List Mgmt. Carlton's 2018 Draft Thread (cont. in Part 2)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Only one of those arguably matters, and that's the TAC captaincy. That's something that's forged through years of close relationships, not a short-run popularity vote.

Can I join you in the bizarro dimension you seem to have formed this opinion in, as I assume Carlton are winning there

Murphy’s kicking has deteriorated in recent years. Originally he was a reliable kick.

Was it last year where he had a run of games getting 30 disposals a week. I really noticed during those games how much he was butchering the ball. I was hoping he would focus on it and clean it up. I don’t think he has.

I sometimes wonder if the shoulder injuries have affected his ball drop because it is a bit high.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

Can almost pinpoint the downhill trajectory to the shoulder injury against the Lions from Robert Copeland on a much younger player.
Never seemed to come back from it.
Actually I would say it was the collision injury in 2012 that significantly affected him. He was coming off AA & AFLCA honors in 2011 & looked primed early in the 2012 season to continue performing at that level.

Murphy’s kicking has deteriorated in recent years. Originally he was a reliable kick.

Was it last year where he had a run of games getting 30 disposals a week. I really noticed during those games how much he was butchering the ball. I was hoping he would focus on it and clean it up. I don’t think he has.

I sometimes wonder if the shoulder injuries have affected his ball drop because it is a bit high.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

Unbiased assessment. Well done.

In other news, BSOS is too slow for AFL. May not get drafted.

Are our draft picks already allocated? Walsh, BSOS, Hickmott?

Hickmotts WA combine results if invited to national combine would have had him 6th in running vertical jump, top 10 in yo-yo test and 3rd in agility.
I imagine the club would want to down play these targets, so that rivals pay less attention to them IMO. Think there’s a strong chance WC would pick hickmott due to the fathers role there.

Somehow I suspect SOS & his counterparts at the other 17 AFL clubs wouldn't be compiling their wish list on this basis. I also suspect that SOS & his counterparts have more relevant data on potential draftees than the 'experts' on here.

I also suspect there will be some posters moaning on draft night because their preferred player/s haven't been chosen by SOS. Happens every year.
SOS, his counterparts and posters......the usual suspects this time of year. :D

Are our draft picks already allocated? Walsh, BSOS, Hickmott?

Hickmotts WA combine results if invited to national combine would have had him 6th in running vertical jump, top 10 in yo-yo test and 3rd in agility.

Given Hickmott hasn't nominated us via the Father/Son rule as yet, I don't think we can lock him in. He may prefer to take his chances in an open draft, particularly if West Coast have shown some interest and committed to him him a third rounder or thereabouts.

Can't see us not taking BSOS, either as a late F/S pick or via the rookie draft. Continues the story, and he's exactly the kind of project player that should be taken that late in the draft. If it turns out his motivation levels aren't up to scratch, he disappears in a couple of years, but hopefully in a professional environment, surrrounded by bigger, stronger, faster players, with a bit of friendly competition with his older brother, he can develop into a handy player.

It will be interesting to see what types we draft, whether late in the ND or via rookie drafts.

Reckon we'll see a rebounding defender or two, a couple of mids and all being well, a dynamic small forward.
Of course, if they're deemed not to be of a standard, they won't be looked at, but there must be some sort of 'ideal' in balancing the list out.

If we do take Ben Silvagni, he may be the project KPD for us.
I just can't see us taking another tall forward right now. Would sooner put the heat on Kerr and to a lesser extent TDK, by giving them best opportunity,

It will be interesting to see what types we draft, whether late in the ND or via rookie drafts.

Reckon we'll see a rebounding defender or two, a couple of mids and all being well, a dynamic small forward.
Of course, if they're deemed not to be of a standard, they won't be looked at, but there must be some sort of 'ideal' in balancing the list out.

I just can't see us taking another tall forward right now. Would sooner put the heat on Kerr and to a lesser extent TDK, by giving them best opportunity,
We delisted 3 talls and BSOS has played as much this year as a defender

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We delisted 3 talls and BSOS has played as much this year as a defender

We delisted the talls because we had way too many; Rowe, JGM, O'Shea and ASilvagni retired.
I don't think you can clutter any part of the ground with similar types, as it just throws the whole mechanism out, with players being forced out of position just because there are too many of the wrong types in one part of the ground.

Good thing is that Macreadie will get a real chance to prove himself down back now, being given the opportunity to do so.

Reckon we'll see a rebounding defender or two
, a couple of mids and all being well, a dynamic small forward.

I don't really see a rebounding defender being targeted - Docherty, Williamson and Newman will all be additions in that role in 2019, they seem to be keen on Cuningham in that spot and I think they would want to see Marchbank and Plowman provide more run from defence once we get the midfield strong enough to some them being constantly on the back foot.

