List Mgmt. Carlton's 2018 Draft Thread (cont. in Part 2)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't ask me, ask the people that think we will get a PP. I was just responding to the scenarios being thrown around
I don’t see us getting 19 unless maybe Murphy leaves. Maybe the afl finally repay the favour like they did to melb (losing Frawley) and give us pick 2 if murpay decides to go.

Only way we get 19 is with a PP.

A PP is going to be hard given the depth of young talent we have on the books.

I know the AFL gave that #19 to Brisbane a couple of years back, but we're not Brisbane.

Reckon a lot more would need to go wrong for us to force their hand. MLG and a horses head maybe? :)

How much was that priority pick ultimately linked to the 5 players who absconded? Docherty, Yeo etc.

Don't think we are a chance in hell.

We are just injured and derailed.

A PP is going to be hard given the depth of young talent we have on the books.

I know the AFL gave that #19 to Brisbane a couple of years back, but we're not Brisbane.

Reckon a lot more would need to go wrong for us to force their hand. MLG and a horses head maybe? :)

Our depth of young talent shouldn't really matter...the fact that we've had 4 s**t years in a row is what counts. Probably still be pretty poor W/L next year too.

They gave Brisbane a priority pick despite them having young talent so why not us?

A couple of early predictions IMO:

1. We will not see Lukosius or a King brother at Carlton.

2) Lukosius will be drafted by Adelaide FC. They will use whatever they need to to get him.

3) Bailey Smith will be drafted by us.

*counts predictions*

I'd be interested to see 'couples night' at the Wallet household.....

Our depth of young talent shouldn't really matter...the fact that we've had 4 s**t years in a row is what counts. Probably still be pretty poor W/L next year too.

They gave Brisbane a priority pick despite them having young talent so why not us?

Ummmm......it's in my post. We're not Brisbane. :)

It's possible but I for one don't care and wouldn't be relying on it, to change our fortunes.
Even pre-empting one now, can only bring about anger and disappointment.

We simply need to get our players fit and capable of staying on the park for longer than they're collectively able to.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ummmm......it's in my post. We're not Brisbane. :)

It's possible but I for one don't care and wouldn't be relying on it, to change our fortunes.
Even pre-empting one now, can only bring about anger and disappointment.

We simply need to get our players fit and capable of staying on the park for longer than they're collectively able to.

If we win less than 4 games which is probable the AFL will have to seriously consider giving us a little help it's obvious. Our Club's performances from 2015 which ended with a wooden spoon have been dismal.

They just grossly overpaid for a 29yo home grown kid... ;)

Don't think that at all. We can reassure ourselves all we want, the compensation was just fair and adequate for Gibbs, a champion of our game. Let's see how he excells during finals time .
Happy with Dow and OBrien solid quality players in the long run. Gibbs is special and at the Crows did the right thing to trade two 1st rounders.

Don't think that at all. We can reassure ourselves all we want, the compensation was just fair and adequate for Gibbs, a champion of our game. Let's see how he excells during finals time .
Happy with Dow and OBrien solid quality players in the long run. Gibbs is special and at the Crows did the right thing to trade two 1st rounders.

I think they overpaid based on shelf life. They are in their window so have gone for it and paid for it.

People often forget about shelf life. Gibbs will be long gone soon. And even if he does play on 3 more, some of those years wont be at an elite level and might even be injured as age plays a part.

I'd agree we gave up an elite player. I'd also say he has only been elite from around 25+. Conditional player before that.

Fair enough Adelaide have gone for a flag, but they overpaid IMO.

I think they overpaid based on shelf life. They are in their window so have gone for it and paid for it.

People often forget about shelf life. Gibbs will be long gone soon. And even if he does play on 3 more, some of those years wont be at an elite level and might even be injured as age plays a part.

I'd agree we gave up an elite player. I'd also say he has only been elite from around 25+. Conditional player before that.

Fair enough Adelaide have gone for a flag, but they overpaid IMO.

I agree

I also believe that if you have an older player of value, while not being a contender for the 8, you cash in, rather than hanging on and seeing that asset deteriorate

Brutal, but that's why strong sides have sustained success

Last edited:
I think I can see De Koning's development being into something like how Lobb's playing since Mumford has been gone at GWS. Good but not a freakish athlete for a big guy, can mark.

The sheer thought of having Lukosius and Charlie Curnow together is something we must do given the chance. I'll be the first to admit the draft can be a crap-shoot at the best of times but in the times I've followed the draft since the Kreuzer-Cotchin one and the only player I've felt was as sure as a thing as him was Jaegar O'Meara.

Also with J.Silvagni's development I've seen they're trying him in the middle at VFL level? Quite like this move, at 191cm he doesn't have to be quick, we know he is relatively skillful so if he can develop a tank and contested ball winning traits may as well try it out.
Good that Jack is trying to develop through the midfield but long term not sure how this is going to work in the seniors .
With Cripps a slower Kennedy and Silvagni ?
Guess i'll get my wish of seeing Cripps play forward more .

I'm not suggesting they should be altar boys, but just the types that work with the whole.
No issue with player character types such as CCurnow, McKay, TDK etc. Cuningham though seems to be the square peg here to me, in the way Lucas, Boekhorst, Bootsma were.

A good club can draft a moron?: Hawthorn/Garlett? There are morons and then there are morons.

Anyway, the main point was that we can't, nor won't, simply draft mids for mids sake. You just can't, even taking away the fact that we need player-types elsewhere. Don't think it works that way.
Why not ?
In 2015 we had a clear plan to draft in talls with
* Weitering
*Curnow
*Mckay
*Silvagni
Cuningham with * Glass Mccasker also on the rookie list
5 talls .
Its a strong draft why would we not make the most of this perceived strong draft to bolster a glaring weakness our midfield but not just midfield but general running players forward and back non talls .
If we dont bring in a FA mid or trade for a quality mid and go to the draft with picks 1 + roughly 22 pick up Lukosius with our first and BSOS with a later pick .
Then imo thats a disaster for our side .
If we do grab a FA mid unlikely but that could change the landscape slightly .
Theres been plenty of talk about the talls that will be going off the list over the next couple of years how about the smalls midfielders running types ?
We have Murphy seemingly getting closer to the end with every injury Ed probably not far after that .
Not only those 2 a bit down the track but we are also going to be replacing Simpson Thomas possibly at the end of this year and maybe Wright at the end of next . Thats not taking into account who may be delisted Kerridge Graham Lebois Lamb Mullett ?
These are list spots that have to be filled or we are stuck with players we would rather not have on the list .
I suspect Lebois and Mullett may survive .
Yes all the young smalls youve mentioned look great but will they all make it will one get a tempting offer from somewhere else .
Will one have a major injury that curtails his development and career .
Cuningham has the talent but does he have the desire . Point is they may not all make it leaving us with our arses hanging out once again if there isnt a concerted effort this off season to do something about it .

gibbs was aside from simpson our most resilient player, and is super flexible . I can see the crows squeezing another 5 years out of him just like they have Betts. Waite was never expected to play as long as he has either.

I agree Gibbs is a very durable athlete, 3 to 4 years will be top notch, he'll slow down final year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back