Unofficial Preview Changes & Discussion Round 3 v Magpies @ Gabba Easter Thursday.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reminder!

We're still looking for the most beloved of BF Lions Board posters - preview writers!

Surely we get some young wingers into this side. We have Sharp and Tunstill ripe for the picking but never give them a chance to shine. Meanwhile we're happy to see Berry, Bailey and Rayner underperform week in and week out!. It is time to swing the Axe Mr Fagan.

Been most disappointed in our so called elite forward line. Outside of McCarthy there has been no desire to compete. Champaign football sums it up nicely and obviously living off the media hype. I get the inside 50 deliveries have been fairly poor but the Lions are averaging an insane 59 inside 50s this year. That amount of opportunities you'd think we'd be scoring more goals. FFS. Too weak in the contest, too slow, and too lazy. Do we really have to watch Joe flop at every contest for the whole year? I'm sick of it. When is Fagan going to have a chat to these soft blokes and tell them to play team football and pull their heads in.

Rayner has as much chance of getting dropped as 2 hotties coming up to me and saying how about it.
He will never be dropped.. Not like he does not try he just fumbles and gets lost to wear the ball is.
Yes in the VFL a couple of weeks 100% mid might help, not gonna happen.

I did think he played more consistent off the HB last year. Then he had to go forward and had a great game think kicked 4 goals.
Then the HB experiment was over, although he always has 3-4 games a year you think wow it clicked.
Some guys play better behind the ball he might just be one of them.

With Oscar if he not carrying something I be surprised he just does not seem to be able to mark anymore.
Berry if his shoulder so stuffed and cannot get in and dirty.. do we just give Sharp, Tunstill, Prior, Lohmann or Carter a extended go.

Been most disappointed in our so called elite forward line. Outside of McCarthy there has been no desire to compete. Champaign football sums it up nicely and obviously living off the media hype. I get the inside 50 deliveries have been fairly poor but the Lions are averaging an insane 59 inside 50s this year. That amount of opportunities you'd think we'd be scoring more goals. FFS. Too weak in the contest, too slow, and too lazy. Do we really have to watch Joe flop at every contest for the whole year? I'm sick of it. When is Fagan going to have a chat to these soft blokes and tell them to play team football and pull their heads in.
I agree Joe been great outside 50m..
Him and Hipwood do not like any body contact.. I think McStay missed more then people thought he be

I'm not a big kneejerk responder, I'd rather sit out of it but the inability of most of our forwards to fight through contact to at least impact a contest (McCarthy included) drives me nuts. They try to get to the drop, bump into their opponent playing in front and then throw their hands up - it's not a free kick (the player doesn't move off their line), it's rarely paid even when it is, and basically screws the team because it's coming straight back out after we'd set up on an attack.

I agree Joe been great outside 50m..
Him and Hipwood do not like any body contact.. I think McStay missed more then people thought he be
Said all along we should’ve done more to keep him including offering more dollars and longevity. Perhaps that still wouldn’t have been enough but where else do you get KPF in their prime? Unfortunately our recruiters are also inept at picking ones late in the draft like other clubs have with Larkey, Mitch Lewis or Armartey and I think we took Starc over Oscar Allen to.

The sooner people accept what Rayner is rather than what they want him to be we might get somewhere with him. He's now lost confidence and struggles to pick it up when he gets near it.

If ever there was a game where he and Bailey needed to step up and exert themselves that was it. I'm not buying anything about the last quarter. They had 2 on the bench , Serong had foot poisoning and they were understandably tired. Whereas we couldn't have been surely.

You can't play M/F unless you have the capacity to get up and back and be accountable. The same thing we criticise Lyons for these 2 have in spades. Not against popping them in for a centre clearance every now and then but Bailey looked lost at that as well.

Definitely will be a big week at selection table. Lot of potential changes due to injuries but also lot of guys way out of form who should be dropped but maybe is too many at once

Neale is an obvious straight in. Lyons is weirdly playing ok inside but still such a massive reason for our lack of run. I probably would drop him.

Gardiner out - Payne was bad last week (confidence is shot but he's not alone in that) but it was clear that once Gardiner was off that Lester couldnt go with the bigger guys. We were getting caught out too often by Treacy, Amiss and Jackson pushing forward. Harris was immense but he couldnt do it all. We need a bigger lockdown guy and neither Lester or Doedee (especially first up) can play that role

McKenna out - clearly rushed back and needs to get it right. I think we have to go to Prior. No one else has the mix of ball use and defensive capabilities. Prior has always been first dropped, maybe he needs a solid run.