I don't really see a rebounding defender being targeted - Docherty, Williamson and Newman will all be additions in that role in 2019, they seem to be keen on Cuningham in that spot and I think they would want to see Marchbank and Plowman provide more run from defence once we get the midfield strong enough to some them being constantly on the back foot.

I agree with you however if you substitute 'rebound' defenders for 'running' defenders it's a different story.

None of your list are line-breakers except possibly Williamson (Cuningham has the traits but might not make it).

I suspect that's what HARKER meant, although I don't want to speak for him. IMHO a quick, 'running' defender is one of the list's most glaring omissions.

I agree with you however if you substitute 'rebound' defenders for 'running' defenders it's a different story.

None of your list are line-breakers except possibly Williamson (Cuningham has the traits but might not make it).

I suspect that's what HARKER meant, although I don't want to speak for him. IMHO a quick, 'running' defender is one of the list's most glaring omissions.

A little more speed might be nice (losing Byrne hurts in that regard) but I don't see it being a massive issue, I think the likes of Williamson, Newman and Docherty are good enough to "break the lines" with their foot skills (Williamson has the speed to do it as well) and we will be looking for the mids, especially the hard running O'Brien (maybe Walsh) with Murphy and the speed of Fisher and Dow to provide the run.

It would be great if Cuningham got a injury free run and really took his chance this year, I have been a big wrap on him but he just hasn't been able to get that consistency.

For those not interested in seiving through the past 10 pages and wanting a summary (TL;DR):
  • Sam Walsh has been told by us that we'll select him at #1 and there'll be no trading down
  • Walsh is Vanilla and we should be looking at trading down
  • Walsh being compared with heaps of players, many comparisons of which are ill-researched and off-base
  • Sam Walsh is still vanilla
  • Being vanilla isn't necessarily a bad thing
  • A range of fairly good and accurate vanilla-based metaphors
  • Approximately 40 posts arguing over who is the better player, runner and general comparison of Marc Murphy and Sam Walsh
  • Again, more posts about Walsh being vanilla and the general value of vanilla-ness
  • Walsh's intangiable qualities (leadership etc) and that being exactly what we need with our first pick
  • Otherwise, a bunch of fantastic photos and player reviews of 2019 draftees by TheSmokingGun
  • I feel like ice-cream... damn you all
Have I got that about right?

McGrath is pretty vanilla
Tell ya what that Maddie Prespakis is anything but vanilla. Rum & raison, chocolate topping, hundreds & thousands and even a cherry on top. Right foot, left foot, inside, outside, good mark, erupts out of stoppages and can she bury someone in a tackle!!! ;)

High possession players who some might say where vanilla:

- Diesel Williams
- Robert Harvey
- Simon Black
- Scott West
- Dane Swan
- Sam Mitchell
- Brett Ratten

Let say Sam Walsh ends up Brett Ratten level I will absolutely willingly take him at number 1.

Let's just get a few things straight. Walsh:
  • Is the best performed player at U18 level in 2018
  • Captained every team he played in and is VC at St Josephs
  • Has been praised by everyone from at least half of the club recruiters and heavily endorsed by the Cats leadership (where he trained in 2018/19 preseason)
  • Is exactly what we need (gun midfielder, durable, leadership, accumulator, great character)
  • Has publicly said that he wants to play for us and will commit to the team who drafts him (confidently, not just 'yeah, nah I'd love to play for whoever... its a national draft' blah blah)
  • He has arguably the best character of any kid in the draft pool, combining exceptional on-field and off-field traits
In summary, #WalshIsOurMan

Close thread.

I’m interest to know, would the people reading this take Cam Rayner or Paddy Dow and Lochie O’brien?
Because I see that as basically a similar situation SOS faces now, I would take the 2.

Thing is, SOS would have taken Dow at 1, not Raynor. So you do that trade last year.

But the only way we get Walsh, is keep #1.

Also need to factor in how our list has changed in the past year. We’re getting much more towards targeting specific players, rather than bringing in numbers.

Whats the bet Dodoro bids on BSOS at pick 66?

It depends.

If we nominate BSOS as ND f/s, I would expect Dodoro to bid at 66
If we nominate BSOS as RD f/s, I would expect Dododo to pass

I think we will/should nominate BSOS for the rookie draft. He is less accomplished than JSOS was as a forward. He is less accomplished than JSOS was a backman. He does have a better athletic profile, but then this could be offset by alleged attitude issues.

Using one of our picks in the 70s is relatively harmless, but I am not convinced at this stage (in my amateur opinion) that he is main draft worthy.

High possession players who some might say where vanilla:

- Diesel Williams
- Robert Harvey
- Simon Black
- Scott West
- Dane Swan
- Sam Mitchell
- Brett Ratten

Let say Sam Walsh ends up Brett Ratten level I will absolutely willingly take him at number 1.
There was nothing vanilla about Diesel ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back