Prediction Cats v Hawks - the best of the best since 1989. Who’d win?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Teams posted on AFL website today.

GEELONG 1989 - 2020
B:Corey Enright, Matthew Scarlett, Tim McGrath
HB: Michael Mansfield, Harry Taylor, Ken Hinkley
C: Joel Corey, Joel Selwood, Garry Hocking
HF: Patrick Dangerfield, Tom Hawkins, Jimmy Bartel
F: Paul Chapman, Gary Ablett snr, Steve Johnson
R: Brad Ottens, Gary Ablett jnr, Paul Couch
Inter: Cameron Ling, Peter Riccardi, Darren Milburn, Bill Brownless
Coach: Mark Thompson

HAWTHORN 1989-2020
B: Gary Ayres, Chris Langford, Josh Gibson
HB: Luke Hodge, Chris Mew, Grant Birchall
C: Robert DiPierdomenico, Sam Mitchell, Shaun Burgoyne
HF: Cyril Rioli, Dermott Brereton, Luke Breust
F: Lance Franklin, Jason Dunstall, John Platten
R: Ben McEvoy, Michael Tuck, Shane Crawford
Inter: Jarryd Roughead, Jordan Lewis, Brian Lake, Tom Mitchell
Coach: Alastair Clarkson

The heart says Cats. Some tantalising battles - Scarlett v Dunstall; Brereton v Taylor; Langford v Ablett Senior; and Enright v Platten.
Cats’ midfield looks very classy and runs deep.

GEELONG 1989 - 2020
B:Corey Enright, Matthew Scarlett,Harry Taylor
HB: Andrew Mackie, Barry Stoneham Ken Hinkley
C: Joel Corey, Joel Selwood, Garry Hocking
HF: Patrick Dangerfield, Tom Hawkins, Jimmy Bartel
F: Paul Chapman, Gary Ablett snr, Steve Johnson
R: Brad Ottens, Gary Ablett jnr, Paul Couch
Inter: Cameron Ling, Peter Riccardi, Bairstow, Damion Burke
Coach: Mark Thompson
Burke for Brownless (2genuine rucks),Mark Bairstow for Milburn,Stoneham for McGrath and Mackie for Mansfield.
Now we win.

Last edited:
I reckon if you swap Hawkins for Stoneham we win probably in the modern game.
Actually it's 50/50 on if Ablett kicks straight.
You know Dunstall will.
If it's 89 rules they'd take out too many of our players.
Bring in Yeates, Shocking, Bruns, Bews for Billy, Jimmy, Mansfield Danger
and then if Ablett kicks straight we'd win.

Has their been a father and son play in the same team in the modern era?

I’d say it was more likely in the games earlier era’s.
Not the same sport but Kim Jong Il & Kim Jong Un blow the Abletts away.
Jong Il having never played golf before scored 5 holes in one!
Jong Un on his first game did even better.
Gotta be the best F/S combo in history.

The 3 changes id have

(1) McGrath - out - anywhere near the "shadows' of the goal posts - then Timmy for some bizarre reason would get the jitters . I can remember a game against Melb - and Allen Jackovich playing FF - had 6 or 7 on the board to half time - Tim had a serious case of the goal square jitters that day . In the 2nd half Andrew Rogers ( a so so player ) was moved onto to Jackovich - and Jackovich didnt get a kick - and didnt look like getting a kick . The only thing i will give McGrath - is Carey use to annihilate 99.99999% of opponents - and using that as a mean statistical average - McGrath went ok against the King

(2) Brownless out - No no no no no - just no where near any best team

(3) Out M Thompson - because he is a disgrace - that bloke when being interviewed has got more bullshiit and spin and excuses than Donald Trump

The 3 changes id have

(1) McGrath - out - anywhere near the "shadows' of the goal posts - then Timmy for some bizarre reason would get the jitters . I can remember a game against Melb - and Allen Jackovich playing FF - had 6 or 7 on the board to half time - Tim had a serious case of the goal square jitters that day . In the 2nd half Andrew Rogers ( a so so player ) was moved onto to Jackovich - and Jackovich didnt get a kick - and didnt look like getting a kick . The only thing i will give McGrath - is Carey use to annihilate 99.99999% of opponents - and using that as a mean statistical average - McGrath went ok against the King

(3) Out M Thompson - because he is a disgrace - that bloke when being interviewed has got more bullshiit and spin and excuses than Donald Trump
That means you'd have to leave GazSnr out too. Probably Bartel too now I guess.
McGrath cause of exploits against Nth always makes me think he was a bit better than he actually was too.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The 3 changes id have

Wasn't that McGraths first game?. And Timmy had Careys measure every game against NM

Wasn't that McGraths first game?. And Timmy had Careys measure every game against NM
I remember his first game against a young lion at the GABBA and the bloke next to me repeatedly saying how do you like that McGrath as an 18 year old Bradshaw tore him a new one.It was a torturous couple of hours for both of us.

I cant remember seeing how long ago it was - but who played on Carey ( and he might have had multiple Geel opponents on the night ) in that 97 Qual final at MCG against North

Carey kicked 7 goals - in arguably his best ever game ( he has got alot to choose from however ) - it would certainly be in his best 3 career games ever

I cant remember seeing how long ago it was - but who played on Carey ( and he might have had multiple Geel opponents on the night ) in that 97 Qual final at MCG against North

Carey kicked 7 goals - in arguably his best ever game ( he has got alot to choose from however ) - it would certainly be in his best 3 career games ever
Stoneham. At least for a fair bit of it anyway.

That means you'd have to leave GazSnr out too. Probably Bartel too now I guess.
McGrath cause of exploits against Nth always makes me think he was a bit better than he actually was too.
Why so GAS and Bartel outs?

If I'm looking at it being as neutral as possible, i'd say the Hawks best since 1989 wins. There is no shame in that however. They have 2 all-time great teams that make up their players since 89 where as we have 1. On the plus side, i'd say our best since 89 side would be the only one in the league to challenge the Hawks.

Well if your leaving Bomber out on character grounds....
Not that I agree with leaving anyone out for that stuff. Judging them as footy people not as people.
I'm not leaving out GAS from any best of team.
Bartel? What is his issue?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back