List Mgmt. Carlton's 2019 Draft Thread

Eiffel 65

Cancelled
Sep 18, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Gryffindor
Interesting to see where that places him. Could drift out to pick 15 or so.

If we don't trade our first, I'd be more than happy for the club to take a chance on him if he's available at our selection.

The fact that we've already secured a solid player as a part of this trade gives us more opportunity to take a risk with this pick.

Is Bailey Dale worth a shot

More for list management, but yes he was worth a shot but any more games like yesterday and the price will shoot up.

If (big if) Adelaide fall out of the top 8, we'd be holding a pick we likely didn't bank on.
What would happen should we hold a pick #9, instead of the 12-15 we thought we'd have?

I still don't think we'll go to the draft with it, but all of a sudden we may be holding onto more currency than budgeted for.

Sell it off for 2 seconds?
Take one of the players we're looking at with a good second coming back that may be used for another player?
Parcel that pick along with a player to pick up a real premium player?

All of a sudden we may have more options than seemed possible.

Bendigo Blue

Rookie
Jul 28, 2019
Axedale
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Strathfieldsaye Storm
Unless SOS can engineer a trade waited in our favour (23-26 YO gun) then happy for him to be backed into finding the best in the draft.

Bump

What a sad thread this has become this year. No early picks to discuss. :)

I haven't followed the underage crop this year at all, but for the little I have seen, there just doesn't seem to be a lot to really get excited about.
Naturally, there will be quality players coming through, but given our situation and the likeliness of not taking Adelaides first to the draft, the interest has vastly diminished.

The question will arise elsewhere and not only on this board, but where would Stocker have slotted into this mix if he was involved?
Would like to hear someone like a Sheehan or even Twomey discuss this.

FitzroyBlueBagger

FitzroyBlueBagger
Sep 30, 2018
Fitzroy
AFL Club
Carlton
If we happen to land Coniglio and Papley, I'd love us to get a pick back into the second round for a chance to grab Dylan Williams if he was available and somehow slipped out to pick 23+ Maybe another live trade possibility...

Aug 27, 2014
spacetime
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
there are no other teams worthy
If we happen to land Coniglio and Papley, I'd love us to get a pick back into the second round for a chance to grab Dylan Williams if he was available and somehow slipped out to pick 23+ Maybe another live trade possibility...
Ideally find a club that has some decent Academy player or Father Son pick that taken just around then in predictions and trade them a bunch of later picks that add to what they need to match a bid on their kid and we get a pick in mid 20's somewhere from it. Plenty of ways to engineer these things now but remember other clubs will be trying this stuff too. Well the smart ones will. Still a few dopey list management groups around like Crows etc.

FitzroyBlueBagger

FitzroyBlueBagger
Sep 30, 2018
Fitzroy
AFL Club
Carlton
Ideally find a club that has some decent Academy player or Father Son pick that taken just around then in predictions and trade them a bunch of later picks that add to what they need to match a bid on their kid and we get a pick in mid 20's somewhere from it. Plenty of ways to engineer these things now but remember other clubs will be trying this stuff too. Well the smart ones will. Still a few dopey list management groups around like Crows etc.
There's a couple of clubs GWS and WCE that have multiple picks atm that could be looking for deals that would benefit themselves for Academy players- Green and Kelly going back home, the lower Adelaide finish personally i think the more likely that SOS will turn that pick into greater deals for ourselves that will possibly help land players and picks...
Trade period could still be very interesting this year..

Nov 13, 2015
In Transit
AFL Club
Carlton
Bump

I haven't followed the underage crop this year at all, but for the little I have seen, there just doesn't seem to be a lot to really get excited about.
Naturally, there will be quality players coming through, but given our situation and the likeliness of not taking Adelaides first to the draft, the interest has vastly diminished.

The question will arise elsewhere and not only on this board, but where would Stocker have slotted into this mix if he was involved?

Easily top 10

Sheephead

Club Legend
Nov 23, 2009
In a good paddock
AFL Club
Carlton
If Adelaide get a touch up today, Collingwood could take them next week at home, and then they play Bulldogs last game and after yesterdays game, that could be really interesting. ADE (9th currently) could easily fall to 12th if Freo win 2 of 3, and then stocker would cost us 3-4 pick downgrade. Nooice!!

I reckon on we trade that pick for an established player anyway, and I expect Suns to get a PP this year also.

Jan 27, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Bump

I was really disappointed in the quality of the Championships this year. I am NOT just saying this because we have a minor hand this year but as a genuine assessment. I look at the draft as a holistic enjoyment not just a Carlton exercise. Most of us here in this thread including yourself do likewise.

I thought the midfield crops were ordinary at best. I thought there were zero key forwards which in turn flattered the key defenders. I do like the ruck crop of Jackson, Bryan and Comben though, even though the latter 2 are longtermers.

Kemp and Williams are clearly my favorite prospects, and now Kemps done a knee.

