Preview Changes for R10 v Hawthorn

Remove this Banner Ad

If Masten gets credit for the team having a "cohesive feel", so does every other player, including Hutchings. So it's not an argument for one individual over another.

That's fine. But it suggests that Masten isn't actually that effective when it comes to run and carry, despite being an elite runner playing almost exclusively outside. His metres gained is actually pretty low for a guy playing that role.
Are you for real?

The big worry with Masten is essentially this:

Masten can run and play alright on the outside and the outside only
Thus, the opposition looks to find an opponent for him that can run just as well and can defend
Meaning Masten is forced to get his ball by either winning contested possessions or a 1 on 1s against his direct opponent.
Which he cant.

If you want an example this week, Isaac Smith plays on the wing as well and is just as fit, can run just as well, is far better one on one, better with the contested ball, overhead, and hits the scoreboard more often.

If Hawthorn manage to get this match up (and trust me, they will be looking to potentially exploit it), we will see how Chris stacks up.

Filling a role is all well and good, but if that role is nullified and you have no more strings to your bow so to speak (ie, you are a midfielder who cant play foward when you are being shut out of the game), your benefit to the team structure becomes greatly diminished.

Why would they tag Masten?

The thing is his benefit to the team structure has greatly improved due to him focusing on his strengths and not trying to be versatile. He's not Gaff, nor is he Smith.

He took 6 marks on the weekend, watching the replay I think 4 of them have been from kick ins and off the top of my head I think there has been another one inside d50, can't remember the 6th. He hasn't turned those kicks over, he's hit targets with ease and has had some good handballs.

Are you suggesting:

Out - C. Masten
In - I. Smith ??

For those interested:

"However, the metres gained statistic is flawed and is a prime example of how Australian sports lag behind international counterparts in the fields of analytics. To remind everyone let’s see how metres gained is calculated.

Metres gained is the distance between where a player takes possession and the point of the next player’s disposal.

While it is impressive to see a player average over 300 metres gained a match, the statistic is mostly empty in its meaning. A player who kicks the ball fifty-metres, to an opposing player is still awarded 50 metres to his metres-gained. Compare this to a player who creates space by hand-balling backwards to a teammate who then is able to make efficient progression up the ground. They are docked metres gained, as the first possession goes backwards."

That is from an article online, I'm not sure if the definition has ever been redefined since then. This would explain why the highest metres gained are often half back flankers.

As for Yeo playing this week, I'm sure he could play, but I don't know if it's better to rest him. I guess the scans will show the severity and the availability of Shuey may well effect the coaches decision.

I wouldn’t risk either player if they aren’t 100 fit

Yeo will play

Shuey to rest again

No change for mine

Reasonably confident for this. Not to be a bathwater type but the sheer ignorance from parts of the media and vics is staggering for starters it’s not at the G and our ethihad record in recent times is very decent.

If you want an example this week, Isaac Smith plays on the wing as well and is just as fit, can run just as well, is far better one on one, better with the contested ball, overhead, and hits the scoreboard more often.

If Hawthorn manage to get this match up (and trust me, they will be looking to potentially exploit it), we will see how Chris stacks up.

If Isaac Smith spends Sunday afternoon running around worrying about what Masto is doing that is a massive win for us.

If Yeo is out I'd love to see Ah Chee be given a significant chunk of time in the middle. Seems to have some similar traits to Yeo, has the big body and and leaping mark with a bit of toe too. Only problem is Ainsworth probably is next in line and he doesn't seem like a forward.

We recruited him to play that big bodied mid role so i would definitely be playing him there and see what he can do.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

if Yeo is not right then he goes out. We can't risk him

Out Yeo
In Nelson

Give Duggan a shot on ball. His hardness in the middle will be needed against the Hawks and Nelson to fill Duggan's spot on half back.

No need to risk Shuey or Yeo before the bye. Need them cherry ripe for Swans in Sydney.

Barrass on the opp best forward worries me, hes had a few bags kicked on him. Needs more help.

Yuck!

Duggan is not ready for the midfield in any capacity other than a quick pinch hit. He is really starting to find his feet as a quality HBF and plays his role well. Dont go turning 1 problem into 2.
If Yeo is out and Shuey not ready then we bring in another midfielder- Ainsworth I guess. I think Shuey will play but this week. He has had a couple of weeks off (3 essentially) and with the bye coming in a couple of weeks, if they think his string is repaired, Im sure they would like to get a couple of games into him for match fitness.

For those interested:

"However, the metres gained statistic is flawed and is a prime example of how Australian sports lag behind international counterparts in the fields of analytics. To remind everyone let’s see how metres gained is calculated.

Metres gained is the distance between where a player takes possession and the point of the next player’s disposal.

While it is impressive to see a player average over 300 metres gained a match, the statistic is mostly empty in its meaning. A player who kicks the ball fifty-metres, to an opposing player is still awarded 50 metres to his metres-gained. Compare this to a player who creates space by hand-balling backwards to a teammate who then is able to make efficient progression up the ground. They are docked metres gained, as the first possession goes backwards."

That is from an article online, I'm not sure if the definition has ever been redefined since then. This would explain why the highest metres gained are often half back flankers.

As for Yeo playing this week, I'm sure he could play, but I don't know if it's better to rest him. I guess the scans will show the severity and the availability of Shuey may well effect the coaches decision.
That's an interesting write up. Give the way Masten plays and how that stat is measured it's no surprise he's down the list a bit.

That's an interesting write up. Give the way Masten plays and how that stat is measured it's no surprise he's down the list a bit.
It makes sense to see players who take kick ins high on the list, each time they kick to themselves then launch it 60 is +60 metres gained regardless of what happens next.

Similar to Dangerfield, he loves to pump the ball and go win it again at the next contest, his metres gained wouldn't be of the same quality as Hurn for example.

Masten would do a lot more 20-30m passes to someone like Waterman/Darling/Gaff/Cripps providing that strong lead in his direction.

It makes sense to see players who take kick ins high on the list, each time they kick to themselves then launch it 60 is +60 metres gained regardless of what happens next.

Similar to Dangerfield, he loves to pump the ball and go win it again at the next contest, his metres gained wouldn't be of the same quality as Hurn for example.

Masten would do a lot more 20-30m passes to someone like Waterman/Darling/Gaff/Cripps providing that strong lead in his direction.
I don't think they include kick ins for kick stats or metres gained

I don't think they include kick ins for kick stats or metres gained
I would imagine it works the same as the actual stat (the kick) itself - if you kick to yourself the subsequent kick counts as a stat n- the metres gained would count after the kick to yourself I would think.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back