Preview Changes: Round 2 v Hawthorn

Remove this Banner Ad

Come on mate, do you really still think your statements of fact carry any weight. If Otto goes ok again, they will not drop him. But they will drop Kelly, regardless of how he went or match ups. Simple fact is that inexperienced guys can be unlucky to miss at our club, but long term guys never are or have been. You must know that before a player with tenure gets dropped it's because their last month has been wholly painful to watch. But we have no issue dumping inexperienced guys and saying they're a bit unlucky. Wright, Dmac, VB, Reilly were never unlucky to be dropped. That's how we roll. Unless Otto has a stinker he will hold his place. It will be Kelly making way, regardless of form, match ups or balance.

Look, I don't disagree with what you're saying, but I don't think a system could sensibly afford established players the exact same treatment as inexperienced players. A team isnt merely a machine, there are human elements at play sometimes, and being unduly harsh on long term players who have been successful (I know you're not necessarily speaking of those), in my view at least can lead to negative consequences.

None of that's to say that we should not simply prioritise the players that are, or are very likely to be better players.

Yes Roos pointed that out in the commentary ... but Lynch will only improve from here. Had a delayed pre-season didn't he?

Anyone writing off Lynch is underestimating his talent and work ethic.

I'm not writing him off, but I also think he still looks out of sorts notwithstanding the stat accumulation.

And now you look like a moron. Thanks lynchy.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
get your hand off it, he was still pretty rusty despite getting on the end of plenty of chest marks.

that miss from point blank and letting Roughy run off him at a tight moment in the game was really something. The fact he had a better game than last week doesn't invalidate any of my concerns going in, like you said, thank him for that.

get your hand off it, he was still pretty rusty despite getting on the end of plenty of chest marks.

that miss from point blank and letting Roughy run off him at a tight moment in the game was really something. The fact he had a better game than last week doesn't invalidate any of my concerns going in, like you said, thank him for that.

Oh lord, you have absolutely no clue...

You know how someone gets a chest mark in today's footy? Work rate.

Lynch works harder than any of our other players. He simply runs his opponent into the ground. So instead of taking contested marks because he hasnt been able to get rid of his opponent, he gets chest marks due to his extra work rate.
I'm not sure how you see that as a negative thing, but hey you're obviously anti-lynch with no basis, so continue on with that.

Oh lord, you have absolutely no clue...

You know how someone gets a chest mark in today's footy? Work rate.

Lynch works harder than any of our other players. He simply runs his opponent into the ground. So instead of taking contested marks because he hasnt been able to get rid of his opponent, he gets chest marks due to his extra work rate.
I'm not sure how you see that as a negative thing, but hey you're obviously anti-lynch with no basis, so continue on with that.
no, I'm not anti-Lynch at all, I'm anti talking about experienced players like they're infallible.

and you're the one with no clue, you realise "rusty despite getting on the end of plenty of chest marks" isn't a slight on being able to take chest marks right? But yet again being pedantic is all the ammunition you've got because you know as well as I do he's not playing nearly at his best. Luckily this week was a big swing in the right direction - he went from playing about half as good as he is against GWS to 70% against Hawthorn - but he'd want to keep that momentum going into the Showdown this week.

like I've said elsewhere, if you think senior players ought to be treated with the same level of expectation as someone who hasn't played an AFL game in a year and a half you're crazy. You can't just back them in week in week out when their form is telling you to drop them, that's how you breed mediocre careers like Douglas' and Mackay's.

obviously playing Lynch again proved not to be a mistake, that's fine, its great even - I want all our players to be in the All Australian team - the point is he was certainly in our bottom few players last week and on a ******* footy forum thank you very much its worth entertaining every possibility at selection. Especially when the reason Lynch came up is because everyone could see bringing Walker back would effect the run we had against GWS, a concern which proved to be 100% valid, and that's against an ageing Hawthorn side who were run off their feet by druggies last week.

Lynch has sured up his spot now, but we need to be very careful about our team balance, ESPECIALLY if we're thinking about bringing Lever in for Kelly and keeping Otten in the side, and if Jenkins can't play. Port will comfortably be our toughest and hardest running match-up yet, and playing chess with slow tall players is going to be pretty risky.

no, I'm not anti-Lynch at all, I'm anti talking about experienced players like they're infallible.

and you're the one with no clue, you realise "rusty despite getting on the end of plenty of chest marks" isn't a slight on being able to take chest marks right? But yet again being pedantic is all the ammunition you've got because you know as well as I do he's not playing nearly at his best. Luckily this week was a big swing in the right direction - he went from playing about half as good as he is against GWS to 70% against Hawthorn - but he'd want to keep that momentum going into the Showdown this week.

like I've said elsewhere, if you think senior players ought to be treated with the same level of expectation as someone who hasn't played an AFL game in a year and a half you're crazy. You can't just back them in week in week out when their form is telling you to drop them, that's how you breed mediocre careers like Douglas' and Mackay's.

obviously playing Lynch again proved not to be a mistake, that's fine, its great even - I want all our players to be in the All Australian team - the point is he was certainly in our bottom few players last week and on a ******* footy forum thank you very much its worth entertaining every possibility at selection. Especially when the reason Lynch came up is because everyone could see bringing Walker back would effect the run we had against GWS, a concern which proved to be 100% valid, and that's against an ageing Hawthorn side who were run off their feet by druggies last week.

