List Mgmt. Carlton's 2018 Draft Thread (cont. in Part 2)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

These days with all the free forwards get
It ain’t the hardest anymore
More like chb or fb
Lukokis can play CHB as well he's a natural at both ends but I prefer him as a forward as we have so many KPDs. I know we need mids as well and we have 2x2nd rounders and maybe a pp which I think SOS will go hard at mids with these picks.

Lukokis can play CHB as well he's a natural at both ends but I prefer him as a forward as we have so many KPDs. I know we need mids as well and we have 2x2nd rounders and maybe a pp which I think SOS will go hard at mids with these picks.
I want a blue chip mid/s not a good to solid mid.
I will be extremely pissed if we don’t go mids on first 3 selections

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I absolutely think we need to put pick 1 on the table. I just cant get excited about this Lukosius guy, and an absolute need to draft him because he is supposedly the best KPF draft prospect ever. I f we end up with pick 1 other clubs will be throwing offers at us left right and centre for it, for him. Specifically the GCS, who will absolutely need this guy after losing Lynch. I absolutely think we can garner their own pick and what I assume will be their very good compensation pick for losing Lynch. I'm thinking picks 4 and 5, or 5 and 6. I cant see why anyone wouldn't jump at something like that.

I think gold coast would rather a crack at a King to replace Lynch, than sell their soul for Lukosius.

Lets say Luko ends up being every bit as good as a Nick Riewoldt...

I still don't think Riewoldts career is anywhere near as good if he wasn't being fed by...
Hayes, Dal Santo, Goddard, Jones, Gram, Ball

We need mids... we have invested in height.. we need to get the engine room going

I beg to differ. Look at the saints this year without him.

I wonder if the Crows will try to trade up for Rankine or Luko?
Part of me thinks Port will have the opportunity to trade up for one of them. Could be interesting to see what gets dangled for Wines. Say for instance Essendon offer up pick 5 or 6 for Wines (who knows what goes through Dodoro's head) Port might see the opportunity to take that pick then try another little pick upgrade. Elite South Australian talent like this doesn't come around all too often. Who knows, teams get funny around the trade/ draft period.

I want a blue chip mid/s not a good to solid mid.
I will be extremely pissed if we don’t go mids on first 3 selections

Of course we need mids but to take mids for mids sake, doesn't make for the right formula either.

2018: 1 FA mid and one quality one at the draft.
2019: 1 FA mid and another quality one at the draft.

Even then they have to be the right types by way of body, character, types etc. Can't just load up on mids because they happen to play midfield.

Just as important is to develop the guys we have, properly.
Dow and SPS must be developed into starting midfielders, with Fisher not far behind. We can only have one 'Fisher-type'
We must get Kennedy's body right and have him learn to play in tandem with Cripps. That will take time.

To simply take three mids in this draft won't make us better from the get go. Why will they immediately be better than the aforementioned?
We'll only be here next year saying the same things we're saying right now.

We need mids, but have to be careful not to panic and simply double and triple up on similar types that we'd simply be playing musical chairs with.

These are pretty much my thoughts on the matter, but I'd be surprised if we went after Liam, simply because he's too slow for a small mid in the AFL.

We had the chance to draft Liam for free last year (rookie) and passed. Don't see why people are thinking we might draft him this year. An immense tackling machine, though.

Will, by all accounts is faster, gets more of the ball and kicks more goals. Is talented, but not a top-shelf prospect. Would not cost much if deemed draftworthy.

Of course we need mids but to take mids for mids sake, doesn't make for the right formula either.

2018: 1 FA mid and one quality one at the draft.
2019: 1 FA mid and another quality one at the draft.

Even then they have to be the right types by way of body, character, types etc. Can't just load up on mids because they happen to play midfield.

Just as important is to develop the guys we have, properly.
Dow and SPS must be developed into starting midfielders, with Fisher not far behind. We can only have one 'Fisher-type'
We must get Kennedy's body right and have him learn to play in tandem with Cripps. That will take time.

To simply take three mids in this draft won't make us better from the get go. Why will they immediately be better than the aforementioned?
We'll only be here next year saying the same things we're saying right now.

We need mids, but have to be careful not to panic and simply double and triple up on similar types that we'd simply be playing musical chairs with.
I agree to an extent. But all this they must be all good boys and no dickheads I don’t really buy. Take dusty for example, was a bad example 4 years ago, all clubs didn’t really want to know him after being out on table. He obviously has had some coaching and now is a great player.

A good club can draft a moron and turn them around, that’s what I’m talking about.
FA- who the hell will want to come to Carlton unless offered big bucks? That will easily unsettle the boat and will be in my eyes a catalyst for players wanting out for a better pay. Cripps comes to mind if he’s only on 500-600k
I agree getting some older players to help with the load, but last year’s crop hasn’t really worked well.

