Preview Changes for round 2 vs GWS

Remove this Banner Ad

View attachment 642597

I can't see him getting a game this year anyway, he's not ready imo.
Hopefully Cripps is back this week so we get a bit more balance back into the side. Missed his defensive work in the forward line.

Vozzo said he's available in the health report a couple hours ago.

Doubt we'd be ballzy enough to play him as a rioli replacement though, as much as i'd like it to happen. Didn't look too out of place in the JLT.

Vozzo said he's available in the health report a couple hours ago.

Doubt we'd be ballzy enough to play him as a rioli replacement though, as much as i'd like it to happen. Didn't look too out of place in the JLT.
Ahh, I see I've been duped by a non-SJOG injury report, should have known.
I'm not keen on him playing yet (although I do think he's going to be a good player), I can't believe I'm saying this but I think we went too far the other way and we need to get some experience back in the side this week.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Honestly I'd give Ah chee a chance this week. Bring back a bit more experience and a hard body against a seasoned outfit. Him and Venables rptating through the middle won't be a bad thing either.

Venables needs to start lifting his production levels.

10 touches, a goal and a couple of tackles a game isnt enough. Yes he also ranks in pressure acts but things need to improve.

Venables needs to start lifting his production levels.

10 touches, a goal and a couple of tackles a game isnt enough. Yes he also ranks in pressure acts but things need to improve.

Whilst I agree about the production you're completely underselling his defensive efforts. He finished equal second for team high tackles only beaten by Ryan. Those are very good signs from the young kids.

Duggan used to struggle with this stuff early days as well. We aren't privy to the instructions and roles of each player but I suspect if he keeps getting games then Simmo and co are happy with what he's doing.

We have an efficient style going forwards. Most possessions are generated off half back until we open up the defence. With a couple of bullet passes we are lining up for goal. I'd imagine his role is to provide an option forward and if we turn it over to put on pressure to win it back. The ball can't be kicked to everyone at once, someone needs to play a sacrificial role in spreading the defence a bit.

Out: Waterman, Brander, Petrucelle
In: Kennedy, Cripps, Ah Chee

B: Hurn Barrass Shepherd
HB: Jetta McGovern Duggan
C: Masten Redden Sheed
HF: Cripps Darling Venables
F: Ryan Kennedy Allen
R: Vardy Shuey Yeo

I: Hickey, Ah Chee, Cole, Hutchings

Probably wishful thinking on Ah Chee as he seems out of favour. I think he can offer more midfield impact and is still a strong overhead player to link up our transition.

Maybe Nelson might get a run but they would probably just leave Petrucelle in in that case. I reckon we will rush Cripps back given Rioli looks set to miss weeks - that's kinda our thing.

Hopefully the boys turn up this week. 0-2 with a trip to face Collingwood at the G will have us on unwelcome ground.

Whilst I agree about the production you're completely underselling his defensive efforts. He finished equal second for team high tackles only beaten by Ryan. Those are very good signs from the young kidst.

Didnt completely undersell his defensive efforts at all. I mentioned them but as a first round pick with credentials he should be getting more of it.

Especially with Petrol also a low production defensive forward.

He never seems to get a decent preseason without a niggle or two holding him back.

Shuey started the same but ended up getting a decent run.

Yep, only one game in, but Venables looks a bit bigger and plays with more confidence.
Could have a noticeable impact by midseason?
Patience... look at Redden and Sheed.

I'll keep saying this until all is revealed, don't know what the deal is with Archie?
Why he is out of favour...horses for courses? Doesn't suit structure? Too slow?
Small tank? Has shed weight, had a good preseason unlike last time, he had his eye on the midfield...if not this game maybe soon?

Last edited:
Ok

Out - Waterman, Brander (In that order)
In - Kennedy, Ah Chee (In that order)

Makes us a bit less top heavy. Manage Cripps in the 2nds. Though if the coaches/medical staff are 100% confident on him, he should come in instead of Ah Chee.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back