Lynch has sured up his spot now, but we need to be very careful about our team balance, ESPECIALLY if we're thinking about bringing Lever in for Kelly and keeping Otten in the side, and if Jenkins can't play. Port will comfortably be our toughest and hardest running match-up yet, and playing chess with slow tall players is going to be pretty risky.

Well why mention chest marks? What relevance does it have unless you're trying to diminish his results. There is literally no other reason that the marks being chest marks is worth mentioning.

He was in the bottom few players for one game, yet hasnt been near the bottom few players for about 50 games before that. This is why I'm calling you out, because its ridiculous to want to drop a top 10 player at the club after one bad game.

Your last statement is spot on, we're going to need a quick side to take on port.

However I think what people are missing with Port is that they're winning the ball more than the last two years. Thats why their run and gun style looks to be working again, because theyve got guys getting the ball at the coal face.

Well why mention chest marks? What relevance does it have unless you're trying to diminish his results. There is literally no other reason that the marks being chest marks is worth mentioning.

He was in the bottom few players for one game, yet hasnt been near the bottom few players for about 50 games before that. This is why I'm calling you out, because its ridiculous to want to drop a top 10 player at the club after one bad game.

Your last statement is spot on, we're going to need a quick side to take on port.

However I think what people are missing with Port is that they're winning the ball more than the last two years. Thats why their run and gun style looks to be working again, because theyve got guys getting the ball at the coal face.
It is easy to win the ball when it is given to you.

Port lost both centre and stoppages clearance stats to Freo last night.

Where they won the ball was through Freo's poor skills in turnovers. Couple that with Freo's lack of wanting to chase, only 47 tackles. You can see how Port were able to look good getting a turnover then run forward easily.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

It is easy to win the ball when it is given to you.

Port lost both centre and stoppages clearance stats to Freo last night.

Where they won the ball was through Freo's poor skills in turnovers. Couple that with Freo's lack of wanting to chase, only 47 tackles. You can see how Port were able to look good getting a turnover then run forward easily.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

True, but they got demolished in those areas last year.
Their pressure around the ball is at a new level compared with last year and leads to your next point that they forced a lot of turnovers (some were unforced too obviously).
We'd wanna be a bit more 'first give' than we were against Hawthorn or its not going to go that well for us.

but it wasn't one game, he was sloppy for all but 15 minutes of his JLT too and took that form straight into Round 1. Just like on the other side of the coin Otten has carried his good form into the real stuff and has been able to hold out a better player like Lever.

and let's just see what I actually said originally shall we?
Lynch ought to be a prime candidate to drop down for a week or two to regain touch, he still hasn't quite got the cobwebs out and doesn't need the challenge of the AFL for development purposes as much as the other guys.
ought to be a prime candidate = one of the players in the gun, not "drop him because he's rubbish" as you seem to have inferred.

as far as "pick the team that's going to beat Hawthorn next week" they seem to have made an acceptable decision, but everything comes at a cost... Menzel had shown in the JLT and against GWS that he's got a lot of potential and ought to be a player of the future for us, now he hasn't played a game in two weeks. Should he have been in at Lynch's expense? Maybe not, but its a question that deserves to at least be asked before you have the benefit of hindsight.

but it wasn't one game, he was sloppy for all but 15 minutes of his JLT too and took that form straight into Round 1. Just like on the other side of the coin Otten has carried his good form into the real stuff and has been able to hold out a better player like Lever.

and let's just see what I actually said originally shall we?

ought to be a prime candidate = one of the players in the gun, not "drop him because he's rubbish" as you seem to have inferred.

as far as "pick the team that's going to beat Hawthorn next week" they seem to have made an acceptable decision, but everything comes at a cost... Menzel had shown in the JLT and against GWS that he's got a lot of potential and ought to be a player of the future for us, now he hasn't played a game in two weeks. Should he have been in at Lynch's expense? Maybe not, but its a question that deserves to at least be asked before you have the benefit of hindsight.

Otten hasnt 'held out' lever.
Lever is being given a chance to get to 100% before he CERTAINLY comes back in. Now if Jenkins doesnt play Otten plays forward, but its unlikely if Jenkins is fit that Otten will remain in the team. They could drop Kelly but then I think we end up too tall.

Its not a question to be asked, not yet anyway. Lynch would need to play more than 1 bad game in a row (I am completely discounting JLT no matter what you say) before he's under pressure. But as we saw he came out and dominated on the weekend.

No sane selector had Lynch in his ammo bag, let alone in the gun.

With walker out in r1 lynch was the stay at home center half forward and had the ball bombed on top of him (walker did this role v Hawks)

Lynch allowed to go further up the ground v Hawks but in first qtr birch and Gibbo let him roam up the ground and build a wall at half back. Lynch started on a wing in parts of second half

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

Back