List Mgmt. Carlton's 2018 Draft Thread (cont. in Part 2)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not suggesting they should be altar boys, but just the types that work with the whole.
No issue with player character types such as CCurnow, McKay, TDK etc. Cuningham though seems to be the square peg here to me, in the way Lucas, Boekhorst, Bootsma were.

A good club can draft a moron?: Hawthorn/Garlett? There are morons and then there are morons.

Anyway, the main point was that we can't, nor won't, simply draft mids for mids sake. You just can't, even taking away the fact that we need player-types elsewhere. Don't think it works that way.
I never said all picks
I said first picks 3

There are just some players that have the x factor. Such players fill more than just one role in their team. For example Danger, dusty , fyfe all great onballers and forwards. Nick Riewoldt was a key forward , but also added to their midfield run. Rance is mr everywhere.
Then there are the very good players that are great accumulators of the ball and perform a more one dimensional role. Most clubs have at least a few. GWS has a plethora of them. We need some more. BUT the reality is that such players can be found sprinkled through the draft. It is not absolutely necessary to use a #1 pick on an accumulator- they can be found anywhere, even in the second round.

Picking Lukosius at #1 seems like the smarter thing to do. He can kick goals, is a great set shot/converter, he has elite running so can add to the midfield run like Riewaldt, he has elite field kicking, so he can bring others into the game. He is a great package, and is a stand out , x factor player.

By taking Lukosius at # 1 we ARE ignoring our most pressing need-midfielders, and there are some quality mids to choose from, some even with x factor eg Rankine, so the waters are slightly muddied this year, potentially there are a dozen players that would have gone #1 in 2017.

I am hopeful that sos has a multi pronged plan. Utilising our salary cap to entice a mature mid, as well as looking at the 2nd round to unearth another zac fisher.

A couple of early predictions IMO:

1. We will not see Lukosius or a King brother at Carlton.

2) Lukosius will be drafted by Adelaide FC. They will use whatever they need to to get him.

3) Bailey Smith will be drafted by us.
So if we finish last your thinking we'll trade the No 1 pick?

2) Lukosius will be drafted by Adelaide FC. They will use whatever they need to to get him.

Bold early calls Terry, I like it.

For me, it will be clearer after the trade period, but if we finish last and Lukosius continues to improve over the course of the year.......

Will all know SOS loves a KPP

For me, it will be clearer after the trade period, but if we finish last and Lukosius continues to improve over the course of the year.......

Couldn't we trade the No 1 pick for two first rounders with one being in the top five and then if Rankine is still there go to the other Adelaide team and ask them what have they got?

We will get a huge bounty off Adelaide for Pick 1 in that case. Adelaide are probably the best planners and developers in the comp. I believe with Tex and Jerker(and Eddie) reaching the end, they have planned their future around hometown(no go home factor) boys Fogarty and Lukosius.

They have accrued a bounty of Picks already for this year plus they may add another one for Sloane(although i doubt he leaves). I believe they'll pay what they have to to get Lukosius.

We are in a position( having Charlie, Harry, TDK and Kerr on the books) to accept a huge bounty for Lukosius. Live trading on draft night will give SOS and his team the ability to mould that bounty into what we need.

Have a strong gut feeling that Bailey Smith will be our main target in Nov.

Couldn't we trade the No 1 pick for two first rounders with one being in the top five and then if Rankine is still there go to the other Adelaide team and ask them what have they got?

As you know, many ways to formulate a deal. Way to early to contemplate scenarios, until the season finishes, then it would start in earnest

We will get a huge bounty off Adelaide for Pick 1 in that case. Adelaide are probably the best planners and developers in the comp. I believe with Tex and Jerker(and Eddie) reaching the end, they have planned their future around hometown(no go home factor) boys Fogarty and Lukosius.

They have accrued a bounty of Picks already for this year plus they may add another one for Sloane(although i doubt he leaves). I believe they'll pay what they have to to get Lukosius.

We are in a position( having Charlie, Harry, TDK and Kerr on the books) to accept a huge bounty for Lukosius. Live trading on draft night will give SOS and his team the ability to mould that bounty into what we need.

