Autopsy Cats lose to Demons by 8 points

Remove this Banner Ad

The hyperbole of this statement is off the charts.

Players can have occasional bad games without needing to have a long walk on the beach alone to contemplate how bad his performance was. Nor should we drop him because of it.

Go outside and touch grass.
Yeah, the board is unreadable when players - kids, ones in their prime or veterans - are written off with such permanency and hyperbole for a bad game.

It is absolutely fine to call a spade for spade, which would amount to "J.Henry had a shocker, with costly errors today". Why people feel the need to make out as if the punishment should be 3 months in the GFL or be sent to the retirement village, I have no idea.

It is different with Hawkins as at least his dry spell has lasted a month and he is 36. Fair enough, the signs are there. Although I thought he got more involved in general play today - even if it didn't come off. As for the others being "thrown in the bin" after generally performing well in a 7-1 start: people seriously need to get a life, or a brain, or both.

Was that the worst game of Mitch Duncan's career? Hard to recall him ever being as bad as that.
I would say its close. An absolute shocker and his round 1-7 level probably would've been worth 2 or 3 goals, so it was crucial. But that just goes to show how wrong people have been when they pretend his previous level was like what he produced today.

Watched it on delay.

Came away thinking our prime movers had their worst games in some time. Duncan, Cameron, Hawkins were terrible.

Season is 23 games long now, and we're better for the run. We'll be fine. They're a good outfit.

Come back next week and put on a show.

Be a long time before Cameron kicks for goal that badly again.
He doesnt and we win which is positive considering how badly we played.

Upside is clark is going to be an absolute A grader-i saw enough signs tonight that once he builds a tank he will get there. His tenacity is great and bruhn was looking the same pre injury.
Miers was a gun again as was holmes and guthrie and close and stengle were very good as was ollie.

Downsides for me were ollies brother (effort is there but looks badly out of form), duncan is still class by foot but looks very slow. And stanley is a worry. Im still not sure our overall game can cover our ruck and midfield deficiencies. Then again we got smashed tonight in midfield and our disposal on turnover was crap and despite all that we win if cameron doesnt miss 2 sodas in the last. So maybe our gameplan will hold up better than i think.

Stanley will go out for conway next week. They will probably rest bruhn shoulder for parfitt (we will miss him). Duncan looks like he needs a rest. The bigger one will be hawkins traditionally we dont rest him but he looks like he needs it. Im sure they will want to try rohan in the 22 somehow.

For a kid with only a few games under his belt, Clark has nouse. It often takes time for the young ones to adjust to the pace of the game, and they can get caught. He's so smart with peripheral vision and body placement, very fast to get boot to ball from a contest, and even then it's a good distance clearing kick. Making every kick count, and developing a bit of brawn, this Geelong boy is going to go places, to the delight of his local family.

There's no doubt that Cameron has had a great start to the season & tonight was a serious let down - probably his worse return in the Hoops and he just couldn't seem to get things going, outside that one kick to Close

While Miers is another who's been up & about to start the season, and he's lack of involvement during the first half was noticeable, more so because of what happened in the third qtr when he was able to get his hands on the ball

But what's the chances it's Zach Guthrie currently leading our B&F tonight?

At the ground, he comfortable looked our best player tonight, and at no stage did the situation seem to get to him - even with a couple of errors in the first quarter, he was able to reset, refocus and get back on with the task at hand

Can't recall him really putting a foot wrong at any stage this season, and while he was a little quieter against North that really wasn't his fault

He stood up in the absence of Stewart in the second half against Brisbane, was solid again last week and kept it going this week

He finished 4th in the B&F last season - can he go a few steps better this season?
Holmes, Zuthrie and Miers would all be right up there as of now.

Watched it on delay.

Came away thinking our prime movers had their worst games in some time. Duncan, Cameron, Hawkins were terrible.

Season is 23 games long now, and we're better for the run. We'll be fine. They're a good outfit.

Come back next week and put on a show.
They are. We were sh*t but Melbourne were less sh*t when it counted. They kicked some very lucky goals at the right time. Jezza couldn't buy a goal when he was straight in front.

J Henry's game wasn't so bad, but that boo boo with Fritsch was unforgivable. He assumed the ball was going over the line and slowed up on the boundry side of Fritsch giving him access to the goal and enough space to take a pot. It killed off Geelong's chances. It's a tough way to learn a lesson but he won't do that next time.

Sure there were a few costly umpire calls.
Lots of missed kicks and handballs
An epidemic of bad kicking at goal
Cats had a chance to steal it at the end.
Many believe to Cats blew it...

