Preview Changes for Round 1

Remove this Banner Ad

Wouldn't we be thin at the back if we don't replace Lienert with a defender?

But, if a back gets in, who would he be? And who would get out?
Starting with the assumption that the 23 man JLT2 squad was pretty much our R1 team there always had to be one player cut for R1*. Unless anything with the other 22 trouble the selectors it's as if fate made the decision as to who to cut. In my opinion Leinert's defence/wingman role can be covered with existing players. But if we did replace Lienert (and drop someone else) I imagine Dougal Howard or even Aidyn Johnson.

* Sorry if I'm overdoing the explanation, you do an amazing job following Aussie Rules from Brazil

Perhaps the balls dropped for him, now or never. His career is very much on the line, was in the trade table (sought a trade home ?) and had no takers. Quite possibly playing to save his career.

I've never really cared about Amon kicking out on the full or anything like that. I've always been of the opinion that the poor skills from the entire side was due to a lack of work rate by their teammates.

My problem with him is that he's just seemed to take up space on the field - that's why I gave him the nickname 'Anon'. He never really did anything that made you think he had a positive influence defensively or offensively for the team...his greatest highlights would be when he would get on the end of a chain and kick a goal.

But the player we've seen so far this year is a guy who understands that there's just as much benefit to laying a great tackle or being the link in a chain. He's a guy who feels like he's part of the team rather than on the outside of it. He's always been a great runner and had good speed.

He keeps playing like that, not only will he get a new contract, but he'll get a raise too.

May 26, 2017
Uruguayana, RS (BRA)
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Grêmio, DC United, Pistons
I would do these changes:

In: Mayes
Out: Lienert, and Duursma.
---
Starting with the assumption that the 23 man JLT2 squad was pretty much our R1 team there always had to be one player cut for R1*. Unless anything with the other 22 trouble the selectors it's as if fate made the decision as to who to cut. In my opinion Leinert's defence/wingman role can be covered with existing players. But if we did replace Lienert (and drop someone else) I imagine Dougal Howard or even Aidyn Johnson.

* Sorry if I'm overdoing the explanation, you do an amazing job following Aussie Rules from Brazil
Thanks. You haven't overdone anything. You said:
"In my opinion Leinert's defence/wingman role can be covered with existing players."

I was thinking Amon can do precisely that, right?

I've never really cared about Amon kicking out on the full or anything like that. I've always been of the opinion that the poor skills from the entire side was due to a lack of work rate by their teammates.

My problem with him is that he's just seemed to take up space on the field - that's why I gave him the nickname 'Anon'. He never really did anything that made you think he had a positive influence defensively or offensively for the team...his greatest highlights would be when he would get on the end of a chain and kick a goal.

But the player we've seen so far this year is a guy who understands that there's just as much benefit to laying a great tackle or being the link in a chain. He's a guy who feels like he's part of the team rather than on the outside of it. He's always been a great runner and had good speed.

He keeps playing like that, not only will he get a new contract, but he'll get a raise too.

He had three holding the ball tackles in a half of football on Saturday. Not sure if he would've had three HTB tackles total in his career before this year.

EskimoPAFC

The Comebacks & Family Man
Dec 17, 2017
Success without Premierships
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
He was landing solid bumps too. I couldn't believe what I was seeing tbh.

I hope he has a cracking start to the season, as we all know he'll be the first guy everyone charges after with murderous aplomb if we have a bad day and he doesn't fire.

I've been pretty harsh on Amon on here but I think a large part of it comes from his selection in the 1s in the past when he should have been playing in the 2s.

Im pretty sure the worst was him having a shocker last year against the Dockers with repeated wasted chances and out of bounds on the full, then somehow we still picked him the next week against GWS for him to have another piss poor display.

It's a frustration with the system and the lack of upholding of standards, and I'd say it's the same for some of the other whipping boys of port. Pick on form. Earn your spot. Hold your spot. Reward those who take their opportunities. Really simple stuff Port constantly gets wrong.

Nothing would make me happier than for Karl to turn it around and have a cracker of a year. Maybe the new rules and the loss of Wingard and Polly will help him more than anyone else.

.... My problem with him (Amon) is that he's just seemed to take up space on the field - that's why I gave him the nickname 'Anon'. He never really did anything that made you think he had a positive influence defensively or offensively for the team...his greatest highlights would be when he would get on the end of a chain and kick a goal .....
That minimal contribution but face-saving goal is such an Amon thing I had to look up his stats to see the last time he got more than one. 2018 6 games, 1 goal in 2 of those games. 2017 14 games, one goal in 5 of those games. 2016 a wild year with 15 games, one goal in 4 of them, 2 goals in 3 of them. Debuted in 2015 with 7 games, 3 with 1 goal and one with 3. Had an opportunity for a set shot second goal in JLT2, so predictably missed. And the frustrating thing is he is a really good kick of snap goals.

.... the player we've seen so far this year is a guy who understands that there's just as much benefit to laying a great tackle or being the link in a chain. He's a guy who feels like he's part of the team rather than on the outside of it. He's always been a great runner and had good speed .....
His on-field presence began improving last year. Not in any real measurable way but he caught my eye by creating space and options and tackling like a 40+games player should have been doing. I thought it was too late and that his spot should have been given to others with more potential. I may be wrong, he might be proof that it actually is worth continuing to put games into some players for a long-term payoff.

