not a chance he gets away with a fine, media coverage or not. Maybe he was still super-psyched from the pre-game rev up but geez, crazy dumb really.

Yep, Williams won’t be playing Round 1 (and hopefully that’s the extent of it). It’s OK he can give the Scum Preliminary Final nightmares in his debut.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Can't believe people are blaming an umpire for a loss in a preseason game

They're practicing...warming up for the autopsy threads to come.

I thought last night was a "free lesson" of sorts.

We can't run Setters, Newnes and Ed on the wings.

Hill and Gresham and co. comfortably beat us. Not just the running capacity but the speed. We need Fisher, Cunningham and O'Brien on the wings.

Saad and Williams aren't solving all our lack of pace issues overnight.

Fish in particular is waaaaaaaaay too good of a midfielder to be left in the forward pocket. Just about our most damaging player with ball in hand. He completely wrong-foots the opposition almost every time he get a bit of space. You can see how much he unsettles the opposition and that's when the opportunities open up.

On another point Dow was doing a pretty serviceable impression of Diesel with those handballs. All class.

I thought last night was a "free lesson" of sorts.

We can't run Setters, Newnes and Ed on the wings.

Hill and Gresham and co. comfortably beat us. Not just the running capacity but the speed. We need Fisher, Cunningham and O'Brien on the wings.
Well said. I do not mind Setters on one wing if the other is O'Brien, Walsh, Fisher, Honey or Philp but the sooner we move beyond Ed and Newnes and only have them as emergencies the closer we get to being a truly classy team.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back