Have a strong gut feeling that Bailey Smith will be our main target in Nov.

I like Smith and given he trained with us I believe, it would make sense

As much as I think Lukosius is a clear number one at this stage and one of the best KPP's I have seen at junior ranks, I would trade pick 1 & 19 for pick 4 & 5

As for Adelaide, I think they are way too smart to over pay for home grown kids. If they are stupid enough to over pay, happy to deal with them

Posted a while back I was driving the Bailey Smith bandwagon (with little appreciation bar
the same bloke responding positively to your post) Welcome aboard.

As much as I think Lukosius is a clear number one at this stage and one of the best KPP's I have seen at junior ranks, I would trade pick 1 & 19 for pick 4 & 5

As for Adelaide, I think they are way too smart to over pay for home grown kids. If they are stupid enough to over pay, happy to deal with them
Adelaide is in an enviable position of having a myriad of talent, both mature and developing. They do not
need to add multiple players to enhance their list, just the right player(s). If there is a candidate to overpay
in a trade for pick 1, they would be it. More focussed on hitting the target than accumulating numbers.

Great at developing players too. The Doedee story and the transformation of Seedsman are classic examples,
like Tom Lynch and Jenkins earlier. (I refuse to add our traded to this equation).

I don't mean they'll offer a way over the top BigFooty type deal, i just mean that they will offer what they(professionally) have to. IMO, Them and us are in the position to help each other get what each need and want most.

All hypothetical though of course. Who knows, we might win 4 or 5 games from here on and end up with Pick 4. Just think that whatever the scenario, neither Lukosius nor the King's will be coming to us.

Just thought i'd whack down my gut feel thoughts.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't mean they'll offer a way over the top BigFooty type deal, i just mean that they will offer what they(professionally) have to. IMO, Them and us are in the position to help each other get what each need and want most.

All hypothetical though of course. Who knows, we might win 4 or 5 games from here on and end up with Pick 4. Just think that whatever the scenario, neither Lukosius nor the King's will be coming to us.

Just thought i'd whack down my gut feel thoughts.

I tend to agree with you to be honest. I don't what the reason is, but I just cant get myself excited about any of them joining.

I tend to agree with you to be honest. I don't what the reason is, but I just cant get myself excited about any of them joining.
All of us would be "excited" about Lukosius joining to be fair.

Simple facts are we have a very talented group of talls developing nicely (contrary to some opinions on here). We
should have a realistic assessment of their relative viability by season's end. We have one chance to nail the rebuild.
This era of Free Agency and expansion teams has consigned a number of clubs to the basement for too long.

I feel we may have deviated from the original rebuild blueprint due to not being able to attract free agents. If
the trend continues, we will be "walking" our way through the rebuild via the draft. Internally elements of
management may secretly "rejoice" at our dismal injury and win/loss situations. There are only a couple of
ways to secure top end talent. One has been closed to us to date. No pain, no gain.

Edit: If I failed to articulate, midfielders are the main piece of the puzzle currently required.

I never said all picks
I said first picks 3

First three picks just about amount to all our picks.

Our first, Geelongs second, Dogs second...we don't have a third....and then Geelongs fourth (That could be a #70 odd)

That may all change but that is what we have right now.

Our first, Geelongs second, Dogs second...we don't have a third....and then Geelongs fourth (That could be a #70 odd)

Fair call
We all will wait and see what sos and bolts think. Go blues :)

Does anybody know, who was touted as the number 1 pick at this time of year in the past 5-10 drafts? It would be interesting to see.
I'll get the ball rolling. Keep in mind these weren't necessarily my thoughts, just what I can find or recall:

2017: Davies-Uniacke
2016: Brodie
2015: Weitering
2014: Petracca?

I'm pretty fuzzy after that.

You'll probably get better search results on the D&T board here than you will via Google.

Not sure why people want Curnow in the middle. He is a match winner up forward and gets around the ground plenty anyway.
I don't think he needs to go there permanently, but he has shown briefly he can play there. Its something we need to keep in the back of our minds.

How are we getting 19?

We have Adelaide’s 2nd I recall not geelongs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back