.... He keeps playing like that, not only will he get a new contract, but he'll get a raise too.
Don't know about more money but if his H&A is at his pre-season level a 1 year extension wouldn't make me kick furniture like it would have last year.

I would do these changes:

In: Mayes
Out: Lienert, and Duursma .....
Why Mayes? I'm ignorant as to why we took him but nothing about his recent years at Brisbane, or JLT1, sees him forcing his way in for me. Effectively you have him replacing Duursma which is an interesting conversation. Mayes is a 189cm 101 game defender who was quite the goal-kicker in his first few years. Duursma played adequately in the pre-season and we're hoping will be a future stalwart of the club. Rats, now you have me thinking Mayes is the better option.

... You said:
"In my opinion Leinert's defence/wingman role can be covered with existing players."

I was thinking Amon can do precisely that, right?
It would be an eye opener if that eventuated but if it happened and it worked you might be head-hunted for an assistant coaching role. And head-hunted in the 'sought for a defined role' way, not the 'I'm lost in the Brazilian jungle' way. At 181cm (Leinert is 193cm) Amon would lose most marking contests with tall forwards. But actual 1:1 marking contests are not so common that it need necessarily rule it out. Speed and experience might be enough.

Someone asking "why mayes" then saying he brings nothing, probably didn't watch JLT 1 closely, and certainly didn't watch the SANFL match on Friday.

He's got assets, and they aren't moobs.

Paraphrasing inaccurately so people seem to say they said something they didn't? Considered a job on Ch7?

Yeah that's cool and more than fair, but I wasn't specifically talking to/about you despite your post containing "why mayes" in it. It's a tough conversation, R1 is going to be hard calls.

The good news is we'll actually have some options if things don't go to plan. The last few years have been musical chairs of 'who isn't up to it'.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jason K

Premium Platinum
Mar 1, 2014
Henley Beach
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
there a lot or reasons why we might be a bottom 4 club this year, especially if we get a few injuries, the main reason is a lack of being able to play a full 4 quarters, against the good teams we will get easily beaten and against the rest it will be a hard slog that if it goes 40-60 instead of 60-40 then a bottom 4 position might well be on the cards.

If you put on your rose coloured glasses you can make a case for top 8 but either way the sooner we get rid of hinkley the better so if that means enduring a bottom 4 then so be it.

I don't agree with your views here. I believe we have the cattle, as we did the last couple of seasons, to be a top 4 side.

Our issues are game plan and belief, both of which are Hinkleys responsibility. We will get to a game thats mmake or break to set us up and we will see the players run out with the world on their shoulders and fumble and have a timid scared approach. Hinkley is not a motivator (it's why our 1st qtrs are either 100 mph or stop). When we fail in that make or break game, the heads will go down for the rest of the season.

Simply making the 8 for this sqaud is a massive fail IMO. We should be beasting into finals

Yeah that's cool and more than fair, but I wasn't specifically talking to/about you despite your post containing "why mayes" in it .....
Thanks, I'm OK with that and will put my duelling pistols back in their box.
So here's the thing, in my head JLT2 was the team the club wants to go into R1 with. Was Mayes dropped because the club was happy with his JLT1 and wanted to see more from other players in JLT2 i.e. he's already nailed a R1 spot? No I didn't see the game v the Panthers and Mayes doesn't feature in the match report.

bacharach

Club Legend
Oct 29, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Looking at the team that took on Essendon in Round 23 last year, there could be around 10 changes for Round 1 against Melbourne.
That's insane. It's probably a blessing in disguise that our significant list changes (potentially 5 new best 22) and more attacking game style is occurring at the same time as the new 666 rule, as all clubs will take time to adapt.

Looking at the team that took on Essendon in Round 23 last year, there could be around 10 changes for Round 1 against Melbourne.

The maths checks out. From that game

Gone
Chad Wingard, Jasper Pittard, Jake Neade, Jack Hombsch

Injured
Ollie Wines, Jarrod Lienert

Out of favour
Kane Farrell, Billy Frampton, Sam Gray, Dougal Howard

Sep 3, 2002
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Yeah that's cool and more than fair, but I wasn't specifically talking to/about you despite your post containing "why mayes" in it. It's a tough conversation, R1 is going to be hard calls.

The good news is we'll actually have some options if things don't go to plan. The last few years have been musical chairs of 'who isn't up to it'.
As long as Ken doesn't bring in Sam Gray, drop a tall (other than due to injury) or bring in more defenders than dropped from the JLT 2 side I'll be happy enough. I don't think we'll win anyway, but I'll be pissed if we revert to a midget forward target or attempting to still overload the defense under the new rules (/game plan talk) when the real stuff starts.

porttoport

All Australian
Feb 27, 2017
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Agree. A Broadbent or Harlett in def would be ideal but 2 obviously being managed. Amon deserves a chance but must take it big time. Hinkley's smirk in presser on Wines looked interesting. Surely not that quickly back?

Lets hope Lycett can repeat last years prelim against Gawn.

He got flogged by Gawn , let's hope not

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

Back