Opinion Changes for Showdown

Remove this Banner Ad

In: Logan

I want my buddy back.

I don't feel we inspire the fear we should be when the ball hits out fwd lines.

I agree with everyone saying the talls aren't doing us justice in the fwd lines, it's so easy for opposition to run the ball out.

I'm getting the feeling we're either holding onto these games by one finger and will drop off and start getting pelted again soon or we need to shape up and grab these games by the balls. With winnable games coming up, i'd worried we will make the wrong decisions and remind everyone who we were last year.

The thoughts all seem to be the same.
Our forward line is not functioning.

and they never were

we were at the game and they set up in a square formation 15 metres apart

with harry obrien standing in the middle of them

primus looked at harry through the binoculars and i reckon this is what he would have seen

400_F_34714705_EIzPnJs46DYI6yXCNdrPrdxO0dKbY4qc.jpg

then when he scanned to the Joffa toothless cheersquad he would have seen this

Thank-You-Sign.jpg

when it DID come down there, it was kicked to the most mind baffling donkey stupid bounary line positions imaginable.

not being allowed to function more like it

take out 1 tall, put in a small, kick to top of square, or to forward on the lead straight out from goal could have, you know, been worth a shot (just like every radio, tv and ground commentator was saying at the time)

+7

Outs: gray, broadbent, d. sterwart

ins; brt ebert, rodan, sal

Not one of those players has more than 3 years left in our system surely. Wouldn't you want to at least reward Young's fine form over Ebert? I can understand Rodan and Salopek even though I don't necessarily agree.

Also I like D Stewart and I want him to keep playing but if he has to go so we drop a tall and bring in another runner I'm willing to make that sacrifice.

I would be happy to drop him and Westhoff to have two more runners. Have Butcher and Schulz as our talls with a resting ruck going down there. Would prefer Westhoff and Reneouf to get flicked though :)

Just on Rodan. There's nothing going on behind closed doors

Well my understanding is quite different

What they have told him may not be the honest truth

The only issue we can have with rodan (who showed us vs St Kinda how he can be used) is his 2nd baulk takes our forwards out of position

But he never had the chance to do that with our quadrangle of doom now, did he.

Lets be very very clear about this. David Rodan is the sacrificial lamb. We have 5 years worth of some mids who have shown time after time after time that they will not run both ways

David Rodan does not have to be the both ways defensive blah blah that we are told he has to be, if the others don't either.

IF Primush throws a few other notables under the bus for demonstrating the same loose accountability, then I'll remove the picture. But he's shwon he doesnt have it in him

Rodan shoudl have been the sub vs collingwood, Wingard should have been playing. We all have an opinion as to who shouldn't have been out there.

scapegoat.jpg

scapegoating2.jpg

+9

a cant see how bringing in a sub 6 footer forward who plays as a tall and cant crumb is going to help us. what does he give us that one of our talls doesnt already? i can add several things that stewert or westhoff can do that ebert cant. like reach the top cupboard for one. hell, our new ebert drifts forward and gives us another forward option as well.

and people concerned about players not getting picked after good form in the sanfl destroying players confidences in the club are not fully considering the circumstances.

matty " rodan, we like you, but you cant just sprint forward every time they bounce the ball. we cant win every clearance"

rodan " sure"

"and brett, seriously. your 3 foot tall. how can you not pick up the ball from the ground??"

" sorry coach but my arms.... they're so short!!!"

sanfl game rodan picks up 20 touches. still just runs forward everytime without any accountability. brett still plays like his brendan fevola.

not selected

bigfooty-

" why????????????!!!!!!! what will the guys at the club think??

young- "ffs ebert. its like this. f$%ing bend your knees, no i said knees, i frigging give up. no wonder your not getting picked"

Outs: d. stewart

ins; brt ebert

So the quadrangle of doom becomes the quadrangle of derp?

If you think our forward structure is one-dimensionally dysfunctional now, chuck in an out of form Ebo to get in everyone's way, not crumb and struggle to chase rebounding defenders.

He (Butcher) is still such a tantalising prospect. That goal he kicked just prior to the avalanche was ridiculous for a 197cm player.
He has well above average skills in those crumbing type situations and that is what the coaches should be trying to engineer for him. He is fast, smart, accurate, but not a KPP. If we stop positioning him close to the goalmouth where he is easily beaten by pretty well any close-marking backman we may see him develop. I was at the game and close by when he had that shot, it was sensational. Then about 2 quarters later Salter, with the ball in his hands, missed a much easier shot. Sigh!