Berry has not worked in the back line and hasnt done wing time. Sharp or Tunstill have both shown enough to get a solid 3 week run.

I havent been happy with what I've seen from Lohman (starting to wonder if he is a bust) BUT I agree we have done him no favours (we dont seem to give any of our kids favours). He hasnt got a good run in his natural spot and he is not a good sub option. Give him a good run in the forward line (either in the pocket or on the flank) or drop him. We need a better sub option.

Fort and Prior are the two obvious ins for mine in place of Berry and McInerney.

If Gardiner is out then Payne obviously comes back in.

If Neale is fit, he comes if for McKenna.

Outside of that we are BARE of what is left and I guess you could make a case for Tunstill or Sharp at the expense of a Lyons, Lohmann or Answerth but I’d be minded to go left centre and go with someone like Bruce Reville and see what he offers at senior level, couldn’t be any worse than half the team that just take their positions for granted.

Not blooding the youngsters in more prominent roles (when say certain players should have been rested) could come back to bite this year. We will see. Dev looked lost playing in the midfield rotations yesterday…

What do the likes of Rayner Bailey and dev actually do in training when they do play midfield minutes? They don’t do a lot when given the go at AFL level. Very passive. Seeing serong and that blonde kid from Fremantle tear us apart was pathetic.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not blooding the youngsters in more prominent roles could come back to bite this year. We will see. Dev looked lost playing in the midfield rotations yesterday…

What do the likes of Rayner Bailey and dev actually do in training when they do play midfield minutes? They don’t do a lot when given the go at AFL level. Very passive.
I think he was underdone yesterday . And then spent time shadowing Serong. He deserves another go.

As for the other 2 they're getting a reputation in the footy world for being show ponies.

I know I implied mAkE WhoLeSaLe cHanGEs in that other thread, but the truth is, there's bugger all in reserve to replace anyone with.
This is the issue. Who do we replace them with?? Wouldn't be one player who is knocking down the door demanding to be played. I'm all for giving a youngster a chance but you can't expect three of them to come straight into the side and get instant results.

To be fair Fletcher has hardly set the World on fire this season, but he needs to stay in the side as he is the future and we may be looking at a mini re build sooner than we thought.

Tunstill and Sharp will get chances this year and if we really fall off the perch they'll probably get more games than they deserve. Prior needs to make the step up this year or it's curtains for him. But the season is only two games old so we can't make more than three or four changes without conceding we are not good enough.

Really need to work on our stoppage game. Big O is getting his hands to hit but seems lost as to how to find a teammate. Maybe it has something to do with our mids being too conscious of their opponents and not making their own play for the ball. Either way he needs to lift.

Time to release Dunkley and Robertson and have them play to their strengths which is see ball get ball. I feel like Robertson spends all his time chasing tail when his natural game is to get in and under and dish out the handball to outside players. Dunkley is more concerned with bodying up his opposition mid. Time to get their mids worried about ours.

If Berry is to play then it must be in the midfield. At least he can use his size to help our smaller bodies.

Reminder!

We're still looking for the most beloved of BF Lions Board posters - preview writers!

Tempting considering it's my day job. But, I am not sure people will like what I have to say

Our next few games >

v Pies @ Gabba.
v Kangaroos @ Adelaide.
v Demons @ MCG.
v Cats @ Gabba.
v Giants @ ACT.

That is a bloody tough run, even the Kangaroos showed something in the first round so I wouldn't be writing that W in just yet, we will know by the end of Round 7 if we are a chance at the Flag in 2024.

At 0-2 and looking at our opposition and venues I would be happy with 3-4 at the end of round 7, but we could easily be 1-6 and it's virtually season over.

The sooner people accept what Rayner is rather than what they want him to be we might get somewhere with him. He's now lost confidence and struggles to pick it up when he gets near it.

If ever there was a game where he and Bailey needed to step up and exert themselves that was it. I'm not buying anything about the last quarter. They had 2 on the bench , Serong had foot poisoning and they were understandably tired. Whereas we couldn't have been surely.

You can't play M/F unless you have the capacity to get up and back and be accountable. The same thing we criticise Lyons for these 2 have in spades. Not against popping them in for a centre clearance every now and then but Bailey looked lost at that as well.

I don't get how he is in the leadership group. He has no leadership qualities because he goes missing 90% of the time.

Our next few games >

v Pies @ Gabba.
v Kangaroos @ Adelaide.
v Demons @ MCG.
v Cats @ Gabba.
v Giants @ ACT.

