List Mgmt. Carlton's 2018 Draft Thread (cont. in Part 2)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lets say Luko ends up being every bit as good as a Nick Riewoldt...

I still don't think Riewoldts career is anywhere near as good if he wasn't being fed by...
Hayes, Dal Santo, Goddard, Jones, Gram, Ball

We need mids... we have invested in height.. we need to get the engine room going

Luko? How familiar have we become with our pick already? :)

Won't be doing comparisons here but Williamson, Pickett, O'Brien, Fisher, Cuningham and SPS....yes SPS....are pretty good ball users at their best and can really only get better.

Lets say Luko ends up being every bit as good as a Nick Riewoldt...

I still don't think Riewoldts career is anywhere near as good if he wasn't being fed by...
Hayes, Dal Santo, Goddard, Jones, Gram, Ball

We need mids... we have invested in height.. we need to get the engine room going

You must be taking the p1ss, think you should have a good look at his CV. Saints had a very good midfield, but wouldn't rate them in the top 5 as a group, over the last 15 years of his career.

Now just imagine if he was playing for a Cats, Hawks, Swans outfit over that time

Mate, they gave up pick 2 for a better than average player in last years trade period (Weller I think)

They’ve had way more top 20 picks than we’ve had over the last 3 years. Their list composition is still relatively young.

Whilst I can’t see pick 1 for 4&5 I could see say pick 1/22 for 4&5 in drafts gone by recently but Having said that, Lukosius isn’t the only gun tall in this draft and all depends how big a boner they would have for him.

We may get lucky...but then SOS May have his own boner for him!!

Let's hope so. Historically good things happen for Carlton when Silvagni's get boners!

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Broke his leg in his first season. Was BOG in the third game of his second season and then won the B&F that year.

Was a slow burn alright:)

Cripps was miles off the pace in his first season.
Then came back after his second preseason looking like a different player. But that BOG game against St Kilda was EPIC!

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Last edited:
Mate, they gave up pick 2 for a better than average player in last years trade period (Weller I think)

They’ve had way more top 20 picks than we’ve had over the last 3 years. Their list composition is still relatively young.

Whilst I can’t see pick 1 for 4&5 I could see say pick 1/22 for 4&5 in drafts gone by recently but Having said that, Lukosius isn’t the only gun tall in this draft and all depends how big a boner they would have for him.

We may get lucky...but then SOS May have his own boner for him!!
They gave up 2 because he was the first bloke tp want to go up there.

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

A midfielder who knows how to find the ball, tackles, and is good both inside and outside. Yes please. Exactly what we need.
Apparently has leadership qualities as well.

#3 Sam Walsh
Outside Midfielder (Geelong Falcons/Vic Country)
02/07/2000 | 183cm | 74kg

The best midfielder in the 2018 AFL Draft pool has started the season exceptionally well at TAC Cup level, averaging 34 disposals and six tackles in four games. Walsh’s smarts help him around the ground and it is very hard to keep him quiet out of a game. Against the North Melbourne VFL team, Walsh had 22 disposals, nine marks and four clearances, working through the midfield and booting the opening goal of the game. His spread on the outside is good and he has shown his can win the footy in both contested and uncontested situations. Leads from the front and is probably the safest player in this draft pool for a club to draft.

We could do with a dynamic small half forward type who pressures and kicks goals too.

#5 Izak Rankine
Small Forward/Balanced Midfielder (West Adelaide/South Australia)
23/04/2000 | 180cm | 76kg

Probably the most exciting prospect in the 2018 AFL Draft pool, Rankine can do some special things that majority of others cannot. He is a lively forward who can push into the midfield and win his own footy, with his agility a key trait. Rankine was so good in last year’s NAB AFL Under 17 All Stars match that they made him switch teams at half-time! He missed the opening few weeks through suspension, but has since returned back to SANFL League footy with West Adelaide, booting four goals from 12 disposals. At this stage he is more of a forward/midfielder than a pure midfielder – and it will be interesting to see how he goes throughout the year, working on his craft with more midfield time for the South Australian side in the NAB AFL Under 18 Championships.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If we can get pick 19 (PP), pick 23 and pick 33, that's a fair bit to play with.
Equivalent to around pick 3 in points, but in this draft a combination of two or three of those picks could get us into the top 10 again.

Go midfield twice (Walsh/Rankine + Rozee/Smith) or tall and mid (Lukosius + Rozee/Smith).

Bailey Smith seems like he's on a strong upward trajectory though, absolutely dominating TAC cup at the moment and a December birthday. Recipe for a rise in the rankings with time.

Not that he suits our needs, but I am on this kids bandwagon.

