Preview Changes: QF v GWS

Pick ONE defender and FOUR half forwards/wingmen from the players below

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Judging by the GWS board Smith has been atrocious of late anyway
He's got ongoing issues with his knee. He's a great wing half/forward runner who been hampered for a while. Leon says the back half of the season. As for Stevie J if you cant run hard defensively against you guys we habe to get someone who can. Hopefully it gets sorted but has been a problem on and off since late 2015.

Thanks for telling me what I think. So home ground advantage, Giants patchy form, Smith and Johnson out, playing talks all over the ground means nothing to you? Either you're a pessimist or you're looking to seem smug if we lose. The only thing not in our favour is Sloane out.
Smith and Johnson's form has been patchy, not a loss seeing them out, whereas Sloane is huge for us.
Our form has also been patchy, we've won 2 from 5. The Giants have won 4 from 5. Playing talls could be an advantage.

I'm not a pessimist, I'm a realist. GWS are a bloody good side and anyone thinking this will be an easy win is deluded. If I'm wrong and we win comfortably I'll be estatic, if we win by a small amount I'll be estatic, if we lose I'll be shattered and there will be nothing to be smug about.

Jeez guys and girls, when did Lever become such an ordinary player?

He had been great this year, and expect him to switch on for finals. Was made for it imo.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
He will be great.

As long as he can play that unaccountable intercept player and someone else can play one on one against the four big guys in their forward line.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

He will be great.

As long as he can play that unaccountable intercept player and someone else can play one on one against the four big guys in their forward line.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
If we somehow try and play one on one in the defensive 50, which I haven't seen anyone do for quite a while... I'd be shocked.

Lever was one of this board's favourites before it became apparent he was probably heading back to Melbourne next year.

Now he is a useless hack that is unaccountable and lacking in so many areas... Many would be fine with him not playing. It's laughable.

Would the other concern from this also be now if we do win this game, Sloane would have had almost a month without a game of football.
Naaaaahh, mate --- it's Sloaney ! :cool:
After a month off he'll be fit, sharp and huuuungry, a cross between The Flash and The Human Torch. FAST, and on fire. ;)
The bye after Round 23 is a bigger problem. Some blokes will go off the boil (applies to all teams) with only one game in 4 weeks. CC, Atkins, JJ are all ready off the boil and we can't have them playing any worse.

Lever was one of this board's favourites before it became apparent he was probably heading back to Melbourne next year.
Now he is a useless hack that is unaccountable and lacking in so many areas... Many would be fine with him not playing. It's laughable.
Fwiw, I hope Lever plays to his best over the next 3 games. We need that. Interesting that he's been named on the bench.
If he then wants to leave the club with a strong, positive culture, and very good coach, the club that gave him his AFL opportunity and possibly even a Premiership medal, he can piss off and watch our future successes (2018-20) with envy and regret.

I dont like Sloane out obviously...
Mate, we'll be all right. Crouch Bros, a fresh Greenwood, Douglas will all lift.
but GWS bringing in de Boer and Himmelberg, is a good sign for us.
:huh:
Why, please?
Johnson will still be a strong off-field influence and the two INs have been given a chance to shine in a Final.

Greenwood would likely have barely played had Gibbs been here so we wouldn't have a gun contested beast ready to come in.
Interesting point. I'm not much one for those kinds of "if" but you might be right, although Greenwood is such a good player he would've forced his way in anyway.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yo, can someone in Adelaide give me a weather update. I only get the weatherzone update which is about as useful as an rollerskates on an octopus.

Still going to be wet, windy and cold?

Bit of a radical concept especially in a final, but what would people think about throwing Charlie Cameron in the the Center Bounce to start the game. Pykey did it against Melbourne and I seem to remember him getting 7-8 possessions very quickly and looking like a real handful.

Risk: He continues his bad form, GWS mids bully him around the contest, his poor disposal hurts us going forward.
Reward: Throw something unexpeted at GWS, play Charlie back into form early, he brings high tackle pressure and electric pace out of the pack

Think tonight will be a 50/50 game. Losing Sloane hurts us but we just need big games from atkins, knight, cameron and douglas to make up for his loss. Feel we will win if we play at our best but also feel the loser can still go onto win the flag regardless of the result tonight.

We finished top and secured two home finals. We rested three key players in the final round. We're not risking an injured (unwell) player in a big final.
These are significant steps from years past.
We've learnt and now we're ready.
<== Yes, all of this!
I haven't counted but there seems to be about equal parts pessimism-to-optimism in this thread. For the pessimists whose long memories fool them into thinking that previous years' results will affect tonight's game:
--- please also take into account that we had Top2 sewn up with 2 rounds to play. That gave Pyke and Co. the rare luxury of an extra two weeks to plan a Finals campaign knowing that the first 2 games would be Home Finals. Resting Tex, Talia and Greenwood was part of that plan. Smart!
--- OK, Sloane's appendicitis was an unforeseen hindrance. Sloane must be 70-80% fit at best to be dropped and that would've made him a weak link, especially with cheap-shot thugs like Greene looking to sprig his guts at the first opportunity. We can bet Sloane would've been targeted and likely to reduce us to 21 men. In a Final! Not worth the risk.
--- finally, please consider that everything Pyke has been doing all year, but crucially in the last 3 weeks, has been to get us into a position where we can challenge, seriously, for the Premiership. We did not finish Top2 after Round 21 by accident.
Our best will beat anybody and that is not true of others in the Top8 eg PA's "best" won't be good enough to knock us off this year, or Sydney. That goes for Richmond, Essendon, WC and ... GWS.
The dangers are Sydney (remember, they finished Minor Round Top last year and will be angry and hungry to rectify not getting the Flag) and Geelong. Even so, in a GF at the MCG, our best will prevail.

To be fair, his form has dropped off quite dramatically to coincide.

At time of writing, we need to win 3 games straight for the 2017 Flag. Even if we lose tonight, we'll get back a super-rested Sloane and will still need to win --- yep --- 3 games straight for the 2017 Flag.
I hope we will win. I believe we will win.
The WE-WILL-WIN train departs at 7:20 tonight. DESTINATION: 2017 GF, stopping at 2017 Home Preliminary Final.
All aboooaaard!! ;)

You didn't watch the Animal House clip, did you?
Nope :oops:. In fact, I didn't even see it until after I'd posted. I was a few pages/posts behind but I guessed it was Belushi stating that the Germans bombed Pearl Harbour ...?
If the original post was intended to be humorous, I missed it (again, just like the scientician post!). LOL @ me (again) for being so literal.
I should change my handle to SheldonCrow. :rolleyes:

Thanks for that.

To answer my own question - he has never been named on the bench this season.

Lever has.
Team%20Graphic%20FINAL%20R20%202017.jpg

Am at South Glenelg, 12.30 Thursday.
What's with all the sunshine and lack of rain? *mutter mutter* :(
( 20Km/hr WSW winds predicted for Game-time, moderating slightly --- winning toss will be advantageous. GO Tex!)

Back