Preview Changes and Preview Round 3 Power v Demons Saturday 7pm at AO

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
They are completely hung up on Williams lack of leg speed.. one armed bollards ok though
You're better off running fast to get close enough to fumble and triple grab the ball than having clean skills and being an excellent user of the ball

They are completely hung up on Williams lack of leg speed.. one armed bollards ok though
Yep. Hinkley's Port loves selecting players on their perceived attributes rather than on what they actually do.

I'm genuinely curious as to what it would take for McEntee to get dropped. If a one disposal game doesn't do it, there may be literally nothing.
Hinkley is still obviously convinced that selecting a pressure forward is helping despite applying the fact he applies bugger all pressure.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hinkley is still obviously convinced that selecting a pressure forward is helping despite applying the fact he applies bugger all pressure.
Yes. See this:

Yep. Hinkley's Port loves selecting players on their perceived attributes rather than on what they actually do.
McEntee's perceived attribute is 'pressure forward'. The fact that he doesn't actually apply any more pressure than other forwards who also actually kick goals doesn't matter. His perceived attributes do.

Ditto Williams getting dropped for being 'too slow' despite having more positive impact on games than a quicker Lachie Jones. Ditto Sam Hayes never getting a go because he was perceived to be poor around the ground despite Lycett and Teakle never doing anything around the ground either. Ditto Quinton Narkle never getting a go because he's perceived to be poor defensively (which begs the question why we bothered to recruit him in the first place?) Perception is more important than output at Port.

I'm genuinely curious as to what it would take for McEntee to get dropped. If a one disposal game doesn't do it, there may be literally nothing.
The thing is we know at the end of his contract he'll be quietly delisted, with him joining the honour roll of small forwards who got at least 40 too many games. I blame our list management team as much as Ken. They knew you can't leave small forwards who make little impact on our list, as depth players, as Ken will keep picking them, even when better options are fit.

The mythical pressure tackling beast has returned. An absolute no brainer for the bald cult leader mastermind.

What an honour to watch the Harlem Globetrotter himself get that ever so rare 1 magical touch. You pay to see it.

TBH I'd rather give Narkle a run as a forward for a few weeks over McEntee & Evans, I'm not sure why we even drafted him at this point he appears to be in nowhere land at selection.
It's hard to justify McEntee getting such favouritism over multiple players.

If you think Williams should be dropped I’ve got a bridge to sell you
I never said that. I think he should be in the team. But he's not competing with McEntee/Evans for a spot, and was in the team because we don't really worry about the position of the 23rd player.

Just that there will be far greater reasons to melt over selections this season than returning to our round 1 balance of players, with a forward as sub again.

I never said that. I think he should be in the team. But he's not competing with McEntee/Evans for a spot, and was in the team because we don't really worry about the position of the 23rd player.

Just that there will be far greater reasons to melt over selections this season than returning to our round 1 balance of players, with a forward as sub again.

Nobody but you said he was.
Williams should not be the 23rd player.
He’s best 18.
You think everyone is talking about McEntee. We aren’t.

Could it be possible that in addition to being arguably the hardest position to play on the ground in general that being a small forward in our crowded forward flood long bombs to Dixon system probably isn't conducive to dominant small forwards kicking lots of goals and getting big stats? How many small forwards have rotated through this system over the years and been considered spuds by this board? Even Chad Wingard who had been AA in 2013 and 2015 became far less effective when we started this system in 2016. Only GOAT tier Robbie Gray has bucked this trend.

As far as I can see McEntee is a pretty reliable player with a good skillset. I don't really care about the numbers, when he does get the footy he's a good user and decision maker, he's a good set shot and his tackling is excellent. I think if you put him in a system that catered to small forwards he'd put up decent numbers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back