That is a bloody tough run, even the Kangaroos showed something in the first round so I wouldn't be writing that W in just yet, we will know by the end of Round 7 if we are a chance at the Flag in 2024.

At 0-2 and looking at our opposition and venues I would be happy with 3-4 at the end of round 7, but we could easily be 1-6 and it's virtually season over.
I think we can only afford to drop one game from that lot - even then we are onky 4-3 - and obviously beat Pies and only lose one of the Dees or Giants away games and win the other two. Same though, could see us only being 2-5 to.

Our next few games >

v Pies @ Gabba.
v Kangaroos @ Adelaide.
v Demons @ MCG.
v Cats @ Gabba.
v Giants @ ACT.

Glass half full - beat the pies who are struggling, beat north, then we go in to dees match 2-2. They will have had back to back matches in adelaide to both adelaide teams which is pretty tough. so maybe, maybe at that point they are gettable and we will have enough confidence to roll them, beat the cats, and then the season is at least stabilised. 2-0 v giants in canberra the last 2 years too.

glass half empty - honestly we just lose the lot including north.

i think even the optimists would say top 2 is gone. It's so hard to finish up there, we have dropped 2 games we would have penciled in at the start of the year.

So the best chance of a flag, as much as it seems like a pipe-dream to me, is to make some changes, bed them down, start playing good footy and try to get top 4. i think a season finals side can win from top 4 if in good form.

Pies will play 2 rucks and they hurt us last time.

Fort should play with oscar
Lohman deserves a full game, should be told your KPIs are tackle and pressure
Zorko to effectively replace Mckenna as a running half back

Fort for Mckenna
Payne for Gardiner
Neale for Lyons
Sharp for Fletcher
Lohman for Roberston who looked very rusty

I think we need some changes without ruining our chances of winning by going berko. 5 might seem like a few. Berry and Fletcher should both learn after their first 2 weeks that they are not automatic inclusions. I had high hopes for Fletcher after his first full pre season but he looks off

I think this would balance our midfield with ball-hunters Neale / Rayner / Clugger, and more defensively minded Robertson and Dunkley rotating.

FB Lester / Payne / starce
HB zorko / harris / wilmot
C Sharp / neale / ah chee
HF Linc / daniher / bailey
FF cameron / hipwood / Lohman

Foll McInerney / Dunkley / McCluggage /

Interchange: FORT as ruck and forward / ANSWERTH as defender / RAYNER as mid and forward / ROBERTSON as mid / forward

Last edited:
Glass half full - beat the pies who are struggling, beat north, then we go in to dees match 2-2. They will have had back to back matches in adelaide to both adelaide teams which is pretty tough. so maybe, maybe at that point they are gettable and we will have enough confidence to roll them, beat the cats, and then the season is at least stabilised. 2-0 v giants in canberra the last 2 years too.

glass half empty - honestly we just lose the lot including north.

i think even the optimists would say top 2 is gone. It's so hard to finish up there, we have dropped 2 games we would have penciled in at the start of the year.

So the best chance of a flag, as much as it seems like a pipe-dream to me, is to make some changes, bed them down, start playing good footy and try to get top 4. i think a season finals side can win from top 4 if in good form.

To that end i would make a reasonable number of changes, albeit not go totally radical

Lyons our for Neale. Lyons was decent but not room for both

Gardiner out, Payne in. Bad luck for Gardiner who was the fittest he had been for ages. Payne should match up well on Mihocek.

Fort in for mckenna - pies play 2 rucks. fort can be third forward / second ruck. oscar going badly but some time forward and relief might be his best tonic

Sharp in for berry - just run your guts out harry. thought he looked promising last year when he had a few games. berry needs to play some 2s and wrack up some possessions

Rayner to play midfield minutes - let's not throw that away just yet, has not been getting enough of it

Zorko to play an attacking role at half back replacing mckenna's role

BACKS Starcevich / Payne / Answerth
HBACKS Lester / Harris / Wilmot
CENTRE Sharp / Dunkley /
HFORD Linc / Daniher / bailey
FORWARD cameron / hipwood /

FOLL
Yer top 2 hanging by a thread for us and Pies, top 2 is usually around the 4-5 losses for the season mark, can we go 19-2/18-3 for the rest of the season :think: ... highly doubtful.

Yer top 2 hanging by a thread for us and Pies, top 2 is usually around the 4-5 losses for the season mark, can we go 19-2/18-3 for the rest of the season :think: ... highly doubtful.

I would just be happy with finishing in the final 8 at the moment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back