The top players i sort of negatively see as are:

Rowell- gun but only a midget mid. I could never rate McGrath in the Top 5 in his year for the same reason. Rowell is also already muscled up unlike a Walsh. Although that hasn't hurt Worpel. He does seem to have the mindset.

Anderson - Gun but not very contested. Maybe it's memories of his ol man but i can't get enthused about using a Top 3 pick on him.

Serong- gun junior but a midget and a tad slow. Not really keen on that package with a top pick.

Young and Ashe - guns but just back flankers at AFL i think.

Flanders and Gould are questionable re scope.

All in all, not an exciting top crop imo. Personally, i'm probably still having Kemp and Williams up at the top and banking on their talent to be difference makers at AFL level.

This was my list as at July 4 that i posted in this thread. Wouldn't change a lot. Maybe a bit of shuffling. I still think Dylan Williams footy in the TAC finals was better than anything at the Carnival. Not too worried about his slowish year so far this year. Robertson i like. Jackson i like. McAsey i like. Pickett i like. I see these as value picks who i can see being AFL good uns at value from where they look like being ranked..

1. Brodie Kemp
2. Dylan Williams
3. Matt Rowell
4. Deven Robertson
5. Noah Anderson
6. Hayden Young
7. Cam Taheny
8. Luke Jackson
9. Lachie Ashe
10. Fisher McAsey
11. Nick Bryan
12. Elijah Taylor
13. Harry Schoenberg
14. Will Gould
15. Sam Flanders
16. Mal Rosas
17. Charlie Comben
18. Ky Pickett
19. Liam Henry
20. Trent Rivers
21. Mitch O'Neill
22. Jeremy Sharp
23. Tom Green
24. Caleb Serong
25. Sam DeKonning

I was really disappointed in the quality of the Championships this year. I am NOT just saying this because we have a minor hand this year but as a genuine assessment. I look at the draft as a holistic enjoyment not just a Carlton exercise. Most of us here in this thread including yourself do likewise.

I thought the midfield crops were ordinary at best. I thought there were zero key forwards which in turn flattered the key defenders. I do like the ruck crop of Jackson, Bryan and Comben though, even though the latter 2 are longtermers.

Kemp and Williams are clearly my favorite prospects, and now Kemps done a knee.

The top players i sort of negatively see as are:

Rowell- gun but only a midget mid. I could never rate McGrath in the Top 5 in his year for the same reason. Rowell is also already muscled up unlike a Walsh. Although that hasn't hurt Worpel. He does seem to have the mindset.

Anderson - Gun but not very contested. Maybe it's memories of his ol man but i can't get enthused about using a Top 3 pick on him.

Serong- gun junior but a midget and a tad slow. Not really keen on that package with a top pick.

Young and Ashe - guns but just back flankers at AFL i think.

Flanders and Gould are questionable re scope.

All in all, not an exciting top crop imo. Personally, i'm probably still having Kemp and Williams up at the top and banking on their talent to be difference makers at AFL level.

This was my list as at July 4 that i posted in this thread. Wouldn't change a lot. Maybe a bit of shuffling. I still think Dylan Williams footy in the TAC finals was better than anything at the Carnival. Not too worried about his slowish year so far this year. Robertson i like. Jackson i like. McAsey i like. Pickett i like. I see these as value picks who i can see being AFL good uns at value from where they look like being ranked..

1. Brodie Kemp
2. Dylan Williams
3. Matt Rowell
4. Deven Robertson
5. Noah Anderson
6. Hayden Young
7. Cam Taheny
8. Luke Jackson
9. Lachie Ashe
10. Fisher McAsey
11. Nick Bryan
12. Elijah Taylor
13. Harry Schoenberg
14. Will Gould
15. Sam Flanders
16. Mal Rosas
17. Charlie Comben
18. Ky Pickett
19. Liam Henry
20. Trent Rivers
21. Mitch O'Neill
22. Jeremy Sharp
23. Tom Green
24. Caleb Serong
25. Sam DeKonning

Little doubt that Rowell & Anderson will be good players, but they just don't scream 1 & 2 to me in most drafts.

Like you, I couldn't wait for the 2018 champs to get up and running and even for the lack of MKing, they were mostly a good spectacle and plenty of players to have gotten excited about. Just didn't feel it this year and therefore didn't watch a lot at all.

Where would you have inserted Stocker into this draft, Terry?

Jan 27, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Little doubt that Rowell & Anderson will be good players, but they just don't scream 1 & 2 to me in most drafts.

Like you, I couldn't wait for the 2018 champs to get up and running and even for the lack of MKing, they were mostly a good spectacle and plenty of players to have gotten excited about. Just didn't feel it this year and therefore didn't watch a lot at all.

Where would you have inserted Stocker into this draft, Terry?