He has well above average skills in those crumbing type situations and that is what the coaches should be trying to engineer for him. He is fast, smart, accurate, but not a KPP. If we stop positioning him close to the goalmouth where he is easily beaten by pretty well any close-marking backman we may see him develop. I was at the game and close by when he had that shot, it was sensational. Then about 2 quarters later Salter, with the ball in his hands, missed a much easier shot. Sigh!

Before the back injury that caused his stock to fall it was primarily his contested marking that had him touted as a #1 pick.

He is a 20 year old CHF who has played barely a handful of AFL games due to injury in one of the worst sides to grace the competition since Fitzroy. He'll be fine, but he needs games and a functional structure, not the glorified madman's s**t of last Saturday.

Out: Gray, Westhoff, Broadbent
In: Young, Redden, Rodan/Phillips

Young to 'replace' Gray, Redden to replace Westhoff, Wingard to replace Broadbent and Rodan/Phillips sub.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Out: Gray, Westhoff, Broadbent
In: Young, Redden, Rodan/Phillips

Young to 'replace' Gray, Redden to replace Westhoff, Wingard to replace Broadbent and Rodan/Phillips sub.

so westhoff out and redden in still leaves us with 4 tall targets in our f50 and redden/ renouf to rotate through there as well??

at least with westhoff he can play up the ground and go wherever needed.

if we bring in redden then its probably best to leave stewert out despite that fact his form hasnt been bad. but his form also isnt undropable.

so westhoff out and redden in still leaves us with 4 tall targets in our f50 and redden/ renouf to rotate through there as well??

at least with westhoff he can play up the ground and go wherever needed.

if we bring in redden then its probably best to leave stewert out despite that fact his form hasnt been bad. but his form also isnt undropable.

How does it leave us with 4 Tall Targets + the Ruckmen? Its 3 + the Ruckmen?

FF Butcher, Schulz, Stewart
HF Young, Renouf, Wingard
C Hartlett, Cassisi, Cornes
HB Jacobs, Chaplin, Stewart
FB Trengove, Carlile, Surjan

Followers:
Redden
Ebert
Boak

Interchange:
Pearce
Pfeiffer
McCarthy

Sub:
Rodan/Phillips

How does it leave us with 4 Tall Targets + the Ruckmen? Its 3 + the Ruckmen?

FF Butcher, Schulz, Stewart
HF Young, Renouf, Wingard
C Hartlett, Cassisi, Cornes
HB Jacobs, Chaplin, Stewart
FB Trengove, Carlile, Surjan

Followers:
Redden
Ebert
Boak

Interchange:
Pearce
Pfeiffer
McCarthy

Sub:
Rodan/Phillips

that foward line is still too tall. If we're going to play renouf and redden, then one of stewart, westhoff or butcher must go imo.

EFA

This will be Butchers first showdown?

im going on form, and i dont think butcher is in better form than the other two i mentioned.

I thought to be fair, we should put them all in the same boat with schultz being our more important foward.

Dont get me wrong, I would love butch to play this weekend

Saw a stat today that we're dead last in the AFL for hitouts but 8th in clearances. Ruck contests are overrated. I'd rather play D. Stewart so he can contribute a goal or two than play both Renouf and Redden who won't kick a goal or two but will be slightly less s**t in ruck contests than Stewart.

im going on form, and i dont think butcher is in better form than the other two i mentioned.

I thought to be fair, we should put them all in the same boat with schultz being our more important foward.

Dont get me wrong, I would love butch to play this weekend

We're not pushing for the top8 realistically this year, Butcher's development is more important than Westhoffs.

This is a Showdown. We've lost difficult but winnable games the last 3 weeks in a row. We're playing the Crows who have the media fapping over them even though they nearly lost to the Bulldogs at home and made even GWS look competitive. There has been 30 seconds of football since one of our favourite sons went down with a season-ending ACL injury.

Development can get ****ed this week. This week we need to win.

This is a Showdown. We've lost difficult but winnable games the last 3 weeks in a row. We're playing the Crows who have the media fapping over them even though they nearly lost to the Bulldogs at home and made even GWS look competitive. Development can get ****ed this week. This week we need to win.

Then it can't be Westhoff, he got the showdown medal last year irrc

Why not play alll four again?this time against an even weaker defence

Then it can't be Westhoff, he got the showdown medal last year irrc

Why not play alll four again?this time against an even weaker defence

height does not mean a stronger foward line. If we're playing against a weak defence then there is all the more reason to get the balance right.

this 4 pronged attack has not worked at any stage this year (even against st kilda), they have been getting the ball out way too easily

Remove this Banner Ad

Back