NO! the Demons deserved the win.
Dees simply wanted it more
Dees were more disciplined
Dees took the body at every contest
They held their tackles
They held on to stop Cats playing on.
Cats were always under intense pressure
Rushed decisions and made clangers

In Contrast Cats played bruise free footy.
Waited for, rather than attacked the ball
Rarely brought the man down
Didn't stick tackles to stop ball movement.
Stood back from the mark
Allowed Dees to play on fluently
Allowed time and space to execute skills

Cats were hunted instead of being hunters.
Chris Scott needs to fix this mental problem

View attachment 1979606
We are 7-1 and just lost our first game by 8 points. I very much doubt any mental problems exist.

J Henry's game wasn't so bad, but that boo boo with Fritsch was unforgivable. He assumed the ball was going over the line and slowed up on the boundry side of Fritsch giving him access to the goal and enough space to take a pot. It killed off Geelong's chances. It's a tough way to learn a lesson but he won't do that next time.
Yep, he misjudged it. Kill the friggen ball when its in a dangerous spot like that near the boundary in the last. Kill the friggen ball!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Was a fluke shot by Fristchhead all the same.
Who is that cartoon character he reminds me of?
Jughead. Someone?

Edit: Found it: it's Butt Head from Beavis and Butt head.

Last edited:
Yeah, the board is unreadable when players - kids, ones in their prime or veterans - are written off with such permanency and hyperbole for a bad game.

It is absolutely fine to call a spade for spade, which would amount to "J.Henry had a shocker, with costly errors today". Why people feel the need to make out as if the punishment should be 3 months in the GFL or be sent to the retirement village, I have no idea.

It is different with Hawkins as at least his dry spell has lasted a month and he is 36. Fair enough, the signs are there. Although I thought he got more involved in general play today - even if it didn't come off. As for the others being "thrown in the bin" after generally performing well in a 7-1 start: people seriously need to get a life, or a brain, or both.
Said it a couple weeks ago that there is no semblance of nuance.

It's a BigFooty and media problem as a whole, not just here, so I don't want to single anyone out...but it's true.

You're right though, it can't be: "Jeez Jack Henry was poor, he'd want to be better next week, and I think he will be".

Instead, it's: "I think we have to question if Jack Henry was EVER good. He's a long way from his 2021 form, and we have to question if he'll ever get back there".

Same goes with Duncan, as you mention.

It should be: "He's had a really solid start to the year. Not quite the player he once was, but he's still well entrenched in our best 22. Poor tonight, but I expect him to bounce back next week".

But instead, it is: "Duncan has to play VFL for the year. It's time, and the game has gone past him".

Said it a couple weeks ago that there is no semblance of nuance.

It's a BigFooty and media problem as a whole, not just here, so I don't want to single anyone out...but it's true.

You're right though, it can't be: "Jeez Jack Henry was poor, he'd want to be better next week, and I think he will be".

Instead, it's: "I think we have to question if Jack Henry was EVER good. He's a long way from his 2021 form, and we have to question if he'll ever get back there".

Same goes with Duncan, as you mention.

It should be: "He's had a really solid start to the year. Not quite the player he once was, but he's still well entrenched in our best 22. Poor tonight, but I expect him to bounce back next week".

But instead, it is: "Duncan has to play VFL for the year. It's time, and the game has gone past him".
It's sh*t to read alright but a lot of that is just venting frustration at losing the game, I reckon. "Bah, punish everyone! Build a gallows, because I'm pissed off!!"

It's sh*t to read alright but a lot of that is just venting frustration at losing the game, I reckon. "Bah, punish everyone! Build a gallows, because I'm pissed off!!"
Don't worry, I get it, I just think we should be better as a whole.

If people want to burn the joint down after every loss and retire/delist players, there's a club in North Melbourne in dire need of support.

**No, seriously. Like they ACTUALLY need people to support them.

Zach Guthrie is such a good mark under pressure. He hardly ever gets worried out of it. You wonder how he can do it when so few others can. Stewart and Stengle can do it. Most players go to jelly as soon as they feel pressure or even perceive pressure.

I wonder when the last time we got smacked 16-8 in contested marks was. Can't remember the last time we were as inept in the air as we were tonight.
Stanley, Blicavs, Hawkins, JHenry, SDK used to take contested marks but hardly ever do now. I'm not sure how the coaches can address that.

Was a fluke shot by Fristchhead all the same.
Who is that cartoon character he reminds me of?
Jughead. Someone?

Edit: Found it: it's Butt Head from Beavis and Butt head.

Have a look at nic Cox from the bombers noggin .
1714840788649.png

Beavis And Butthead Comedy GIF by Paramount+

everything anyone over 30 did last night just didnt work.

It was just one of those nights.

If we were 4-4 we'd be lamenting the closing of past eras.

We aint - we are 7-1 and lost by 8 points in a game that both sides played like s**t - and we had chances to win it and just didnt take them. And the team we lost to is Top 4 @ 6-2. Not the end of the world

There are some extended form issues but even with Hawk he was still involved in many link up chains of play that led to scoring chances that were missed ( not his fault ) and he had to tackle Lever and May all night usually 2 on 1.

