Unofficial Preview Changes & Discussion Round 3 v Magpies @ Gabba Easter Thursday.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reminder!

We're still looking for the most beloved of BF Lions Board posters - preview writers!

M Malice

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Valleys. Chelsea.
Outs- Oscar McInerney, Jarrod Berry, Connor McKenna(inj), Darcy Gardiner(inj), Zac Bailey, Jarryd Lyons.

Ins- Darcy Fort, Kai Lohmann, James Tunstill, Lachie Neale, Tom Doedee🤞, Harry Sharp.

Cam Rayner still on notice.

A must win considering we're at home, it's 0-3 if we lose and Collingwood have had the same short pre-season that we have had.

More curious on everyone’s thoughts on how the bye will impact us? Does it essentially become another Round 1 match where we are rusty? It usually takes every team 2-4 games to start the year to really hit their straps and eliminate any off season rust. Playing two games(In which we have been well below our best) and having a bye could see us come out very flat and rusty for another week or two?

Hope I’m wrong but we always seem to be a team that needs a few matches under our belt to get going.

More curious on everyone’s thoughts on how the bye will impact us? Does it essentially become another Round 1 match where we are rusty? It usually takes every team 2-4 games to start the year to really hit their straps and eliminate any off season rust. Playing two games(In which we have been well below our best) and having a bye could see us come out very flat and rusty for another week or two?

Hope I’m wrong but we always seem to be a team that needs a few matches under our belt to get going.
Didn't hurt us in the QF

I appreciate that this is controversial, but it’s time for Charlie Cameron to tell Fagan he needs a few weeks in the reserves.

Only one or two changes. We are dreaming if the axe will be swung, especially on a couple of players we know would never be dropped.

We need a spark of youth through the middle and up forward. Bring in Tunstill and Bruce. Is Doedee really ready?

Only one or two changes. We are dreaming if the axe will be swung, especially on a couple of players we know would never be dropped.

We need a spark of youth through the middle and up forward. Bring in Tunstill and Bruce. Is Doedee really ready?
A statement has to be made. It never has under Fagan’s reign and in order to remove players thinking that they can take there spot for granted a Rayner, Berry or McInerney must be dropped.

A statement has to be made. It never has under Fagan’s reign and in order to remove players thinking that they can take there spot for granted a Rayner, Berry or McInerney must be dropped.

Oh don’t worry. I agree with you. Fagan will never do it though because it will hurt some feelings and we can’t have that now

Oh don’t worry. I agree with you. Fagan will never do it though because it will hurt some feelings and we can’t have that now
There s a part of me that commends Fagan’s loyalty to players but the other is that he’s loyal to the point that it is detrimental to them team and players literally take there places for granted

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Agree a statement needs to be made. Berry & Big O out. Charlie looks underdone too. However, not sure how much a personnel change will do to improve performance.

The big difference for me so far this year is that our depth seems to have evaporated somewhat. Rich, Gunston, Matheson, even Cockatoo all more runs on the board than Lohmann, Tunstill, Robertsen etc.

Again, the tempo side of our game looked rotten. Lots to be concerned about right now.

Out: big early game leads
In: opposition big early game leads

In all seriousness, much will depend on injuries. My guess, all things going well, is that JL will be sub. Neale and Doedee in. No idea who comes out. Probably Lohmann and Answerth.

Last edited:
The ones who need to be dropped won’t be and the ones that will be dropped are the usual yo-yos. How many times have we been here for nothing to happen? Any wonder these guys don’t have that desperation other teams do when it counts?

I’d love to see this but now it won’t happen:

Backs:
Starcevich, Andrews, Lester
Brain, Payne, Wilmott

Mids:
Dunkley, Smith, Neale
Fletcher, Rayner, McCluggage

Forwards:
McCarthy, Hipwood, Bailey
Lohmann, Daniher, Zorko

Bench:
Cameron, Robertson, Tunstill, Sharp, Fort

Give these other blokes who never get a chance and shot and drop the glaringly poor ones who never got dropped but need it.

