Preview Changes: R2 vs Geelong

Remove this Banner Ad

I thought Dunstall was going to but he clearly knew who was paying him when he undertook his review.. his good mate Roo. And surprise, suprise.. guess who survived that review..

I noticed recently all the usual suspects on the board have “reappointed” themselves.

There’s a few in particular who survived the Pyke era, that sham review, and will probably outlive cockroaches.

Personally, I think it's a myth that Sholl has above average disposal and kind of sick of reading it on here in his defense.

Every time I watch him closely, I see nearly all "nothing" disposals, very many of which are just long kicks down the line to a contest. Taking the easiest, safest decision always.

This kind of play leads to higher disposal efficiency, because as we all know, that very flawed stat says kicking long to a contest is 👍 even though it's no kind of "good disposal" just the easiest choice.

Good disposal to me, is like when Dawson is on - picking disposals that aren't the easiest, but are the dangerous ones, and often nailing them. Hitting the 45 into the guts to an open player that is so damaging. I rarely see Sholl pick the harder, but more damaging choice, and nailing it.

He just picks the safest, most conservative (around the corner dump kick, long down the line) to my eye.

And his handballs aren't special either, I don't see a great release handball in his repertoire.

I see his boring, safe, uninspiring disposal and refuse to call it "good".

Dawnson & Tex have good disposal! Picking hard options and nailing it...
Dawson and Tex have elite disposal, you’re a hard marker 😂

I agree on your Sholl assessment though, his disposal is just meh. Comparing his to say, Soligo’s is night and day

With each loss Nicks love for Sholl, Smith, Murphy will diminish. Nicks is coaching for his future so if he has any brains he won't wait in getting spuds out.

He doesn't. The man is the definition of insanity.

Gollant is a gun SANFL player… one who’s gun SANFL skills dont migrate with him to AFL level..

The forward version of midfielder Mitch Grigg..
It's largely looking that way, would need to take a big step forward as this year progresses or I wouldn't be retaining. Will no doubt get a look with injuries to Thilthorpe long term & Tex being old, you never know who else cops a couple weeks out. Failed on Sat night though granted it was a difficult night for forwards but for all the people rubbishing Burgess I can at least remember him getting to contests where as Gollant was basically invisible aside from one decent mark.

I know its probably the scars of the last few seasons causing the pessimism (along with a worse than expected Rnd 1 showing) - but looking at the fixture, there's a very real chance we could be 0-5 if we don't get our act together.... :embarrassedv1:

I know its probably the scars of the last few seasons causing the pessimism (along with a worse than expected Rnd 1 showing) - but looking at the fixture, there's a very real chance we could be 0-5 if we don't get our act together.... :embarrassedv1:
I would be very surprised if we did any better than 1 and 4 after R5.

You can still love the Club and be realistic about expectations of not making the 8. I didnt think we would make it till 2025, Im pretty sure I posted that on this board.

It's largely looking that way, would need to take a big step forward as this year progresses or I wouldn't be retaining. Will no doubt get a look with injuries to Thilthorpe long term & Tex being old, you never know who else cops a couple weeks out. Failed on Sat night though granted it was a difficult night for forwards but for all the people rubbishing Burgess I can at least remember him getting to contests where as Gollant was basically invisible aside from one decent mark.
I thought Burgess was our best tall forward in the first quarter, arguably the first half. That's not to say that he was good - but Fog & Gollant were both putrid.

Fog lifted in the second half, and overall I rated him as our best tall forward for the game. None of them were effective, and none of them hit the scoreboard, but Fog was clearly contributing more than the others by game's end.

Borlaise was ordinary. THe wet weather helped him
I think we are done with Scholl
Burgess offered nothing
Same with Pedlar
Murphy hardly seen

Keane
Tex
Nank
McHenry
Parnell

Screaming out for Murray and Thilthorpe

Would love to see Edwards or Curtain

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Murphy is Patrenko 2.0

Some one who should have been made a defender, but instead made a forward with very limited forward IQ or instincts.

Will probably be tried back at some stage only to find it's been too long and he's forgotten how to play back.

I have no issue with role players and understand they have a place, but pick the right position for them and stop holding them up as the standard. When you see you're supposed leaders breaking under clear pressure, it normalises this and sets a standard.

The standard shouldn't be too try hard, it should be about executing under pressure.

We should be moving beyond effort if we are indeed finished with our rebuild and aiming much higher.

Murphy is Patrenko 2.0

Some one who should have been made a defender, but instead made a forward with very limited forward IQ or instincts.

Will probably be tried back at some stage only to find it's been too long and he's forgotten how to play back.

I have no issue with role players and understand they have a place, but pick the right position for them and stop holding them up as the standard. When you see you're supposed leaders breaking under clear pressure, it normalises this and sets a standard.

The standard shouldn't be too try hard, it should be about executing under pressure.

We should be moving beyond effort if we are indeed finished with our rebuild and aiming much higher.
They at least recognised Petrenko was limited and worked on finding a replacement for him because they realised pretty quick he was a stop-gap player in the 22.

The issue with Murphy seems to be not that we're using him as a stop-gap while we find someone better, but that the coaches massively rate a rather limited and ineffectual player so highly.

Murphy is Patrenko 2.0

Surely role players slot into positions you don’t have enough quality for.
Surely with Rash, Pedlar, Berry, Rankine the need is not there for him.

I thought Burgess was our best tall forward in the first quarter, arguably the first half. That's not to say that he was good - but Fog & Gollant were both putrid.

Fog lifted in the second half, and overall I rated him as our best tall forward for the game. None of them were effective, and none of them hit the scoreboard, but Fog was clearly contributing more than the others by game's end.
Yes I thought Burgess wasn't terrible enough to call for his head, it was a stinker of night for tall forwards. Fog lifted his intensity in the 2nd half, statistically did not much but he def made contests and tried to get more aggressive.

I'm not saying Burgess will be more than a depth player or even that he's worth us picking up, just it's too soon to say after that game. If guys like King & Luko couldn't do much then you have to be realistic about what Burgess could deliver. Thought he had a few nice moments. Happy to see him get another go at it ahead of Gollant.

Gollant is a gun SANFL player… one who’s gun SANFL skills dont migrate with him to AFL level..

The forward version of midfielder Mitch Grigg..
Thats harsh on Grigg.

Grigg was a gun SANFL player. Gollant has not and will not be anymore than a good SANFL player. Last year was his best year and he only kicked 40 goals. At AFL level he probably kicks half that. 20 goals will not be enough. Hopefully we can get Petty to replace Tex

Maybe a bit harsh on Gollant who is only 22 and came into the system very much undersized bodywise. Also he's not really a KPF more a 3rd tall type, worth remembering in his limited time at the Calder Cannons he played wing/half back with a few squirts in the midfield.

Not another player we are playing out of position mate??? :drunk:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back