Well, i wasn't really a Stocker fan last year either. I didn't see a lot of him though except for a couple games and some highlights. I had him around where he went at about 20. But that crop was much better than this lot imo.

The way i look at the Stocker pickswap situation is that it was a clear win for both us and Adelaide. We rated him at 6(i think mostly on need for us) but they rated him outside their top 18. So a good move by both clubs.

To answer your question though, looking at my list i guess about 7ish to 15ish.

Mar 13, 2008
Perth, Australia
AFL Club
Carlton
I still think Young will move into the midfield at AFL level and with his kicking skills, marking and contested ability, he is going to be very good.
Ash, could easily rotate between the back flank and wing, another gun with his speed, kicking and game sense.

This draft is lacking tall forwards but have a number of handy defenders. They not exactly players you jump to get.

I think the Dockers scored big time with Henry, he is Walters with more speed in my eyes. He will pinch hit in the midfield and be dangerous around goals, love him as a prospect and would be perfect for Carlton in my eyes.

I think Jones may end up becoming the best hybrid forward from this draft class and he is projected to go in the mid 20's with many rating him even lower.

Aug 22, 2014
AFL Club
Carlton
Let's say, hypothetically, we pick up Coniglio via FA but Sydney block a trade for Papley.

We go into draft night with Pick ~10.

Is there anyone there that absolutely stands out as a quality, bankable small forward who could impact immediately (ala Daniel Rioli)?

And if not - would there be more value in live trading that pick to another club to pick up a second rounder this year and a future first.
Ie. send Pick 10 to Essendon for 28 and their future first - they'd be expecting finals wins next season, and they don't have a first rounder this year.

Does the quality drop that much from 10 to something in the 25-30 range, and does a future mid first rounder (10-16) help us more if we want to have a second dip at Papley when he's out of contract?

dlb99

Club Legend
Sep 14, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton
As SOS knew already, 2019 was going, and is confirming to be, a weak draft.

2018 on the other hand had quality well into the teens. May well turn out to be a super-draft.

Port did well to get 3 top 20 picks in that draft.

Pick swap will not haunt us.

Jan 27, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
I still think Young will move into the midfield at AFL level and with his kicking skills, marking and contested ability, he is going to be very good.
Ash, could easily rotate between the back flank and wing, another gun with his speed, kicking and game sense.

This draft is lacking tall forwards but have a number of handy defenders. They not exactly players you jump to get.

I think the Dockers scored big time with Henry, he is Walters with more speed in my eyes. He will pinch hit in the midfield and be dangerous around goals, love him as a prospect and would be perfect for Carlton in my eyes.

I think Jones may end up becoming the best hybrid forward from this draft class and he is projected to go in the mid 20's with many rating him even lower.

Lemming, what do you make of Henry's competitiveness? In your viewings over there have you seen him attack into contests as well as out of contests? It is one thing i didn't see in him in the games i saw. Beautiful player though.

The 3 small indigenous players are an interesting group imo. Mal Rosas has that extreme game breaking pace like a Charlie Cameron or Pettrucelli. Ky Pickett has toughness and great game sense. And Liam Henry is classy like a Brad Hill to me.

I like them all, and can't really decide who i would rank ahead of the others.

Also on Jones, will be interesting how the experts think they can develop his body. He is extremely skinny. If he has got the body type that they can build up, then he will be sort after. Kinda like Port's Marshall as a junior, except even skinnier. But if he is always gonna be skinny, like say Jaidyn Stephenson, then he needs to be a freak like him.

Aug 16, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Arsenal
Bump

Adelaide have a tough 2 weeks, potentially could lose both and imo will be lucky to get 1 win, which puts our pick around 7-8. Is it possible we push harder for Cognilio in order to take this pick to the draft?

Does landing a big FA change our tactics?

I haven’t taken much notice this year but the Crows implosion has peaked my interest.

Aug 16, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Arsenal
How far will Kemp drop after doing an ACL?

I personally would hate to use a top pick on a kid fresh of an ACL, too much risk. As Kemp can’t test and will miss next season, will it be enough for him to drop to the 2nd round?

Aug 22, 2014
AFL Club
Carlton
How far will Kemp drop after doing an ACL?

I personally would hate to use a top pick on a kid fresh of an ACL, too much risk. As Kemp can’t test and will miss next season, will it be enough for him to drop to the 2nd round?

Didn't hurt Max King too much.

Kemp is quality, and in a weak draft you'd have to think someone will roll the dice on him with a top 10 pick.

Mar 13, 2008
Perth, Australia
AFL Club
Carlton
Henry, Taylor, Pickett, Rosas for me is the rough order of those smalls.

Henry, I have no issues with his competitiveness, I think he is a complete package for me.
Taylor is the one where I slightly question his desire to tackle and get in and under. I still think he has freakish levels of talent, so massive upside with whoever gets him. You would want some great player welfare management systems and certainly give him 2-3 years to develop into an AFL player.

Back