#10 Bailey Williams
Key Position Forward/Ruckman (Dandenong Stingrays/Vic Country)
17/04/2000 | 198cm | 95kg

The red-haired Williams burst onto the scene last year with some eyecatching displays for the Dandenong Stingrays, while he was also able to represent the Vic Country Under 18 team as a bottom-ager, where he mostly played in the ruck. While Williams is a strong ruck, he is probably a better forward at the moment – in the mould of Gold Coast’s 2014 draftee Peter Wright. Williams has an outstanding leap and marks well overhead. He is a capable set shot for goal and booted a stunning bag of seven against the Western Jets in Round 4 of the 2018 TAC Cup.

For those who have watched Luko is he really that much better than all the other highly rated KPP prospects of the past 5-10 years?

At worst could he be a Jack Watts?

I personally think he is one of the best forwards by miles I've seen. He is also a modern day forward that should suit the modern game.

I guess worse case would be a Jack Watts or maybe Justin Westhoff?

Still the upside and true potential for me is more Jeremy Cameron or Volt.

If we finish last and Lukosious is the player everyone is talking him up to be, there is zero chance SOS would not take him.
It's not often the majority of experts say a kid is the best talent they've seen come through the draft.

This is why Rankine is #1 for me.

Has goal kicking mid written all over him.
We have enough 1 footed players at the moment without adding another. Call me old fashioned, but it really pisses me off when someone has a clear and open path to kick the ball, but has to stop and turn back into traffic because they can't kick with the opposite foot.

For those who have watched Luko is he really that much better than all the other highly rated KPP prospects of the past 5-10 years?

At worst could he be a Jack Watts?

I've not seen him, but based on what I've read he's different to Tom Boyd, McCartin or Schache as he isn't just a big boy full forward, but rather is more mobile. Ala Tom Lynch, Jeremy Cameron and as he's been compared to frequently, Nick Riewoldt. So for me that's very good as it's more the prototypical modern key forward, not your big mauler who struggles to get around.

His high possession numbers as a key forward are also different to most other prospects you see come through. It's not just goals but 20+ disposals to go along with it.

It would be good to have this theory confirmed (or otherwise) by those who've watched him.

Last edited:
Have rated Lukosius number 1 pick, before the start of this season, but given where our list is at, why would we trade out any of our young talented kids, just doesn't make sense

Your view, personally holding an abundance of assets in one area, whilst having significant weaknesses in others would not make sense to me!

No way.

If i had to decide between keeping Harry and drafting a mid, or trading Harry and drafting Lukosius, i'd choose the former.

Harry is showing some good signs at AFL level and we've got a couple years into him. People overhype draftees all the time...Boyd was meant to take the competition by storm and he hasn't. Lukosius is lean and agile...he could be a star or he could be Jack Watts who went pick 1 due to similar attributes.

Bottom line is in zero scenarios should we be trading Harry.

Most agree with you - I simply don't. TDK is a Forward ruck, Kerr a forward, Charlie a forward, Harry a forward, Lukosius a forward, BSOS a forward, JSOS currently only ever shown talent as a forward, and Levi a forward. In my eyes, the only one remotely capable of been considered anything but a key forward is charlie, as he is agile and quick enough. That is 8 key forwards on your list - yuck!! You simply can't have midfield numbers, let alone midfield depths with that list composition.

So for me I'd take Luk and Walsh (harry out), rather than Harry and Luk.

Comparison to Boyd and Watts is just wrong - very little in common.

Boyd was a big strong forward who bullied kids less developed out of the goal square.
Watts was a lean kid who again bullied smaller kids predominately in school football and then again in U18 football.
Lukosius is a lean, agile powerful running tall forward playing well in SANFL.

However, as i started, most on here agree with you - zero scenario's should we trade Harry. I just personally think that is closed minded.

Your view, personally holding an abundance of assets in one area, whilst having significant weaknesses in others would not make sense to me!
Unless that abundance is a highly sought after commodity, which you can then trade for needs.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Most agree with you - I simply don't. TDK is a Forward ruck, Kerr a forward, Charlie a forward, Harry a forward, Lukosius a forward, BSOS a forward, JSOS currently only ever shown talent as a forward, and Levi a forward. In my eyes, the only one remotely capable of been considered anything but a key forward is charlie, as he is agile and quick enough. That is 8 key forwards on your list - yuck!! You simply can't have midfield numbers, let alone midfield depths with that list composition.

So for me I'd take Luk and Walsh (harry out), rather than Harry and Luk.

Comparison to Boyd and Watts is just wrong - very little in common.

Boyd was a big strong forward who bullied kids less developed out of the goal square.
Watts was a lean kid who again bullied smaller kids predominately in school football and then again in U18 football.
Lukosius is a lean, agile powerful running tall forward playing well in SANFL.

However, as i started, most on here agree with you - zero scenario's should we trade Harry. I just personally think that is closed minded.

TDK will be a ruckman

That leaves Harry and Kerr (if he makes it) as KPF's

Charlie could play a variety of roles, KPF, roaming forward/time further up the ground

BSOS - Would be like suggesting Kerr will be elite

I don't see an abundance of options, similar to any other type of player/area

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back