Gardner and Mckenna out due to injuries. Maybe Payne and Doedee will replace them. Possibly Prior. Zorko to half back in the Kiddy role. Doedee being the bench interchange for the Backline in his first game back. He'll be underdone.
Neale obviously for Lyons who showed today time has taken its toll.
Controversially I would drop Rayner and include Fort to rotate through as 3rd tall forward and Ruck. Oscar will be up against 2 Rucks. Rayner simply does not work hard enough and Joe just doesn't Ruck.
I would tag Nick Daicos with Answerth. I was not impressed with Devs effort to allow 43 possessions from Serong. Noah would be more of a Pest and stick like glue.
So out Mckenna,Gardner,Rayner,Robertson and in Payne or Prior,Doedee,Fort,Neale

On SM-A525F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Gardner and Mckenna out due to injuries. Maybe Payne and Doedee will replace them. Possibly Prior. Zorko to half back in the Kiddy role. Doedee being the bench interchange for the Backline in his first game back. He'll be underdone.
Neale obviously for Lyons who showed today time has taken its toll.
Controversially I would drop Rayner and include Fort to rotate through as 3rd tall forward and Ruck. Oscar will be up against 2 Rucks. Rayner simply does not work hard enough and Joe just doesn't Ruck.
I would tag Nick Daicos with Answerth. I was not impressed with Devs effort to allow 43 possessions from Serong. Noah would be more of a Pest and stick like glue.
So out Mckenna,Gardner,Rayner,Robertson and in Payne or Prior,Doedee,Fort,Neale

On SM-A525F using BigFooty.com mobile app
Rayner has as much chance of getting dropped as 2 hotties coming up to me and saying how about it.

Rayner has as much chance of getting dropped as 2 hotties coming up to me and saying how about it.

Fagan and co needed to drop Rayner when we were playing well and he isn't. Not possible this week with so many other players out of form.

Also, don't lead BRAB and Nunez on like that.

Outs- Oscar McInerney, Jarrod Berry, Connor McKenna(inj), Darcy Gardiner(inj), Zac Bailey, Jarryd Lyons.

Ins- Darcy Fort, Kai Lohmann, James Tunstill, Lachie Neale, Tom Doedee🤞, Harry Sharp.

Cam Rayner still on notice.

6 outs? Easy tiger. Calm the farm and take a breath Jason.

Anyone got actual evidence where changing 1/3 of the team brought about a positive result?

Fagan and co needed to drop Rayner when we were playing well and he isn't. Not possible this week with so many other players out of form.

Also, don't lead BRAB and Nunez on like that.

Cam was nowhere near worst on ground.

There were many problems with last nights game - the biggest of which was our inside mids not being able to win clearances.

They were +12 in clearances when comparing starting mids v starting mids.

A glaring weakness is JL not adding anything other than contested ball winning. When he's not winning clearances, he adds next to nothing.

The coaches identified he wasn't winning enough ball and tried to share the load, but IMO that was a problem in of itself. Nobody looked settled in the middle outside of Dunks and Hugh. The pattern kept repeating itself and the game was lost.

With Cam - I don't think it's any coincidence that when we finally started giving him proper midfield minutes (the fourth quarter) we had our best quarter. He was able to work his way into the game, albeit much too late.

Looking ahead to the Pies, I think we need to make changes in both personal and strategy.

Firstly, the ins and outs:

In:
Neale, Doedee, Lohmann, Payne*

Out:
Lyons, McKenna, Lester, Gardiner*

Neale for Lyons is a no brainer.

Lohmann IMO needs to start a game as HFF. Playing as a sub is never easy and would like to see him given a genuine chance to start and play the role he knows how to play.

Zorko to play HBF.

Doedee and Payne/Gardiner to complete the backline setup. Lester would be the one to go. I'd stick with Dizzy if fit. If not, I'll be hoping Payne has a blinder in the VFL next weekend.

Tactically, I think the coaches will have recognised Rayners contribution when given midfield minutes. My hope is that we have Neale and Dunks staying on the ball for most of the game and use Robertson and Rayner as ball hunting mids when they rotate on the ball. I'd be trying to give Cam as much time on the ball as possible in the last ten minutes of each quarter. As players tire, his strength will be even more of a benefit.

Dev wasn't good last night, but equally it was his first hitout and will be better for the run. I'd be playing him in the VFL match this weekend.

Lastly, Berry needs to move back to the wing. It is just not working down back. Week one was enough for me, but week two was absolutely the nail in the Berry back coffin for me. We are literally missing his running power up the field.

Ultimately, I think tactics and using players better are both important things we need to address, but above all else the coaches need to get to the bottom of this teams sheer lack of confidence and find a way to fix that. The belief looks non existent. We have two weeks to fix it, but fix it we must.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back