F50 entries were rubbish and we have all lamented ball skills so while yes Hawkins has been down its not like its just him - especially last night.

And as has been mentioned, the younger ones were the ones that kept us in it. Far more depressing if it was still the old guard making us competitive while the younger kids were invisible.

GO Catters

SDK at 204cm sure does struggle to spoil much smaller forwards. His timing seems to be the problem and he needs to work on his closing speed. I'm still hoping he gets back to playing like he did in his first year at Geelong.
2022 was his 3rd year I think and im pretty sure thats the vintage you want - Yr 1 was nothing great but it shows the point - development takes time and SDK is still developing. hes only just 23 i think.

GO Catters

Hard to judge his evening tonight.

May is probably the best full back in the comp ahead of Weitering.

Hawkins wasn't great; but he wasn't terrible either.

Dished off some good handballs in transition and nearly made a couple of very good kicks into the F50.

A goal (or two) would have been nice.

I think next week against Esava at home will give us a really good indication of where Tom is at.
Below his lofty standard set over 354 games but hes played much worse too.

And he set up others and like the saying goes.... if you are having a shocker... get others involved and he did.

Tomma didnt kick any goals but at least did that.
Mitch Duncan was OOF and had toruble even getting into scoring chains when thats his 1 wood.....

Holding off on the obituaries but content has been collected.

GO Catters

everything anyone over 30 did last night just didnt work.

It was just one of those nights.

If we were 4-4 we'd be lamenting the closing of past eras.

We aint - we are 7-1 and lost by 8 points in a game that both sides played like s**t - and we had chances to win it and just didnt take them. And the team we lost to is Top 4 @ 6-2. Not the end of the world

There are some extended form issues but even with Hawk he was still involved in many link up chains of play that led to scoring chances that were missed ( not his fault ) and he had to tackle Lever and May all night usually 2 on 1.

F50 entries were rubbish and we have all lamented ball skills so while yes Hawkins has been down its not like its just him - especially last night.

And as has been mentioned, the younger ones were the ones that kept us in it. Far more depressing if it was still the old guard making us competitive while the younger kids were invisible.

GO Catters
We are still every chance of being top 2 after the GWS game and every single one of us would have bitten hands off at the start of the season if someone offered that. Just a terrible night at the office. If it is rectified next week, we are back on course. It doesn't excuse a flat and sloppy performance, but every team in the league has had at least one of those so far (usually two or more).

No Cat fan likes losing, but I do think there are good signs for the future. As others have said, this was one time where the lesser lights and the younger ones probably carried the game right up to their opponents. And when it's all said and done, Gawn, Oliver, Viney and Petracca are really like what we had 15 years ago with Ottens, Corey, Bartel and Ling. They are elite players, and it's hard to get the best of them all game. But we almost did, and had chances to win the game right up to the end. Zuthrie now is about the most composed player in the team, Jye Clark played his best game for us and kicked his maiden goal, Bowes, Bruhn (until injured) and Dempsey were all pretty good too.

We're nowhere near the invincible Cats of yore, we're a hardworking side with plenty of talented players, but an engine that's missing it's main cylinder (Danger) and we've been able to win games like against the Bulldogs and Blues despite being smashed in the midfield. At 7-1 it's far from the end of the world. We still have seven more games at K.P, and i reckon we'll really appreciate being back home next week to play Port. Chris Scott is probably trying to find a way to spread the midfield minutes around a wide group of players, but in-game injuries the last two weeks doesn't help that part of things.

JC I am sure in a month of Sundays won't replicate those shots at goal again, and he has lots of credits in the bank. Tom also, he was a bit more involved today, part of me wonders if the rest against norf might have perhaps missed a chance for him to get a bit more 'rhythm' with his play, as his recent opponents have been elite players. In the end it was the unexpected clunks by Petty (a bloke who this year has looked as useless as anything I've seen on a footy field) and of course the defensive play of May and Lever who interrupted many of our forward forays. The Dees also smothered well and even on a few occasions, like when Geelong punched the Pickett entry in the last quarter, it winds up landing back down his throat for a goal. The Dees went from 5.14 to 10.14 in the last, and truth be told, we were lucky they kicked so badly earlier in the game. Geelong won last week with good kicking, but again, the Blues' 2.9 could have been 6.5 and we'd have been behind had they kicked straight.

We are still building, still competing but there will be days it doesn't go our way. But we're not the side that is unbeatable, and losses here and there will likely come. It's what we can learn from them, do better in future and also just the development of the younger players that can stand us in better stead in the future. We'll get Port next week and I'm confident we will see a much better Geelong then.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back