Not sure why people want Curnow in the middle. He is a match winner up forward and gets around the ground plenty anyway.

Bit early to be so black and white.

Did you see the game last year when he was onball and was dropping back to defend and taking important marks at CHB then went in the guts and got clearances?

He has a lot of development in him yet. We've only seen a fraction of what he could end up being.

Way to early to decide.

I agree to an extent. But all this they must be all good boys and no dickheads I don’t really buy. Take dusty for example, was a bad example 4 years ago, all clubs didn’t really want to know him after being out on table. He obviously has had some coaching and now is a great player.

A good club can draft a moron and turn them around, that’s what I’m talking about.
FA- who the hell will want to come to Carlton unless offered big bucks? That will easily unsettle the boat and will be in my eyes a catalyst for players wanting out for a better pay. Cripps comes to mind if he’s only on 500-600k
I agree getting some older players to help with the load, but last year’s crop hasn’t really worked well.

I'm not suggesting they should be altar boys, but just the types that work with the whole.
No issue with player character types such as CCurnow, McKay, TDK etc. Cuningham though seems to be the square peg here to me, in the way Lucas, Boekhorst, Bootsma were.

A good club can draft a moron?: Hawthorn/Garlett? There are morons and then there are morons.

Anyway, the main point was that we can't, nor won't, simply draft mids for mids sake. You just can't, even taking away the fact that we need player-types elsewhere. Don't think it works that way.

I'm not suggesting they should be altar boys, but just the types that work with the whole.
No issue with player character types such as CCurnow, McKay, TDK etc. Cuningham though seems to be the square peg here to me, in the way Lucas, Boekhorst, Bootsma were.

A good club can draft a moron?: Hawthorn/Garlett? There are morons and then there are morons.

Anyway, the main point was that we can't, nor won't, simply draft mids for mids sake. You just can't, even taking away the fact that we need player-types elsewhere. Don't think it works that way.
Yeah, it's not like we've got a poor midfield bookended with top 4 forward and backlines. We still need talent across the park. Perhaps less need for tall defenders but we could definitely use a small lockdown defender, small pressure forward, key forward, and mids of all varieties (wishlist: a bigger bodied fast inside-outside mid who can work at the coalface then spread).

There's definitely a pattern when you look at our drafting, trading and FA acquisitions over the last 3 years and I think it'll more or less continue.

2015:
  • Draft: Weitering, McKay, Curnow, Cuningham, Silvagni. 4 talls and a mid
  • Trade/FA: Kerridge, Lamb, Phillips, Plowman, Sumner, Wright, Gorringe. 2 talls, 2 mids, 3 others (smalls, flankers, etc)
  • Total: 6 talls, 3 mids, 3 others

2016:
  • Draft: Petrevski-Seton, Fisher, Macreadie, Polson, Williamson, Kerr. 2 talls, 3 mids, 1 other
  • Trade/FA: Marchbank, Pickett, Palmer, Smedts. 1 tall, 1 mid, 2 others
  • Total : 3 talls, 4 mids, 3 others
2017:
  • Draft: Dow, O'Brien, De Koning, Schumacher, Garlett. 1 tall, 2 mids, 2 others
  • Trade/FA/PSD: Kennedy, Lang, Lobbe, Mullett, O'Shea. 2 talls, 3 mids
  • Total: 3 talls, 5 mids, 2 others

Italics showing players departed.
I'm not counting rookies as for the most part they are a free hit from the bottom of the barrel.
Hopefully I haven't missed anyone...

All up on the senior list we've picked up 12 talls, 12 mids and 8 'others'. It's pretty clear to see the trend of talls: mids/others ratio has been shifting over the three years. It may shift retrospectively too as I've counted Pickett, Williamson, Garlett & Schumacher as 'others' and Jack and O'Shea as talls (debatable I know) and Jack may end up an inside mid.

I could very well see us pick Lukosius with 1 (if we have it), take mids with the next 2 or 3, pick up BSOS, maybe grab a smokey ala Garlett with 75 or whatever it is. Through trade/FA go after a couple more mids and a small/flanker. We end up with 8 or 9 new players: 2 talls, 4 or 5 mids, and a couple of smalls/flankers, could even go as far as a 2 and 7 tall-mid split. Reckon it fits the blueprint and probably still works fairly closely with the 'best available' principle. Conversely maybe SOS does some magic to try and get multiple hits in the 5-12 range and grabs a heap of mids there then only takes BSOS, or takes Walsh, BSOS and whatever else he can get that's BA. Who knows... a lot of water has to pass under the bridge before we find out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back