Preview Changes and Preview v West Coast - PRELIM EDITION

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

I like Jimmy Bartel, and again he's spot on

I think he's right, and while we've won two finals, i am worried about these high balls we bomb in, we don't seem as composed going inside 50 then when we last played WCE. That said we've still done it, just not at the same level prior to the finals.

The bombs did not work at all in the 2nd term against Hawthron, we repeatedly gave them the ball back and then they played their game style from there. We know how to beat West Coast, and we need to do almost exactly what we did last time.

Other than that, the Marking power of WCE up forward concerns me more this time around
Spot on from Jimmy. We can't afford to panic when the ball goes near their smalls and just hack the ball away. Need some real good distribution from Salem, Hibberd and Lewis off half back. More importantly, we're quite clearly a superior contested team and have to make the advantage be felt at bounces. Mitchell has taught them to shark opposition taps, so we need to make sure our tackling pressure is ferocious and Gawny is in sync with the inside mids. They will get off the chain plenty, you can't avoid Kennedy all day, but we need to outscore them rather than try and play a defensive game style that doesn't work.

I agree, but how often do you get your best 18 players all together, let alone 22?

If I had everyone in form and fully fit, this is the team I'd name rd 1 next year.

FB: Jetta, McDonald, Lever
HB: Salem, Frost, Hibberd
C: Hogan, Brayshaw, Fritsch
HF: Petracca, Weideman, Melksham
FF: Spargo, McDonald, ANB
R: Gawn, Oliver, Viney
IC: Jones, Lewis, Hunt, Harmes

That leaves Tyson, vandenBerg, Hannan, Kent, Stretch and Garlett all out in the cold. But then Lever, Hibberd, Hogan, McDonald, Viney, Hunt have all spent time on the sidelines with injury this year. I think the idea of a best 22 is antiquated, you should have a group of 15-18 that are locked in and a few spots that are up for grabs for the best trainers and the best VFL players. In the team I've just named, I'd say Frost, Weideman, Fritsch, Spargo, ANB and Hunt would be the guys that could easily roll out to accomodate the next six if they lost form for a few weeks.
Which is why it's crucial that we get something back if we trade Tyson. If we're letting him go, we need to make up for the loss of depth, because it's a big asset. In fact, we should be taking all opportunities to trade surplus players for options which improve our list.

Both Damo and Jay Clark saying the contract we offered Tyson is well help what he wants and as such an will be elsewhere next year.
Sounds like crap. Why would we, mid-finals, be offering a contract to a bloke who's already contracted for next year ?

Don't understand this pov. We rushed him back for the finals with a broken arm, and yet we don't really rate him?
Because our list this year will be different to next. You've already got Hogan taking his spot which makes him a reserves player. With Viney Oliver Brayshaw Harmes and Petracca you have 5 inside mids who Tyson will not pass in the future.

Sure id love to keep Tyson in the reserves for the rest of his career as backup but why would he want to play there? Miles at Richmond has hardly played in 2 years due to the tigs midfield depth. Does Tyson want that? If we could get a 2nd round pick this year for him or let him play another year in the reserves and get a 4th for him why would we do the latter.

Sounds like crap. Why would we, mid-finals, be offering a contract to a bloke who's already contracted for next year ?

Because players in contract have more value than players OOC.
His management has probably had multiple offers which would dwarf what we could afford.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

**** these airline prices are a disgrace, surely next time the AFL is negotiating with its airline partner its put in the contract that prices are kept more reasonable for footy fans.

May be considered a restraint of trade?

One of the lawyers amongst us will know.

Sorry to intrude , Just popped in to wish you guys the best of luck against West coast. I Will be singing the song with as much gusto as most of you guys if you get up .I really hope you can go all the way.
If we non traveling Dees give out codes to Freo fans can you try and turn the atmosphere for us?

Maybe so that the club can decide to trade him in October, rather than potentially lose him as a free agent next year?
Tyson isn't a free agent. You have to spend eight consecutive years at one club to qualify, not just eight years in the competition. Makes no sense why he'd be offered a contract this far out given he is a non-essential player.

Im sick of hearing how they didnt have Kennedy when we beat them 5 weeks ago. He looked horrible last week and pulled up sore.

Yet there has been no mention of us not having Viney who has been our best player in the finals

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Reckon Jay Kennedy-Harris was pretty stiff to be the one to head back to Casey for Viney’s return. At the time I would of had Spargo missing but he’s played well this finals series.

JKH had impressed since getting back into the team this year especially his defensive pressure which is a focus of the way we play, averaging 4.67 tackles a game, his style suits our game plan perfectly.

Watching the VFL Saturday I took a keen interest to see how he performed, he was immense with his pressure on the ball carrier and his tackling was tough and hard. Looking at the stats, 20 possies 11 tackles.

I’d be happy for him to come in this week, probably for Tyson who’d be unlucky but really doesn’t perform at his best unless he’s playing that inside mid role.

Hard to believe he’s gone from top of the delist pile earlier in the year to now in my finals 22, I think he’d improve our premiership chances.

Reckon Jay Kennedy-Harris was pretty stiff to be the one to head back to Casey for Viney’s return. At the time I would of had Spargo missing but he’s played well this finals series.

JKH had impressed since getting back into the team this year especially his defensive pressure which is a focus of the way we play, averaging 4.67 tackles a game, his style suits our game plan perfectly.

Watching the VFL Saturday I took a keen interest to see how he performed, he was immense with his pressure on the ball carrier and his tackling was tough and hard. Looking at the stats, 20 possies 11 tackles.

I’d be happy for him to come in this week, probably for Tyson who’d be unlucky but really doesn’t perform at his best unless he’s playing that inside mid role.

Hard to believe he’s gone from top of the delist pile earlier in the year to now in my finals 22, I think he’d improve our premiership chances.

I suspect you're on your own mate. Its nice to see JKH has found his feet at AFL level, if only so he can get a crack with a bottom four club to help out and hopefully extend his career. I like his tackling pressure and marking ability for a small midfielder, but he was only in the team as a late change for Hannan in rd 23 and I really don't see the point in upsetting the balance now that we've won two finals. Tyson is a much better and a much smarter footy player than JKH, even if JKH is a better tackler, and both are slow as * meaning that JKH doesn't really have the added pace we'd like off a wing that someone like an in-form Stretch or Hunt would bring. This seems a case of very much overthinking things.

Managed to get myself a couple of tickets to the game, can't wait.

popped over to this board a few times to say how much I enjoy watching Angus Brayshaw play, his last few games have been phenomenal. Hopefully he finds another gear and puts the scum to the sword for his brother.

Best of luck guys - go Dees!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back